It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:05 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Abercrombie
I'm getting a couple of 'loaner' guitars (steel-string acoustics) ready to put in the hands of various players for evaluation. I need some advice from you!

If these were custom guitars, I'd just consult with the owner for strap pin preferences. However, these instruments are loaners.

What do you folks suggest for strap pins? On my own guitars, I usually use straplock pins if I have any at all...and usually I don't put any on acoustics.

On these guitars should I:
-Put no pins at all (I don't put end pins in, usually) and assume the players will sit?
-Put in an end pin and assume they will put a strap tie around the headstock? Screw pin or tapered?

-Put on straplock pins on the end and heel? Schaller or Dunlop?

If mounting a pin on the heel area, where do you put them?

Thanks for your input.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:13 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

If these guitars are going to be returned after evaluation and I assume they are and that they have end pins in them anyway. Use a behind the nut tie off for the the neck end of the strap and the supplied end pin for the but end of the strap. This eliminates having to put pins in. I would not use this for long term solution but for a temporary setup they will be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:43 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

John, you might check with the players to see where they usually have pins. I'm one of those freaks that can't stand having a strap at the headstock. I'm constantly figiting with it and it just makes me insane.
If you want my opinion, and you put out a blanket request so I'll assume you do, I'd wouldn't mess with the locking buttons. To me, they say "Electric guitars". If it were me, I'd find out where the players like them and just install the screw type in the end and at the heal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:30 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks for the input, guys.

Where in the heel do you put your buttons? Assuming screw-in plain type.

Lower side of the heel?
I've also seen buttons in the end cap.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:21 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: michael
Last Name: mcclain
City: pendleton
State: sc
Zip/Postal Code: 29670
if you are using a bolt on butt neck it is best to go half way between the inserts. not so critical with a mortice and tenon. i like them about half way down the heel and half way between the side and the centerline of the heel.

i would agree with the poster who recommended going with plain strap pins. the locking variety are not really generally popular among acoustic players.

i do not like the heel cap position. the pin digs a hole in the case lining which defeats the padding and can end up with the pin taking a knock cracking the heel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:08 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Lawrence
State: Kansas
Zip/Postal Code: 66047
Also with the pin in the heel cap the guitar wants to hang face down. With it in the bottom side of the heel it will hang face out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:38 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Another vote for the bottom side of the heal (as you are holding the guitar). Another reason is that as the strap wraps around the heal and up to the player's shoulder, it is making some friction so there is less force hanging directly on the button itself.
Predrill for your screw as you are going to be driving into some endgrain and it will want to split. I often drill one size LARGER than the screw, fill with epoxy they drill the tap once it dries. You'll only need to split one heal and have to do that finish repair before you'll take every precaution possible. (voice of experience on that one) You'll likely need to pick up a thick felt washer (Stew Mac or Allparts) because the pin won't likely sit flush on that contoured area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:55 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks, folks!.
I guess I'll be heading down to the lathe to make up some pins for those heels! (Or ordering some from the supply house).

I'm also going to try a set of those 'locking strap ends' thingys I've seen. (Sort of a sliding plastic locking device...). Perhaps that will cure my paranoia about the guitar falling off the strap and wean me from the locking pins.

Cheers
John