Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:23 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
OK I wanted to suggest to folks who want to follow along by doing that you prepare yourselves with a guitar that you want to set-up.

So that we are all on the same page this can be an existing, f*ctory guitar or one that you crafted. Below is where the guitar needs to be since we are only dealing with set-up stuff and not making nuts, saddles, fret work, etc.

1) Six string acoustic guitar. Other instruments will of course benefit but I want to use our time to address the nuances of an acoustic guitar for now. I'm open to doing this for any stringed instrument that I work on routinely but later.

2) Strings on and tuned to pitch also meaning it has a nut installed and a saddle.

3) Working truss rod and proper wrench to adjust.

4) Strung with the EXACT strings you intend to use meaning both gauges and brand. Brand you might say does that make a difference? Yep it can various brands have slightly different tension and at times vastly different intonation points. We recommend to our clients that if they don't like our D'Addarios that they bring new string of their choosing and we insist that we are working with new strings that will be tensioned and relaxed multiple times. Older strings that go through this are prone to breaking and we don't sent customer instruments home with something that may ruin a player's day and break.

5) A method to have the neck and nut area immobilized such as a vice.

6) Very good lighting and what ever you need so that you can see several thou of space.

7) Safety glasses, no puddles where you will be standing and don't be working during a tornado :) You knew I had to address safety didn't you. ;)

My plan is the acoustic class will take a month or a bit more with new posts once a week and then we all go do it and then discuss.

You will walk away with what is my hope the best set-up instrument you have ever played or owned and you will now have a new standard for how an instrument should be set-up. You will also be capable of setting up your guitar world if you want to.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): Treenewt (Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:22 pm) • Terence Kennedy (Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:41 am)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:26 am 

Forgot to mention I'm not wanting to address classical guitars right now there are enough differences that they are a subject all their own to set-up.

One example is action. Concert classical action for the diehards is WAY higher than desired action for the guitar player who buys a classical by mistake and just wants to play black bird. So no classical guitars in this one all steel strings please.

We can do classical in the future if folks want.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Durero (Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:23 am)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:07 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Focus: Build
Hesh wrote:
Thanks Brad want to be my TA for this and I am serious? You already took our course, you are great at communicating and your work is excellent. Want to help me with this my friend since you just already did?

Happy to help. Also we have the Google drive from the OLF Roundtable account. You’re free to use it to store and create links to any content along the way. For example, it’s where we stored the Stringed Instrument Craftsman issues for Chris. If you would like to use it I’ll share a password to you in PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 2): Durero (Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:23 am) • Hesh (Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:46 am)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I will be happy to post if I think I can contribute.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Hesh (Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:49 am)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:28 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Marcus
Last Name: Bailie
City: Kirkland
State: WA
I received a setup lesson much too late in my building career and it has helped me immensely. I am very much looking forward to this tutorial.

I made my own string lifter by filing a notch in an old, unused screwdriver. It works ok, but if you arent careful you can damage your strings (or fretboard, yikes)

These users thanked the author Marcus for the post: Hesh (Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:52 am)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:44 am 

bftobin wrote:
Hesh, do you know what gauge the brass is ?

BF here ya go this is what he used: https://www.amazon.com/16407-Brass-Sheet-0-032-Thick/dp/B0006MZOBW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2WGXAUVFT754W&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.9JMCLsZn4-bp7tehlr0kGO4Nc4Z0OuVlAWzXhwsIs8xzUTsl8vkfMTUzp54hpz8FM_FlMCuScxdwiIjdKhJALpE1QlO9sYmZRbyaVWQDzIX19wS6FB6-2u7NwrauNVo3vy7XZZkozmfIRNCWtTDaWdSkJYDYzypX2UwUZ-awfuL4tOxObqp_m8jTS8sizoxlTRu67k3VDj5v6TAOldhiKtWowopoRySlvPlls2tfNOI.N4W66EVhqmeNiJ3HQxPzn-jGzYsyCf5ryqwfUrSGiSw&dib_tag=se&keywords=K%26S+brass+sheet&qid=1713372133&sprefix=k%26s+brass+sheet%2Caps%2C114&sr=8-3

Also not sure if you can tell from my pics but the handle is folded over and soldered so that part it doubled. The small extension with the curl that lifts the string is not doubled.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: bftobin (Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:59 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:48 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Pierre
Last Name: Castonguay
City: Québec, Qc
Focus: Repair
Colin North wrote:
I've got a SM string lifter, will that do?

That's what I've been using for many years.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:49 am 

bcombs510 wrote:
Hesh wrote:
Thanks Brad want to be my TA for this and I am serious? You already took our course, you are great at communicating and your work is excellent. Want to help me with this my friend since you just already did?

Happy to help. Also we have the Google drive from the OLF Roundtable account. You’re free to use it to store and create links to any content along the way. For example, it’s where we stored the Stringed Instrument Craftsman issues for Chris. If you would like to use it I’ll share a password to you in PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great idea but I'm clueless about such things these days. You know IT you read and study all day long and get in the car to drive home from the office and you are state of the art baby. By the time you get home you are obsolete.... :) So even though I am an IT guy from 20 years ago I'm struggling with some of it now in my old age so I may ask you for help with this if you don't mind.

PS: I bought an Alienware gaming machine two months ago and have arrested development with the Call of Duty games..... :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: bcombs510 (Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:06 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:50 am 

SteveSmith wrote:
I will be happy to post if I think I can contribute.

Great please jump in whenever you want you know this material very well and put it into practice too which made us very happy to see.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: SteveSmith (Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:19 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:52 am 

Smylight wrote:
Colin North wrote:
I've got a SM string lifter, will that do?

That's what I've been using for many years.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

Hey Buddy you might want to make one of these anyway and compare the two. My bet is you will like it and never go back :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:54 am 

Marcus wrote:
I received a setup lesson much too late in my building career and it has helped me immensely. I am very much looking forward to this tutorial.

I made my own string lifter by filing a notch in an old, unused screwdriver. It works ok, but if you arent careful you can damage your strings (or fretboard, yikes)

Marcus I have a question that I think would be interesting to ask you. Since you did get some set-up education did you find that anything in your building changed now that you know what you will have to deal with in a set-up?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Marcus
Last Name: Bailie
City: Kirkland
State: WA
Hesh wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Marcus I have a question that I think would be interesting to ask you. Since you did get some set-up education did you find that anything in your building changed now that you know what you will have to deal with in a set-up?

Definitely.

Once you start familiarizing yourself with the target numbers for different elements, it makes it easier to check them as you build (rather than try to fix them too far down in the process). Here are a few examples off the top of my head:

-Neck angle is crucial. I have learned the hard way that if you dont hit your numbers for this (1.5 deg in this case), you'll have to have a bigger bridge or a giant saddle and those introduce all kinds of added complexity. It's much easier to dial that in during build than to fix in the end.

-Fretboard flatness. Checking the fretboard 3 or 4 times during your build will save you loads of time and effort when you finalize the frets.

-Standardizing measurements means standardizing your process and your parts. If I standardize a 1.75" nut spacing and a 2.25 width at the body, then my bridge pin spacing will be 2.25 always. That means I can make my bridges whenever I want and not create a unique bridge every single time.

The biggest "eureka" moment for me was just learning the empirical data for things. This is what a "normal" action at the 1st fret measures. This is what it measures at the 12 fret. This is a good target number for your relief, etc. Once I knew that, it was much easier. My understanding of the geometry just snapped into place and I was able to think of the guitar (and build) more holistically. Before I was always crossing my fingers and praying because it "felt right" to me (and I dont even consider myself a player).

I hope that helps!

These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 3): Kbore (Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:42 pm) • Treenewt (Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:30 am) • Hesh (Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:15 am 

Marcus wrote:
Hesh wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Definitely.

Once you start familiarizing yourself with the target numbers for different elements, it makes it easier to check them as you build (rather than try to fix them too far down in the process). Here are a few examples off the top of my head:

-Neck angle is crucial. I have learned the hard way that if you dont hit your numbers for this (1.5 deg in this case), you'll have to have a bigger bridge or a giant saddle and those introduce all kinds of added complexity. It's much easier to dial that in during build than to fix in the end.

-Fretboard flatness. Checking the fretboard 3 or 4 times during your build will save you loads of time and effort when you finalize the frets.

-Standardizing measurements means standardizing your process and your parts. If I standardize a 1.75" nut spacing and a 2.25 width at the body, then my bridge pin spacing will be 2.25 always. That means I can make my bridges whenever I want and not create a unique bridge every single time.

The biggest "eureka" moment for me was just learning the empirical data for things. This is what a "normal" action at the 1st fret measures. This is what it measures at the 12 fret. This is a good target number for your relief, etc. Once I knew that, it was much easier. My understanding of the geometry just snapped into place and I was able to think of the guitar (and build) more holistically. Before I was always crossing my fingers and praying because it "felt right" to me (and I dont even consider myself a player).

I hope that helps!

Fantastic and everyone should read Marcus's excellent post here. Learning do to a proper set-up WILL make you a better builder and help you avoid mistakes that could make the entire build not turn out very well in terms of playability.

You will be receiving hard specs that could inform you from now on in your builds and I strongly suspect that your factory guitars will soon end up on your benches too.

Not being a player can be a real set-back too so specs can bridge that gap for the most part. I can set-up a guitar by my specs, hand it to a player and they love it as is with no additional tweaking required.

Just be sure to do all the tweaking in the playing position because gravity does make a difference sometimes.

Good stuff Marcus you are going to love the set-up course here and thanks for your excellent post.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): Kbore (Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:42 pm) • Marcus (Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:31 am)