PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:00 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
meddlingfool wrote:
I would also argue that pro’s won’t get much OUT of this forum, even if they put a lot IN.

Be nice, no cussing, and enjoy. Not so hard.

Exactly Ed it's extremely one sided.

For me I've always benefited from sharing what I learned it reinforces what I think I know with the repetition of explaining it to others. I'm sure I am a better luthier because of my participation here and owe everyone a huge thanks for letting me test my knowledge in the light of day with scrutiny.

I receive a lot of PMs so many that perhaps around half the time a participating on the OLF is answering PMs. The most common one is the tutorial "Flattening the Upper Bout." That one seems to come into play for lots of folks who join here and invariably find it, read it, have questions and contact me.

I'm always happy to help.

Thanks Ed I appreciate you and your comments my friend.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 3): Durero (Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:45 pm) • Kbore (Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:12 am) • meddlingfool (Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:55 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:03 am 

Mike_P wrote:
d00d...you either need more or less of that green mother nature stuff...

bad morning? I mean really, you get up earlier than I do...perhaps waking and baking might be the cure? bliss laughing6-hehe duh

LOL You're right and thanks for the suggestion it's more helpful than you even suspect :)

Also, well never mind I forgot what I wanted to say :)

[clap] [clap] :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Kbore (Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:12 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:05 am 

Smylight wrote:
I'm with you Hesh. I'm also very sorry to learn that John decided to keep away.

You have become dear friends over the years although we've never met in person. Everyone here knows you've given way more than you could ever take from the place. I for one know you've helped me numerous times and I truly feel nothing but gratefulness for this.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

Hey Buddy thanks for this very, very much. The feeling is mutual and I hope to meet you you too one of these days.

Please pet the puppies for me they are great!!!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Smylight (Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:26 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:13 am 

Chris Pile wrote:
Drugs or drink don't make the problem go away - they just prolong dealing with it.

Chris thanks for being my friend AND a mentor to me too! I have learned a lot from you and I believe you have a unique understanding of what I speak of here.

You also have a unique knowledge for this forum which is primarily an acoustic guitar forum although that has been changing over the years. I can go to you about a shredder and I appreciate this and you very much.

Wanted to thank you and Al Bacon too for your kindness and help to Cathy Ernie's widow. You guys put a lot of time and effort into helping after OLFer Ernie passed. This is huge and I am very grateful.

Thank you Chris and Al!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:13 am) • Chris Pile (Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:22 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Quote:
thats why I stopped posting here

I don't where else you post, John. I see your stuff on Mandolin Cafe, but no one is impressing me much over there except Forster and you. Lotta self-appointed experts, ignoramuses, and total noobs. I thought some of the other guitar forums were bad. It's hard to make a dent there.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:15 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Allen
City: San Francisco
Focus: Build
I appreciate the information and help from Hesh, John Hall, and so many others on the OLF. Everybody doesn't have to agree, or even like each other, but there's no excuse for gratuitous negativity. My thanks go to the great majority of people here who participate thoughtfully and respectfullly.

Attachment:
More courtesy WPA poster.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author TimAllen for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:14 am) • Hesh (Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:15 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:58 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
I have been doing this a long time and I have learned and tried to share. I am too busy to spend a lot of time on forums. No one gets to the top of their profession alone , someone helped you get there. Hesh and I do try and share. Its sad that a few bad apples have an ego so great they have to feel powerful by trying to bring people down. That is why I don't post much. After thousands of repairs and over 300 builds , I do like to share this info but if a few want to make it aggravating you ruin it for others so what in your ego drives this. As my Pap would say , Many are wrong few are in doubt . I do Pay it forward to people that helped me Frank Ford , Kathy Mashushista , David Nichols and my years with Martin and ASIA. I will pop in from time to time but most of you know were to find me and my videos on you tube are there for your enjoyment.
Hesh loves to share and be glad you have him.
stay well

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post (total 5): James Orr (Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:53 pm) • Kbore (Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:15 am) • Smylight (Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:27 am) • Duct Tape (Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:10 am) • Hesh (Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:19 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:28 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Pierre
Last Name: Castonguay
City: Québec, Qc
Focus: Repair
Hesh wrote:
Smylight wrote:
I'm with you Hesh. I'm also very sorry to learn that John decided to keep away.

You have become dear friends over the years although we've never met in person. Everyone here knows you've given way more than you could ever take from the place. I for one know you've helped me numerous times and I truly feel nothing but gratefulness for this.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

Hey Buddy thanks for this very, very much. The feeling is mutual and I hope to meet you you too one of these days.

Please pet the puppies for me they are great!!!

;-)

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

These users thanked the author Smylight for the post: Hesh (Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:17 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:51 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have been on this forum pretty much from the beginning and am approaching 100 instruments. I still pick up some good tips here from time to time and try to post suggestions when appropriate.

Since you started working at a professional shop your posts have been great Hesh and I hope you will continue.

I must say that in monitoring the forum I have been impressed at how mellow things have been compared to earlier times when there were some real fisticuffs :). I guess I must have missed whatever bothered you but I am sorry it happened.

Keep up the good posts and ignore the bad apples.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post (total 3): rbuddy (Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:22 am) • Duct Tape (Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:04 pm) • Hesh (Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:17 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:54 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leo
Last Name: Pedersen
City: Bowen Island
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V0N 1G2
Really appreciate your posts Hesh and have learned a lot about refining setups from you.

Would still dearly love to take a setup class from you & Dave if you ever offer them again :)

These users thanked the author Durero for the post: Hesh (Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:10 am)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:22 am 

Durero wrote:
Really appreciate your posts Hesh and have learned a lot about refining setups from you.

Would still dearly love to take a setup class from you & Dave if you ever offer them again :)

Hey Leo thank you very much for this I appreciate you greatly!

Sadly we no longer offer our classes it was a very hard and long day for all concerned and disruptive to the work flow in our commercial shop.

I am however considering sharing how I set-up guitars as a thread on the OLF that can be a reference for everyone well into the future. I've been thinking of this and think that you guys would really benefit from a structured, sequential approach, what I developed for myself to how to set-up an instrument.

Monday I have four stacked up for me waiting for set-ups. Typically I'll have four done in about 3 hours.

Most of what I do these days at the shop are set-ups and I specialize in it and do about 600+ set-ups a year now only working several hours a day several days a week now. Interestingly even though some aspiring luthiers look down their noses at the set-up or never give it much thought thinking that the wood working is the important part... I beg to differ, respectfully.

The set-up is the user interface to the instrument and as such it will make or break the individual player's experience with the instrument. A great set-up can make someone a better player too and provide a better show for an audience.

So I dug in and made set-ups a P & L center for our business (profit and loss center) and we tracked them. Turns out that my set-ups are around 60% of our revenue and we also, most importantly serve the greatest number of people with our set-ups. I also made them available next business day and same day with an appointment and they beat a path to our door.

Set-ups should never have to complete for a Luthier's time with say the bigger jobs like bridge reglues and neck resets.

Anyway I am considering this and wanted to see if the incoming unpleasantries stopped before I commit to contributing more. I always want to help folks here I just need it to be a positive experience for me too now and that is all I have asked for here. Civility and no one bringing a prior beef here to sling crap.

Thanks again Leo!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): Durero (Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:25 pm) • Duct Tape (Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:11 am)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:09 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
I can't wait to see what you do on step by step process. I hope I don't need to buy more tools Eat Drink
Just kidding. I love new tools. bliss

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

These users thanked the author banjopicks for the post (total 2): Kbore (Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:03 pm) • Hesh (Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:36 am)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:55 am 

banjopicks wrote:
I can't wait to see what you do on step by step process. I hope I don't need to buy more tools Eat Drink

laughing6-hehe No worries Hutch I'm here to share not be commercial. We turn away over 60% of the work that comes our way because we don't have the bandwidth so I am NOT looking for customers or to sell a book or anything for that matter.

If I do a set-up thread I can see acoustic guitars, electrics, basses and maybe mando only you guys are not very mandocentric on this forum. It will of course be free for all not a free-for-all... :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Kbore (Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:04 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:05 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: Borum
State: MO
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
New Set Up Tools ! bliss

Karl Borum

These users thanked the author Kbore for the post: Hesh (Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:19 am)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:40 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Gregor
Last Name: Crothers
State: Ontario
A procedural setup (as per Hesh) post would be awesome. I hope it happens.

These users thanked the author gregorio for the post: Hesh (Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:19 am)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kent
Last Name: Fishburn
City: Woodstock
State: Illinois
Hesh wrote:
I am however considering sharing how I set-up guitars as a thread on the OLF that can be a reference for everyone well into the future. I've been thinking of this and think that you guys would really benefit from a structured, sequential approach, what I developed for myself to how to set-up an instrument.

Thanks again Leo!

I'd love to see your process documented. In your live class you were doing a refret also weren't you? Would that be included in the process?
Always appreciate your input here Hesh.

Kent

These users thanked the author kfish for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:20 am) • Kbore (Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:24 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
Fretting tools are 15% off at StewMac now. I just bought the Dozuki type saw for that. bliss.

These users thanked the author CarlD for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:05 am) • Kbore (Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:04 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:53 pm 
Koa
Koa

Wait,,,,,,what?

Did someone say new tools?

I'm in!!

These users thanked the author joe white for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:05 am) • Kbore (Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:04 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
Hesh wrote:
banjopicks wrote:

laughing6-hehe No worries Hutch I'm here to share not be commercial. We turn away over 60% of the work that comes our way because we don't have the bandwidth so I am NOT looking for customers or to sell a book or anything for that matter.

If I do a set-up thread I can see acoustic guitars, electrics, basses and maybe mando only you guys are not very mandocentric on this forum. It will of course be free for all not a free-for-all... :)

I would also like to see your toot on electric guitar setups

These users thanked the author dofthesea for the post: Hesh (Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:05 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:58 am 

kfish wrote:
Hesh wrote:

Thanks again Leo!

I'd love to see your process documented. In your live class you were doing a refret also weren't you? Would that be included in the process?
Always appreciate your input here Hesh.

Kent

Hi Kent and thanks for the thanks much appreciated.

In our live class folks bought a guitar that was ready to be final assembled and set-up. In two days we made nuts, saddles, fretted the instruments and set-them up. We discussed neck angles, when to fret (after the board is installed on the neck), etc. It was pretty much hands on for our student the vast majority of the time.

We focused on the fine points and since we once did some ghost work for builders they would hand us an unfretted "chassis" and we as Jean Luke Picard would say would "make it so." :)

Since this is on-line much of this stuff is just not feasible to do remotely such as fretting. So no fretting this time, sorry. I also want to protect the value of the classes that we have held in person. Our students paid a lot not necessarily for our courses but some of them even traveled internationally to come to us.

When they left they had a guitar that had a new nut (bone, always bone with us), saddle (also always bone with us) and it was now a reference if they wanted to use it as one for any future set-ups that they wanted to do. Many students brought an inexpensive "mule" to be their work piece.

We had stuff we had to address too that was unintended and some of that, what a commercial shop does in the real world, blew people's minds who were used to the forum world. One example was a bridge that lifted on a student guitar. We took it off, put it back on with HHG and strung it up in only an hour. We've asked the steward to tell us when and if that bridge ever lifts again and we have not heard form him in 4 - 5 years .... :) Not recommending a 1 hour cure time on HHG and we would not do this to a customer instrument of course but it does underscore that some of the things we discuss here may not be completely accurate....

We had a student/instructor ratio of one instructor for ever two students so we were involved with our guests every.... step.... of..... the .....way. Dave never got to sit down for something like 12 hours straight which is part of the reason we don't want to do it anymore, too long a day for everyone.

The inspiration for the class was my personal experience using the OLF to build guitars and then one day being faced with a fully finished instrument that needed a nut, saddle, frets and a final set-up. The things that are not discussed here very often because this forum is dominated by woodworkers not guitar nerds was where I wanted the focus.

Our students seemed to eat it up and we learned from them too (such as the one hour glue and string HHG bridge... :) ).

What I envision here is much simpler and since it's a thread and not a visit no fretting just references to same, no nut making, just setting up the nut, no saddle making, compensation, etc and instead working what an existing saddle to make it work.

I'm also envisioning that you can take your Martin or whatever and follow the thread and come away with a beautiful set-up that we hear from our clients is better than the instrument ever played before. A new guitar from a store or big box store would be perfect for this too. I'm actually sure that any guitar in most people's fleets would benefit as well.

People don't recognize that the vast majority of new guitars have not been set-up. A f*ctory set-up if it's not a very small handful of builders like Suhr, Collings, Sadowsky and others..... sucks and is not even close.

Nut slot cutting is an art into itself and YES I will address that. So stores, not all but most in my experience and big box stores rarely cut nut slots as they should be and that makes a HUGE different in how it plays AND if it plays in tune. It's also the second thing in the sequence that should be addressed. Set relief, cut the slots there is one and two for you. :)

These may be the only tools too that people will need if they don't have them. No three corner files repurposed for us a V shaped nut slot is not a good thing and I won't be teaching that. It encourages a string to bind as the V snugs up and that causes tuning errors and can also result in broken strings. We will teach the use of the StewMac gauged nut files that I use. So a good thing to do to prepare for the on-line class is to get StewMac or anyone's gauged nut files, I personally like the StewMac ones the best. Have them in the gauges that you use for strings so for me a pack of D'Addarrio EJ-16 would be what I would make sure I have files for, six individual files. Or for an electric my choice would be EXL-110s also by D'Addarrio and I would have files to match those strings.

Stores these days having to compete with big box stores either don't set up the instruments that they sell at all... or well. We have a big box store near us and we often see their customers post new guitar purchase for me to dial it in, finally....

I have a lot of specs that I work to in my head for setting up things. Useless pieces of knowledge that I use every day that someone here might really appreciate perhaps on a wall of their shop. One example is what I set action and relief to AFTER a few prerequisites are accomplished. There is a sequence to a good set-up if you don't want to have to address the same adjustment more than once and that is what I developed and am kind of proud of.

Another useless piece of knowledge that is one of the many that I would impart is we often set-up for a pick-up, pretty common requirement isn't it and most of my Heshtones sold to gigging musicians who needed a pick-up. So an LR Baggs Anthem or Element use an UST (under saddle transducer) that if you add it to the saddle slot to get the very same action you need to remove 0.032" from the bottom of the saddle. Stuff like this is in the set-up domain and it's the stuff I want to share or would share.

Anyway I plan on doing it I just want to think about it and maybe survey you guys for what you want to see or have addressed so that this is as useful to you as possible.

Clearly I see the interest here and it's noted so I do plan on doing this, thanks Kent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:07 am 

dofthesea wrote:
Hesh wrote:
banjopicks wrote:

I would also like to see your toot on electric guitar setups

Thought so and if I were planning on participating with this the electric guitar set-up part would be very interesting to me so YES I do plan on doing one :)

We used to call electrics "the dark side" on this forum. They are my first love :? :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Quote:
Thought so and if I were planning on participating with this the electric guitar set-up part would be very interesting to me so YES I do plan on doing one :)

We used to call electrics "the dark side" on this forum. They are my first love :? :D

I look forward to that Hesh.
bliss bliss bliss

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Hesh (Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:06 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:45 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Hesh,

In the interest of accurate information, I must add a correction.

It’s Jean-Luc Picard.

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Hesh (Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:06 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:54 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Looking forward to updating my doc - https://1drv.ms/w/s!AqpMOPRCiq5ajcVg3dkpc_OkSxqqgw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Hesh (Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:08 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:08 pm 

meddlingfool wrote:
Hesh,

In the interest of accurate information, I must add a correction.

It’s Jean-Luc Picard.

You are absolutely correct Ed, shame on me I stand corrected. :D Live long and prosper my friend. :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: meddlingfool (Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:27 pm)