Koa
Koa

First name: Hank
Last Name: Mauel
City: Auburn
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 95603
Focus: Build
[QUOTE=DaveAndy] I like these plastic spring clamps. The only problem is you'll find a few of them very strong and some weak. But, most are A-ok.

[/QUOTE]

I've used this style, too, for about 8 years with great success. The nice thing is that the "feet" pivot so they apply an even pressure to the angle of the lining while staying flat against the outside of the guitar rim. And they will work on any style lining because of those pivoting feet.
The comment about the occassional "weak" clamp is correct. However, since you can often find them in bulk at a tool supply store you can hand pick them and test squeeze as you go to get a fairly consistent set. However, I have found the even the "less taught" units will still hold the lining against the straighter areas of the side bends with adequate force. I have about a 150 of them and can do the entire edge of 2 instruments at a time. If you plan on one-at-a-time then you'll need 60-75 of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:35 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

[QUOTE=Hank Mauel] [QUOTE=DaveAndy] I like these plastic spring clamps. The only problem is you'll find a few of them very strong and some weak. But, most are A-ok.

[/QUOTE]

This is the way Im going, Ive got the bigger ones for more pressure, and smaller ones for in between.

With the clothespins you could cut them to match better on a bandsaw, and increase their strength by adding a wood ship to the outside, as said, at Walmart for $4.00 bag of 50. But these adjust to the angle, these are my choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:55 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I was lucky to have inherited an entire bag (you know the old ones with the wire loop that slid along the clothesline) of wooden clothes pins.

I think the spring clamps can be hard to use because they can be too weak or too strong.....I like these little Irwin quick grips. They are small, light and have swiveling jaws. Also you can regulate the pressure from very light to quite tight.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/productBuyOnline.j html?prodId=IrwinProd100022&skuid=BM59100CD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:16 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

One thing I will warn you about on the plastic spring clamps, and it has little to do with "IF" they get the job done. And that is that they fatigue quite easy and will break just past the spring at the clamp end. I know this because I have used the ones Wal*mart sells, The ones Harbor Freight sells, the ones Sears sells and Ace Hardware sells. They all seem to have this same more than occasional flaw. It is a weak spot where the springs arm leverages against the clamps jaw. Sooner or later they let go and fatigue the plastic. Now I have many of these that have lasted years. but better than 50% have broken on me. The higher the spring tension or the accidentally letting them snap close, the more frequent the failure. Now I have had my set of 1" (wide) steel spring clamps for 5 years now. Not one has failed and i never expect them to.

Also don't fool your self into thinking the pivot foot gives consistent clamping pressure across the whole foot. They don't The clamping force is much stronger at the point of the pivot and is very light at the inside edge of the foot the steper the angle. This is not a huge deal but if you use triangular linings you will want to be aware of where you are applying the force as it is easy with the plastic pivoting feet to get all the force on the bottom of the lining and very little actually near the top of the rim.

I know it sounds like I am viciously bashing the plastic spring clamps. I really am not. They are OK and will get the job done. Plus they are relatively cheap. But for my money the failure rate and inherent issues with the plastic fatiguing diminish their value when compared with quality steel spring clamps or even better the Watkins clamps fitted for the type of lining you use. To me you get the quality you pay for. Now for each of us there is a point of diminishing value, that is why I personally did not buy Watkins clamps. However I plan on doing this the majority of the rest of my life, so a tool that will last as long as I do is important to me. But I started with close pins with rubber bands then the plastic spring clamps. So I do understand starting cheaply but the longer you do this the more important quality tools will become. Just set back and watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've done well with the 1" spring clamps from Grizzly, with a few smaller clamps for odd spots. I've also found that in the waist or cutaway it's hard to get enough clamps in; in those spots I use a big spring clamp from the other side, with a stick of wood to transfer the pressure to the liner.

I have a bunch of the style Steve S shows, but found them too weak.

When all else fails, clean the shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:33 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I measure the width of the jaws, BTW. I see that Grizzly's site is totally confusing about size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:37 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Howard you are using the 1" wide?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:47 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I measured. They are 3/4" wide at the jaws and 4" long overall. Sorry for the misinformation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:08 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I can't find them on the Griz site. I bought them a few years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:10 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

[QUOTE=fmorelli] I'm surprised no one has mentioned the sweet clamps created by our own, esteemed, Mr. John Watkins. He's in mid-move, though, so I suspect you'd have to wait a bit to get them. But they are bojest. Here's the thread:

http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7177& KW=Kerfing+clamp#forumTop

Filippo[/QUOTE]

Actually a couple did including my self

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:39 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I have the Watkins' clamps. They fit the linings very well, but even with doubled bands they they don't have a lot of pressure. The plastic spring clamps I have are a lot stronger. If I could find stronger bands for the Watkins' clamps, they would be my first choice.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:03 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Heath
Last Name: Blair
City: Visalia
State: California

thanks so much for the responses guys. its really helpful to just see what everyone else is using. different companies use different ways of measuring their clamps and that can be kind of confusing. the clamps that i linked to in my original post measure 2" long with a 3/4" throat depth and the jaws open 1/2". if they are similar to the ones i found at home depot (and i think they are), the legs are about 3/8" wide.

like i said, it was really helpful to see what everyone is using and its nice to know that there are as many ways to do it as there are builders. i think ill go ahead and order the ones i mentioned earlier. it is really hard to beat the price. if they dont work i will find another use for them. well, probably not all 100 of them, but ill get over it Big smile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:15 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

You could make your own like this.

Control the clamping force by how many times you wrap the rubber band.

Control the opening width with the depth of the dowel channel.

Make them wide or narrow as you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

bruce, those are sweet. very simple and i bet they work like a champ. i just ordered 100 of the mini spring clamps in my original post. ill let you know how they work! 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:34 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Shaw
City: Phila
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19125
Heath i have these too. I bought a box at the home depot I mean the BORG. They work great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

I have clamps like the ones in your hobby house link and used them on my last linings(reverse). They worked just fine, and a nice fit. I have used clothes pins, the plastic spring clamps others are showing. I like the clamping strength and fit of the clamps better than anything I have tried yet.

I sent a handful to Chris V. and he had some issues with them on triangular linings though (crushed them a bit, if I remember correctly).

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:27 am 
Koa
Koa

mike and rich, thanks. good to know someone else is using them. im also using reverse kerf linings, but i can see how there would be an issue with triangular linings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

todd, after ive already spent my money, youre not supposed to tell me there is something that works better. only tell me that i made a great decision. now, if i find out on my own that the clamps that i just bought 100 of dont work so well, then thats a different story. Big smile