Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:20 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Greg
Last Name: Holmberg
State: California
Focus: Build
Over on anzlf.com, I've posted several spreadsheets in the past, implementing various formulas from the book "Contemporary Acoustic Guitar" by Trevor Gore and Gerard Gilet. Panel thickness, fret positions, fretboard radius/width, neck shape, intonation compensation, 4DOF model, brace stress/sizing.

I decided to combine these into one big spreadsheet file with 20 worksheets, and create connections between them, so when you change one worksheet it affects others. In essence, I've tried to create a complete acoustic guitar model. How accurately this predicts acoustic function is yet to be seen.

I place them here for your use, in the hopes that they will be used to create better acoustic guitars. I feel that the necessity of creating ones own spreadsheets from the book is too high a hurdle for most people, and this has hindered the successful use of the wonderful information in the books. Yes, you can use the books to make a copy of a Medium Falcate steel-string, but I would like to see some new designs.

You may copy and modify these spreadsheets for your own purposes, just always keep the copyright and the links to the original spreadsheet, and to the documentation.

You can work with these directly in Google Sheets (free to use, nothing to install) in your web browser, or can download an Excel or OpenDocument file to work on them offline. Use the File -> Download command in Google Sheets. For the OpenDocument files, I recommend the free LibreOffice software, available on all platforms.

Feedback, constructive or otherwise, is always appreciated.

I'm looking for people who would like to test the spreadsheets and work with me to find bugs. Please send me a PM if you're interested.

Greg

These users thanked the author GregHolmberg for the post (total 4): jfrench (Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:46 am) • Pat Foster (Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:57 pm) • J De Rocher (Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:36 pm) • bcombs510 (Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:38 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:30 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
This is awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Thanks, Greg. This is great.

The expectation here is that I choose one of the existing templates (CF, no CF or Nylon), make a copy, and plug in all the details for my instrument. Is there a way to share the results back to the community. Perhaps we make a common access OLF document?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:43 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Greg
Last Name: Holmberg
State: California
bcombs510 wrote:
The expectation here is that I choose one of the existing templates (CF, no CF or Nylon), make a copy, and plug in all the details for my instrument. Is there a way to share the results back to the community. Perhaps we make a common access OLF document?

Yes, that's the idea.

I don't have starting points for any "normally" braced guitars (these are all falcate) because the book only really has data on those. So we could use some folks to measure their guitar, fill in the spreadsheet (probably starting from the no CF one), fit the model, and validate it against the frequencies they record from that guitar.

Giuliano Nicoletti has a nice tutorial on taking frequencies here. He also has a book on the subject, MASTERING THE SOUND OF THE ACOUSTIC GUITAR, available on Amazon.

If you continue to work with the spreadsheet in Google Sheets, then you can just post a link to it if you want to share it. At the top right is a blue button "Share". When you share it, make it so "anyone with the link" can view. They won't be able to modify it, only copy it.

Let me know if you have any questions about how to use it.

Greg

These users thanked the author GregHolmberg for the post: bcombs510 (Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:38 am)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

GregHolmberg wrote:
Giuliano Nicoletti . . . also has a book on the subject, MASTERING THE SOUND OF THE ACOUSTIC GUITAR, available on Amazon.

Which, IMO, is phenomenal.

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: bcombs510 (Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:38 am)