Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:19 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Anyone know how Danny Ferrington attached his pocketed acoustic necks?

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:21 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:23 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Well, thanks, Darrin

Nothing has happened for so long that I had actually started to brainstorm the possibilities, myself.  It could be that very few builders are familiar with the details of Ferrington's work, which is really too bad, because going outside the box was his best thing - his innovative guitars are attractive and led to what seems to have been some marketing success, including a design deal with Kramer.

The neck attachment that caught my eye is a bolt-on-style neck in an acoustic body, and there is no sign of a screw in the bottom of the body at the heel. There is no screw plate in evidence. So did he glue the neck into the pocket, or is there some trickier mechanical arrangement? There is a nice view of this on p79 of his book, on a bass made for Don Was.

Lance or Brock, since Ferrington Guitars had a print run of only 60,000 I would be happy to put up a scan of just that small area of the page (for editorial purposes?) if it won't land us in hot water.

Thanks to everyone who gave this a look and a thought.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:06 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Uh-oh, Doofus alert here

A closer examination (under better light) of the Guitar Under Construction pictue on p63 reveals his method: screws driven down through the neck into the block, and then the fingerboard glued down over the screw heads.

Well, maybe that's only one answer. In the interest of the reasons that make a bolt-on neck such a joy, perhaps there is another, on-and-off-and-on again technique that can be applied to achieve this clean heeless effect.

Sorry.....Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:57 am 
Koa
Koa

Hey Dan... Sorry, I missed your post until today. Ferrington bolts those necks right through the fingerboard then caps the counterbore with plugs. I'm not sure how he fastens the plugs but they are likely easily removed.

Have you seen the DVD "Lady Killers"? Some of Danny's instruments are featured in the movie and a short documentary about Danny in in the extras.

long