Post subject: Shop wall paint…
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
Just curious as to what people are using and why? Bright white? Off white? Glossy? Matte?

Post subject: Re: Shop wall paint…
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
I paint all of my walls white—basic white (semigloss). I like the light in the room. It makes it easier to see. That’s particularly useful in the shop. And, there’s never any question what touchup paint to use. The semigloss holds up well—you can clean it without wiping it off. (And, we never have to change furniture to match the walls.)

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:17 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
You’re probably looking more for feedback from folks not in home shops, but when I reconfigured my shop I put up some white paneling and white control wall modules. This little corner of the shop is very bright and I enjoy it a lot more than before. It’s weird how much of a mental effect it has. Still no windows though. :D

This end of the shop is how the whole thing used to be, with open studs and insulation. I may put the paneling up everywhere, if I decide to stay here long(er) term.

I used white panels for the spray booth for the same reason and it has worked out well.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:17 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:36 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

That’s a fine looking shop! I worked with no windows for nearly 20 years. When I did a shop mod and finally uncovered one it was very uptick in morale.

I’m a bit concerned with full white possibly being too bright. Probably semigloss will help in not being overbearingly bright…

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:18 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:46 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Keith
City: Conroe
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 77384
As a retired painting contractor I would suggest a warm off white as opposed to a pure or cold white. They can be a little stark and cold feeling, but a warm white is easier on the eyes and sets a calmer mood. It will also be more compatible with the natural wood tones. Any sheen above a flat works well for dusting off the walls without marking, and an eggshell for instance has a softer glow than harsher semi gloss or gloss, which can feel kind of industrial, and is easier to touch up when needed without showing.

These users thanked the author modkev for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:19 pm) • meddlingfool (Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:21 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I’ve always used satin Antique white. I find pure white to be a bit much. The Antique white because it is a stock color and cheaper than getting something mixed.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:20 pm) • meddlingfool (Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:21 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
I'm currently without a shop until I get around to finishing my basement remodel but have been pondering this exact question. I moved form a dingy unfinished area of a basement to a room with finished Drywall a dozen years ago and I was amazed at how much better I felt with brighter painted walls. It was just more relaxing. That shop was painted a color very similar to the yellow on this site where it says subscribe topic. . . at the beginning of each thread. When I moved, the new shop space was already that light gray color that everyone seemed to start paining their interiors 5 years ago. It was fine but not as soothing. I think, at least for me, all white would be too much.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:23 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:13 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
It's perhaps worth saying that a too bright workspace is a combination of the wall colour and the temperature and power of the lighting. I recently installed a LED strip, replacing a dead fluorescent tube and chose much too high a temperature. I can live with it but I will be more careful next time!

Cheers Dave

These users thanked the author Dave m2 for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:23 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Much worth saying, thanks. Lights are a follow up question. I am concerned about too bright as new space has two 4x10 windows south facing. Probably wont even need overheads most of the time…

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:24 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Russell
State: Michigan USA
This is an important issue if you deal with colors. Having worked half of my life as a painter in a body shop it is impossible to match (or judge) colors unless you are using Daylight (Kelvin temperature of 5000K) bulbs. I prided myself for being able to tint colors to match perfectly and lighting is the key to being able to see color correctly.

The color of your walls must be added into the equation because it will be reflected into your shop. So if you use daylight bulbs but have you walls painted yellow then you defeat the reason to have daylight bulbs.

Here is an example: I once got a job at a shop that had a "theme paint scheme" The entire shop was painted with yellow on the upper half and blue on the lower half with a red line between the two colors. I was hired because the old painter couldn't match colors duh I told them why he couldn't match anything and I had them re-paint the walls white before I would even start working.

Not to say that finishing wood needs perfect lighting but you will not be able to see the natural color of the wood because you will be casting blue or yellow (cool or warm) light onto your work.

Also, blue light is known to cause eye strain and yellow light has a tendency to seem dingy.

So needless to to say I prefer daylight bulbs and neutral white walls but it all comes down to what your own personal preferences

Cheers
Bob

These users thanked the author RusRob for the post (total 3): Bryan Bear (Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:17 pm) • Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:30 pm) • Smylight (Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:10 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:24 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I’m gonna have a ton of natural light through a pair of 4x10 windows…

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:30 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:23 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
White! Our shop(s) including my home shop are used for a lot of photography and video work so we want lots of reflected light.

We also use different temp bulbs and find that we can see better with a mixture of different temp fixtures.

I'll add that these days there are significant reasons to want a shop lighting to be efficient from a cost and planet view point. White walls help maximize minimal lighting and when we turn up the lights we can see all we need to see.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:31 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:11 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Pierre
Last Name: Castonguay
City: Québec, Qc
RusRob wrote:
This is an important issue if you deal with colors. Having worked half of my life as a painter in a body shop it is impossible to match (or judge) colors unless you are using Daylight (Kelvin temperature of 5000K) bulbs. I prided myself for being able to tint colors to match perfectly and lighting is the key to being able to see color correctly.

The color of your walls must be added into the equation because it will be reflected into your shop. So if you use daylight bulbs but have you walls painted yellow then you defeat the reason to have daylight bulbs.

Here is an example: I once got a job at a shop that had a "theme paint scheme" The entire shop was painted with yellow on the upper half and blue on the lower half with a red line between the two colors. I was hired because the old painter couldn't match colors duh I told them why he couldn't match anything and I had them re-paint the walls white before I would even start working.

Not to say that finishing wood needs perfect lighting but you will not be able to see the natural color of the wood because you will be casting blue or yellow (cool or warm) light onto your work.

Also, blue light is known to cause eye strain and yellow light has a tendency to seem dingy.

So needless to to say I prefer daylight bulbs and neutral white walls but it all comes down to what your own personal preferences

Cheers
Bob

As a lifelong photographer I couldn’t agree more with what Bob says.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

These users thanked the author Smylight for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:32 pm)