PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: R
Last Name: Coates
City: Selma
State: CA
Focus: Build
Well last night I went to a meeting of the local guitar society. I'm very fortunate to have access to this guitar society as there are several notable persons that also belong and attend. Excuse me while I name drop... David Schramm, Dr. Corey Whitehead and David Macias Are all members.

Last night David Schramm and Dr. Whitehead were there and I brought along my latest classical guitar for show and tell... Well aside from the obvious warts the verdict was that it sounded very good and David Schramm along with offering more praise than I deserved even offered to visit my "shop" and offer a few helpful tips.

I'm sure to these guys it was nothing, but needless to say I couldn't sleep last night. I'm 42 years old but I felt like a little league pitcher that just had Cal Ripkin tell him he's got a pretty good arm.

Along with that David brought in his latest build. A lattice braced classical similar to a Smallman. He spent a tremendous amount of time detailing construction methods and materials. He then played it and did a demonstration of some of the characteristics of the guitar and showed some of the materials he's using. Really only one word to describe it. Amazing. The sustain on this guitar is spooky. It just goes on and on and on and on.

Take a look at David's site and you can find some construction photos.

Really no point to this post... I just wanted to brag a bit. Thanks for indulging me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Jim
Last Name: Kirby
Congratulations. Sounds like a wonderful experience.

David is threatening to offer up the lattice brace guitar as the next installment of Online Apprentice. I just wish he'd finish up the present one, so I'm not doing the fingerboard, fretting and setup on #'s 2 and 3 as blindly as I'm now stumbling forward on number 1.   

Do you know of any well-recorded performers besides John Williams who are using Smallman's guitars. I'd like to listen more, but Williams just doesn't do it for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:47 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Brag on, Ronn! I, for one, enjoy hearing about the little (and big) successes of builders. It seems that you're on the right track! Bravo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:20 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: R
Last Name: Coates
City: Selma
State: CA
[QUOTE=jtkirby]
Do you know of any well-recorded performers besides John Williams who are using Smallman's guitars. I'd like to listen more, but Williams just doesn't do it for me.[/QUOTE]

That night the discussion included a laundry list of people performing and recording with Smallman's guitars. That said, I don't have a clue. Google Hyz Homepage and you'll see a list of who plays what guitar. I have the same list on my website...Here