Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:21 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It is time time mount the pickup in the new guitar I have completed. This is an Artec Edge-BT model pickup that has a pezio pickup, an internal microphone and a built in tuner. 

I had already got started with this and then thought it might be a good idea if I took some pictures of the operation so that others may either show me a better way or learn from the way I do it. I am certainly up for it is someone has a better way !

First of all, most pickups have a curve to them and you have to match the curve of the pickup to a curve on your guitar.

The next thing I do is to make a cardboard template that will fit the curve of the pickup and fit under the lip of it. I allow very little clearance and want this as tight as possible. It would be easier to take a little more off than to make the mistake of cutting the hole too big.

Next I transfer the template to the guitar and make sure it is in line with the curve on the guitar and not hitting anything major inside the guitar.

When I am satisfied that this is a good location for the pickup and nothing is going to be in the way, I lightly draw out the inside of the hole with a pencil. When all looks good from here, then I tape off the hole using the pencil lines as a guide.

In this case, I used a 1/8" downward cutting router bit mounted in my dremel tool to make the cut being sure to go in a counter clockwise pattern. One of the side braces had to be cut in this case, but I didnt worry about it since there are other side braces on either side of the pickup. I couldnt show the actual cutting of the hole because I needed both hands to do it.

Here is the hole cut out.

Then I placed the pickup in the hole to make sure it was a good fit and didnt need any further cutting before I removed the tape.

Finally, the tape was removed and the pinching ears of the pickup were tightened. The fit looks good and I have a pickup mounted in the guitar.

Hope this helps!

Ken H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

Mr Hodges,

I know Grizzly carries about 5 systems. How does one acquire a complete product/price list? They have a pretty extensive line. I see on their website they're from S. Korea
I also noted that their prices in grizzly are dirt cheap. Anyone comment on their use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:08 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I strung up the guitar this afternoon and played it a while and was well pleased This guitar will be a self-keeper and I plan on using it for praise and worship at my church. All of our instruments are electrified and right now I play an acoustic/electric or an electric...depending on the song.

You can get more details on the pickups at www.acousticpreamp.com

Hope this helps!

Ken H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:14 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hesh,

I was laying some concrete block in an effort to increase the size of my guitar shop. The wife is throwing the guitar building out of the house and I am turning the 2 1/2 car garage into my new climate controlled guitar shop. Right in the middle of giving a concrete block a good whack with a rubber mallet to line it up, my wife slipped up behind me and said something. Caught me by surprise since I didnt know she was there and the sore thumb is the result.

Thanks for the complement ! Coming from you, I'd say I'm doing something right !

Ken H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:26 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Martin
Last Name: Edwards
Focus: Build
I've used artec a fair bit and while they're not fishman they're still very good.

the actual under saddle piezo is $16 inc shipping from a UK supplier. I've used them like this straight to an external preamp or with an onboard preamp.

I'll use them again!!