PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:45 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
Ain’t seen that before…

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post (total 3): Kbore (Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:31 pm) • Robbie_McD (Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:28 am) • Durero (Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:07 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:02 pm 
Koa
Koa

Looks kind of cool like a neckthrough. Should have added some frets. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I hadn't seen that either. I took a look at the builder's website to see what's going on there and the bridge actually extends all the way to the rosette. It's not just an insert on the top as a design element to visually continue the fretboard past the sound hole to the bridge.

From the website:
"From the design point it is the logical extension of the fretboard, but from the practical point it has a crucial input on the sound of a guitar. Instead of the cross to the fibers of the soundboard glued bridges on traditional guitars (which is a bit similar to a laminated, locked wood), my eyestone-bridge goes with the fibers of the soundboard and with that got a significant influence on the vibration movement of the top. The positive effect of the large gluing contact of that bridge to the sound board has already been reported and stated in the 1980s by the well-respected German engineer for acoustics, Prof. Jürgen Meyer. A similar result is created with the new bracing concept of a well-known US guitar factory."

Doesn't explicitly explain the functional reason for the bridge design but it certainly is interesting. He builds some pretty cool looking guitars.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: Kbore (Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:34 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:28 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

The section of the bridge between the saddle and rosette is fairly thin and covers the soundboard in a relatively inactive area (assuming braces structurally support that spot as they do in most successful schemes) Not having "wings" on the bridge might help keep the weight down. It may just be another way to do things
Being "somewhat" of a traditionalist I don't find it appealing, but I've tried enough hair brained ideas over the years (and still have a few to try!) that I'm not too critical of it.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Kbore (Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:33 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:32 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

The bridge does act as a brace across the top, and the length and stiffness of the 'wings' can be used as a 'fine tuning' mechanism in some cases. This is more important on Classicals, where the fan bracing doesn't have nearly as much cross stiffness as the X braces on most steel strings.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post: Kbore (Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:36 pm)