PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:09 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
bcombs510 wrote:
Looking forward to updating my doc - https://1drv.ms/w/s!AqpMOPRCiq5ajcVg3dkpc_OkSxqqgw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

:D Pretty cool Brad YES I will have a lot more information for you. More to come.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:03 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Goodness! I suppose I missed the last couple Flight Nights here, given I am buried in setting up the new clinic. Was there some sort of off-line spat that triggered this very public discussion? Having looked through the most recent threads, it seems like the usual intellectual disagreements on methods, materials, or sartorial choices, though certainly nothing that rose to the smack-downedness and histrionics of the early 2010's. Not to rehash the thread, but a concise summary of what triggered this dust-up would be helpful, as I thought we were all more-or-less getting along.

Condolences on you and your family's loss, of course. For what it might be worth, it took me about three years after the passing of my father to fully return to my usual cheerful, well-balanced, outgoing, near-flawless personality. While nearly all of us will end up as orphans at some point in our lives - hopefully no sooner than when our parents are ready to move on - the loss still serves to dis-balance and disrupt. I was lucky enough to bury myself in the beginning stages of my time at Greenridge, which was infinitely preferable to engaging in the same old routine, leaving entirely too much mental capacity available for darker thoughts or the mental spinning that is so damaging to equilibrium. Passion for the journey into something new seems infinitely preferable to mere distraction, as sorrow and grief require both outlet and a path along which to transform into reverence and fond remembrance.

Best wishes on your journey, and do try to remember to ask for help early and often - this from someone that did not and certainly suffered needlessly because of it.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Hesh (Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:24 am)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:46 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Woodie G wrote:
Goodness! I suppose I missed the last couple Flight Nights here, given I am buried in setting up the new clinic. Was there some sort of off-line spat that triggered this very public discussion? Having looked through the most recent threads, it seems like the usual intellectual disagreements on methods, materials, or sartorial choices, though certainly nothing that rose to the smack-downedness and histrionics of the early 2010's. Not to rehash the thread, but a concise summary of what triggered this dust-up would be helpful, as I thought we were all more-or-less getting along.

Condolences on you and your family's loss, of course. For what it might be worth, it took me about three years after the passing of my father to fully return to my usual cheerful, well-balanced, outgoing, near-flawless personality. While nearly all of us will end up as orphans at some point in our lives - hopefully no sooner than when our parents are ready to move on - the loss still serves to dis-balance and disrupt. I was lucky enough to bury myself in the beginning stages of my time at Greenridge, which was infinitely preferable to engaging in the same old routine, leaving entirely too much mental capacity available for darker thoughts or the mental spinning that is so damaging to equilibrium. Passion for the journey into something new seems infinitely preferable to mere distraction, as sorrow and grief require both outlet and a path along which to transform into reverence and fond remembrance.

Best wishes on your journey, and do try to remember to ask for help early and often - this from someone that did not and certainly suffered needlessly because of it.

Thank You Woodie especially for sharing your own experiences with loss and grieving. It's the hardest thing I have ever had to do and I've never struggled this much or this long with anything before. Everyday in the late afternoon as much as a try the images of my Mom slowly dying over six awful weeks come back to me. And of course these days I have too much time on my hands too so needed distractions such as what you did getting lost in Lutherie I don't have enough to do.

When my father the war hero passed I had such dislike for him that I never shed a tear. Then over the years I began to wonder if I am some kind of cold sort who can't feel for anyone else and I hoped that was not the case. So no tears for my Dad, not a one ever.

When my Mom passed I learned that my tear ducts work quiet well.

Anyway as to what happened there was no incident, no exchange, no one being a jerk recently. I wrote something as a reply to someone and found myself waking up in the middle of the night wondering if any of two people, I think.... who only show up to fight and attack me if you look at their thread history would corrupt my post and intent and start a fight.

I sat here in the middle of the night hearing Mario and Rick and Dave Collins and Sylvan and others who have specifically told me to get the hell out of the forum it was not a good place for anyone with skin in the game in terms of working in the trade.

And then I pushed back and remembered the Israeli in me and said to myself this is BS I'm going to shine the light of day on the offense and if possible the offenders. I continue to believe that the vast majority of folks here are very decent and that they would also not want their forum to be used for reasons that are specifically against the written rules here. We actually see this happen in this thread too what I described concerns me and what I would hope others would do for everyone's sake. It's always great to see someone stand up for decency.

Thanks again for sharing a deeply personal and sad subject I appreciate it greatly. If you have not noticed I am someone who will openly talk about nearly anything. If it's deeply personal to me I may discuss with perfect strangers. Most of the time people surprise me in a very good and decent way and that brings me back and is greatly appreciated.

You already know I'm nuts :) so I will tell you that I am still speaking with my Mom. I tell her I love her and I miss her with all my heart a bunch of times every day. No one is there of course I am just peaking out loud to an empty room or car. She told me that she would come back as a bird and she once wrote a children's book about Robbie Robin so I am seeing Robins now venturing from their watering spots and into the neighborhoods of Michigan. When I see one I say hi to my Mom.... just in case that's her.

For many of my male friends their Dads were their role models and who became the model of what and who they wished to become. For me and on a public forum I have no qualms sharing that my Mom was my positive role model and for her it was her father who was a very good man and a New Jersey Blacksmith.

Time flys. Thanks Woodie.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: bcombs510 (Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:38 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Focus: Build
Hesh my friend, I’m so sorry for your loss and I send my deepest condolences. Truly it is one of the hardest things in life when we must bid our parents farewell.

Glad to hear you plan to continue fighting the good fight. I have barely set foot in here for the last few months for a few reasons, one being I’ve just been busy in my own repair business, but in part because of a thread a while back which rubbed me the wrong way. Someone (not a luthier, either pro or amateur) joined the forum and started a thread complaining about work they’d had done in a pro shop. A proportion of thread respondents seemed quite interested in criticising the work (which none of them had ever seen or actually evaluated) from a shop they’d never visited, based solely on the word of an anonymous alleged customer of that business. We had no way of knowing if the original post was genuine or malicious from someone with an axe to grind. Thankfully the shop was not named, although hints were dropped.

Anyone who has actually tried to pay the bills working on or building guitars knows it’s no walk in the park. Watching a peanut gallery of (mainly) hobbyists earnestly passing judgement on a pro shop, based on pure hearsay, struck me as so ludicrous that I decided I needed a break.

It’s not a big leap from a thread like that to one where a shop is actually named and real damage is done to someone’s business, livelihood and family.

For the most part, however, this place has been instrumental in the advancement of my own career and it has been thanks to the selfless contributions from Hesh, Chris, Woodie, John, Barry, Pierre and the many others before them who have been willing to share their hard-won knowledge with us.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 2): Barry Daniels (Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:02 am) • Juergen (Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:56 am)