Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:19 am 
Koa
Koa

I thought I would try it? I've measured my Strat at the first fret-57/64", Larrivee-27/32"..so a little under 7/8. minus the 1/4" (center of fingerboard)= 5/8" minus the 7/16"(hotrod) leaves 1/16"! How does anyone use them? Unless they have a thick neck? Do you guys use a thinner fingerboard? The way I calculate is: 1/4" fingerboard radius 12" will leave 1/8 on the edges. Clinton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:52 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've seen them pop right through the back of several necks - about eight, best as I can recall. I just can't see any single advantage they have over a welded double action rod. They're just too deep without good cause. I just can't think of any good reason to use one in comparison to the shallower designs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:05 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=David Collins] I've seen them pop right through the back of several necks - about eight, best as I can recall. I just can't see any single advantage they have over a welded double action rod. They're just too deep without good cause. I just can't think of any good reason to use one in comparison to the shallower designs.[/QUOTE]

Actually I've had bad luck with the welded ones as sold by AL & others. I had to rebuild 3 necks because either the nut broke, the rod where the nut is welded broke or the welded nut joint gave. They worked fine in a vice before installation, but not sandwiched between neck and FB. Maybe it was just a bad batch.
I now only use the StewMac 2 x rods type and never had a problem with them. I also find them more accurate and smoother. They may sound better too because of the greater mass. They can sit right below the FB without any filling strip and allow for a fairly thin neck IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:57 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
If I recall correctly Allied had a bad batch of rods that did exactly as you described Laurent.  The LMI rods that look identical were fine.

Allied recently started offering a newly designed, stainless double action rod that was designed by Mark Blanchard.  This rod is superb in all respects.  The fit and finish is excellent (you no longer have to grind the weld globs off the sides to make it fit) and by using two different sizes of threads it has a "geared" effect making it silky smooth.  I can turn one of these with my fingers alone and no wrench.

The new Allied rod is the best that I have ever used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:10 am 
Koa
Koa

David, yikes!
Larent, how much wood do leave behind your TR? 1/16"?
Hesh, I rooted for Michigan, now it's your turn to root for O..S...U !   Go Bucks!
Clinton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:22 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

[QUOTE=crich] David, yikes!
Larent, how much wood do leave behind your TR? 1/16"?[/QUOTE]

They weren't all guitars that I built, but I think they ranged from .075" to .110". Unless you route the slot to perfectly match the rod with the ends morticed out to fit the blocks, all the force is applied perpendicular to the neck over less than 3/16 of a square inch of surface area. I'm still a compression rod fan anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:22 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have used Hotrods for all of my acoustics and like them. I rout the TR slot to .440 deep x .220 wide (yes, it requires a dedicated bit which of course, SM sells!). With my final shaping I get about .130 to .160 meat thickness under the TR...not a lot and admittedly a bit on the thin side. Never have had any problems in use however since I've never had to really crank on the TR.

On the 2 Electrics I'm currently building, I ordered the lower profile (about .060 thinner) new Allied TR and expect to have a safer margin of error. Depending on the results, I may change over to the Allied once I use up my existing Hotrod inventory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=Hesh] If I recall correctly Allied had a bad batch of rods that did exactly as you described Laurent.[/QUOTE]

That makes me feel better, in a way… I tossed the other ones that I had, maybe I'll try the new AL version some day. As I wrote I feel the heavier rod gives me a more pleasant tone.

[QUOTE=crich]Larent, how much wood do leave behind your TR? 1/16"?[/QUOTE]

I don't know exactly, enough for sure. The rod sits right below the FB and my neck (.275" FB included) is never thinner than .800" at the 1st fret.