Walnut
Walnut

First name: wade
Last Name: lucas
City: Eastsound
State: WA
Zip/Postal Code: 98245
Focus: Repair
Having trouble bending Honduran hog on John H. Bender. Thicknessed to .075", I'm 1 out of 4 successful the other 3 has breaks, OM size. John says light spritz, Mahogany doesn't like a lot of water. DYI guitar says soak hog for 15 minutes and wrap in foil. I know there is a learning curve and I try to follow basic steps. The one that survived was the water soak. Hope the water marks come out. Any comments appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author wade lucas for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:15 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
I’d be curious to see how the mahogany is cut. I follow John’s method and I’ve never had mahogany break…

Take some pics?

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:15 pm) • wade lucas (Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:48 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Ball
The only problems I've had bending mahogany have been rippling in the waist (too much water) and compression in the waist (not hot enough/applying pressure too soon). I pretty much follow John's method, and even for very tight waists I haven't had problems. I bend my sides a little thicker than you do for guitars--maybe .08 to .085, but thinner on ukes. Are they cracking in the waist?

Dave

These users thanked the author ballbanjos for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:17 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:18 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

ballbanjos wrote:
The only problems I've had bending mahogany have been rippling in the waist (too much water) and compression in the waist (not hot enough/applying pressure too soon). I pretty much follow John's method, and even for very tight waists I haven't had problems. I bend my sides a little thicker than you do for guitars--maybe .08 to .085, but thinner on ukes. Are they cracking in the waist?

Dave

Yes, cracking in the waist and upper bout. I know they are budget grade from ExoticWZ. Didn't want to start with expensive stuff. Want to bend one tonight I think I will go the water soak route just because one worked for me, maybe let it "cook" a bit longer. Starting bend at 240 lightly, getting more serious at 280, finishing out at 300. My last unsuccessful bend cracked at waist and upper bout but also sprang back quite a bit making me think the wood was not hot enough.

These users thanked the author wade lucas for the post: Pmaj7 (Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:18 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Are the sides quarter sawn? That would help a lot if they aren’t.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:50 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Jim Watts wrote:
Are the sides quarter sawn? That would help a lot if they aren’t.

Off Quarter. Just ran one thru the planer and sander, cupped a bit, one of my other pieces did that and didn't fair so well in the bender.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:31 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I assume you are using moistened brown wrapping paper on the sides and starting your bend by taking the waist about 50% and then the lower and upper bout and after that completing the waist.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:52 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Wood is a composite material made of a tough fiber, cellulose, and a matrix, lignin, which fixes those fibers in place. Much like thermoplastic resin and fiber composites, the lignin keeps the cellulose fibers from either crowding together and moving away from the areas where those fibers are loaded in tension (pulled from the ends), and from spreading apart and buckling when under compression (pushed from the ends).

Heat and moisture come in to play when we wish to reconfigure our cellulose and wood-based composite material. Heat softens the lignin while moisture allows the cellulose fibers to stretch and compress a bit more readily so as to adjust relative to each other, allowing bending to occur along the lengths of the fibers. As the wood cools and dries, the lignin fixes those cellulose fibers in their new configuration. If the correct amount of both moisture or heat is not available and on the schedule necessary to avoid too much moisture and not enough heat or vice versa, the wood may fracture prior to being bent or fail to maintain the new bend once allowed to cool.

Our challenge as luthiers is to provide a quick burst of heat to vaporize the available moisture, thus plasticizing the wood, then quickly making the bend before the heat rises too high or the available moisture runs out. This balance between heat and moisture is wood dependent, with many rosewoods needing just a bit of heat and a spritz of water to bend (with more water working to remove excess surface resins), and some woods such as curly ash demanding a near-perfect mix of heat and moisture to achieve a ripple-free, stable bend in tight waists and cutaways. Too little water with adequate heat results in the bending package drying out too quickly and the timber failing to hold the bend. Too much water can saturate cellulose fibers, adding excess rigidity as the cells fill with liquid water, resulting in failure as those fibers rupture under compression. In summary, what we need in side-bending is enough water available to vaporize at a controlled rate, and the correct heating profile to accomplish that task.

One thing to consider is doing a better job of allowing the cellulose to avoid rupture in either tension or compression is to use something like a veneer softener to soften the cell walls a bit. While ammonia and water will accomplish this, something like Supersoft II will better soften the wood fibers while preventing cellular collapse and fracture in tight bends or on figured woods.

Rather than type up the procedure here, I will quote from an earlier post:

Quote:
The failure to properly retain the bent shape and scorching both indicate that any moisture in the bending stack was cooked off well before you accomplished the bend. This was likely due to your over-long cooking of the side prior to bending. Mahogany - particularly figured mahogany - hates excess water, but really needs a strong blast of steam to bend properly (minimal cross-grain ripple and retention) of mold shape after bending.

Other issues:

- A light spritz of the side is a hit-or miss method to calibrate the amount of water available. Using wetted kraft or butcher paper allows surprisingly accurate calibration (brown kraft gives a matte appearance at minimum water for figured maple, a silky/satin appearance at the correct amount of water for figured mahogany, figured anigre, and figured ash, and a glossy appearance for rosewoods where the dang, steam-saturated paper does a nice job of capturing heat-mobile resins from the wood.

- The only reason to use foil in the stack is to isolate spring steel slats from the water in the kraft paper or on the wood. It may be safely left out of the stack when bending with stainless steel slats on all but rosewoods, where the foil barrier seems to eliminate resins from collecting on the slats.

- Envelopes around the wood may produce a number of problems, to include puckering and printing, re-condensing of water vapor and relaxation of the bend, and watermarking. Separate sheets of kraft paper and foil work as well, and avoid these issues. Ideally, all free water in the stack is exhausted by the time the post-bend cook is accomplished, and - indeed - that is the reason for the practice.

- Figure mahogany and other figured woods may need some help with uniform plasticizing of wood fibers. SuperSoft 2 works well here if used according to instructions (apply generously to all sides of ready-to-bend side, allow to fully dry, then bend within 24-36 hours of application). Ammonia works as well, but in the experience of the build/repair shop where I worked, was less effective for highly figured, difficult-to bend woods like curly anigre, plum pudding/fiddleback mahogany, and highly figured fiddleback ash). A gallon is effectively a few year's supply for a prolific small shop builder, and is far cheaper than the cost of one replacement side for a premium set of back and side wood.

- Rosewoods are like honeybadgers; they just don't care. Even without water, most rosewoods are happy to bend with heat only, but will likely scorch a bit and still require some serious resin cleanup.

- Acacias such as Tasmanian blackwood, bay laurel, and koa hate aluminum, picking up a blue undertone where waterborne aluminum ions react with the wood. This is the one time we replaced aluminum foil in the bend stack with non-silicone parchment paper.

- Brown kraft paper works well for everything except holly or the whitest of white timbers. White kraft is a decent substitute, but needs to be wetted out well to hold the same amount of water as brown kraft.

This gets us to method for figured mahogany and other hard benders:

1. SuperSoft 2 the sides and allow to fully dry before bending; add blue tape tabs to index the waist if using a Fox-style bender

2. Build the sandwich with (from top to bottom): slat/blanket/slat/foil sheet/wet craft paper sheet/dry wood/wet kraft paper sheet/foil sheet/slat. DO NOT PRE-WET THE WOOD - the kraft paper is your water reservoir for the bend.

3. Load the stack in the bender without delay, using spring clamps to maintain contact between all elements (this means at least one pair of clamps on the upper bout and two pair on the lower after the bending cauls are mounted)

4. Set the temp for maximum (fastest rise) and turn it on. If using a router speed controller, this is the full-on position on the rocker switch.

5. Watch for the first signs of steam generation in the area near what will be the widest part of the upper and lower bouts. Once those early tendrils of steam are seen, START BENDING...DO NOT DELAY! Bring the waist down to 1/4" to 3/8" off the mold, then lower bout, then upper bout/cutaway area.

6. Upon completion of the bend (this should take no more than 4-5 minutes total even with a cutaway ram), watch for exhaustion of water in the stack (no more steam… yet another good reason to eschew envelopes), then turn the temperature control down such that max temperature in the stack does not exceed ~300 for mahogany and closer to 260-280 for rosewoods. Really, you can leave the router control set to something like the 2/3’s mark just short of the yellow and run that for 30 minutes if you do not have a thermocouple to monitor temp.

7. Turn off and unplug the blanket, then give the stack 12 hours to cool and dump any residual moisture trapped in the waist area.

There are several YouTube videos on bending... look for the one on bending figured mahogany by my old boss for what is a lengthy, but somewhat useful exposition.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 4): Duct Tape (Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am) • Robbie_McD (Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:48 am) • modkev (Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:11 am) • Kbore (Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:09 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
from the time I turn on the machine till the sides are bent , it should be about 4 minutes. If you wait too long as woody points out you dry out the wood and crack city

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post: Kbore (Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:10 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:19 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Ken Cierpolowski advocated bending the waist on a pipe before putting the bending sandwich in the Fox bender. I've done that for a half-dozen projects with no cracking at the waist. Am I getting the protection that lucky accidents offer or doing something right?

Thanks!

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post (total 2): doncaparker (Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:56 pm) • CraigG (Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:28 am)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
phavriluk wrote:
Ken Cierpolowski advocated bending the waist on a pipe before putting the bending sandwich in the Fox bender. I've done that for a half-dozen projects with no cracking at the waist. Am I getting the protection that lucky accidents offer or doing something right?

Thanks!

Hand bending over a pipe, with the help of a bending strap, can be pretty useful, particularly as to the things that seem to be dogging the OP here. Of course, hand bending also requires some skill and some comfort with eyeballing curves, and it is a lot easier when you use a better-than-average bending pipe, so there is no free lunch either way.

It does surprise me a bit that, when bending comes up, everybody assumes that we are all using a Fox bender with electric blankets. I own some Fox benders, but I prefer hand bending. To each their own.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:55 am 
Koa
Koa

doncaparker wrote:
It does surprise me a bit that, when bending comes up, everybody assumes that we are all using a Fox bender with electric blankets. I own some Fox benders, but I prefer hand bending. To each their own.

I am certainly guilty here of narrowing the discussion to silicone-blanket benders, as I read the OP's post as pertaining to Mr. Hall's Fox-style Blues Creek machine. To broaden the discussion a bit, I enjoy using a pipe, with the one at Greenridge - a heavy, milled-from-billet affair fired with propane and whipped up on Mr. Verhoeven's CNC mill by our now Texas Republic-based colleague - being much more comfortable than my commercial Sloane-derived version which seems to have gone through another heating element... drat. I have to wonder whether this is just a poorly insulated Chinese-made element or some fault in my stars. Perhaps it is time to replace it with a new tool, as this is one which the boys salvaged out of a Baltimore-based classical guitar builder's shop which that luthier's family was closing up after his retirement.

I'm not sure a builder can get by for long without a way to touch up at least bindings, if not sides and other items such as headstock backstraps, so I will have to search through posts to find that elusive mention of a better solution for the Sloane. Nothing is quite so nice as the scent of double-fudge brownies baking that is the signature smell of BRW bent on a pipe. And selfishly, I wish there was a preheat mode which brought the pipe up to temperature in something less than the near-hour or so it takes with the current element. Nice reason to justify a stroll along the river, but my opportunities for any instrument-related activities are so constrained these days that I begrudge the forced repurposing of that time spent waiting.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Here is a link to my favorite bending iron:

https://luthiers-bench.com/

It heats up faster, and keeps its heat steadier, than the ones we are all more familiar with.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Woodie G (Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:36 am)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
doncaparker wrote:
Here is a link to my favorite bending iron:

https://luthiers-bench.com/

It heats up faster, and keeps its heat steadier, than the ones we are all more familiar with.

I use one of these too, mine is bronze primarily because I just wanted bronze. I like the Luthier Bench version much better than the Ibex I used to use. Still takes about 10 minutes to heat up but hand bending takes longer anyway, I don’t mind. I very much prefer hand bending.

I did a tutorial here about upgrading the Ibex iron with a higher wattage element which makes it come up to temperature faster and get to a higher temperature, if desired.

Don, I also have two Fox benders, heating blankets, etc. haven’t used either one for over 10 years- ha!

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: doncaparker (Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:19 am)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Same here, Steve; other than a demo I did for my local woodworking club a few years ago, I haven’t used my Fox benders in about a decade. Since this is a hobby for me, I am stubborn about sticking with the building methods that I really enjoy, and I really enjoy hand bending. You get to adjust the heat, water, time on the pipe, amount of pressure applied, etc., all in real time to just the section you are trying to bend in that moment. I like it a lot.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: SteveSmith (Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:28 am)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

One thing about the Luthiers Bench bending iron that folks should know if they are thinking about buying one: On their website, the temperature ranges are all buggered (see how I used British slang there?). Contrary to their ad copy, these irons can go up to 300 degrees Celsius, which is 572 degrees Fahrenheit. I like to set it at 200 degrees Celsius, which is close to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, then adjust from there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:22 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I found when bending ribs for the mahogany viola it is very easy to burn them! It can get pretty hot. Not deep enough to matter, but I turned it down.

It would be nice if it had a temp scale. I have no clue what temperature I have on it.

Oh. I sure am observant. I went to see what it is set at in the basement, and it does have a temperature scale! In Celsius. Who knows Celsius? Oh. The Canadians and Brits. Well. I guess only 11 countries in the entire world use Fahrenheit! Mostly the USA, and its island possessions, and former possessions.

I have it at 200 now. It was probably at 250 before. I still don't like C. It needs an F dial.

I do like working almost exclusively in mm though. THAT makes far more sense. No dumb fractions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
I use a handheld IR temp sensor with mine and, like Don, I run it at about 400F. It's a little harder to get a good temp reading off of metal because of the reflections but it's workable. A direct reading temp sensor would be better and I've been meaning to get one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:54 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
I use a lamp dimmer controlled charcoal lighter pressed inside a 2/3/8” aluminum pipe. Using the IR temp sensor, I can see that the temperature drops when I touch it with the spritzed side but quickly recovers. I noticed this when trying to calibrate my dimmer knob to temperature. The temperature changed all the time while I was working. But, calibrating to how it works rather than temperature has given me a very useful tool. I just burned out my first charcoal lighter after about 15 years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I follow the method Woody posted and I've never broken or cracked a side. I'm bending .06" sides now, but the same held true when I was bending .08".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:12 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
We should thank Woodie for her comprehensive description of the process.

Not so sure about the Honey Badger. I met one once in captivity Southern Africa and it seemed to be very cross indeed!

Dave

These users thanked the author Dave m2 for the post: Woodie G (Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:37 am)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
FWIW,
Personally I bend slightly differently, using a Fox type bender and a controller/thermocouple with a 1200 watt blanket, and 800 watts of light bulbs underneath in the fox bender to pre-heat initially (to around 170 F at the waist) before switching the blanket on.
I use pretty much the same sequence/temperatures for all woods, only varying the amount of water as required.
Waist is initially bent enough to hold the sandwich, with the spring clamps.
At step 4 in Woodie's post, I set my controller for 250F initially rather than letting the temperature climb unchecked to minimize water vapor escaping..
Start increasing the waist bend (easy) when steam becomes apparent.
After waist is about 80/90% down, lower bout bent, upper bout then bent (~2 minutes), reset controller to 320f, finish waist bend, while letting the temp climb to that 320F (I believe lignin will scorch above 300f but I've had no problems as it's only very brief). Switch off and let temperature drop to 270 - Reset controller to that temp. leave ~15 minutes to steam off.
Cool off, heat to 300 briefly, let drop to 250, leave at 250 for 10 minutes.
Repeat that cycle twice, cool overnight/12 hours minimum.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Woodie G (Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:38 am)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:34 am 
Koa
Koa

Just a comment on the OP's title for the thread: perhaps instead of contradicting or inconsistent methods, the different approaches to side bending discussed are just that - different in the details, but having a common outcome. My suggestion to the OP would be pick an approach and follow it until such time that adjustments become self-evident, which is to say avoid the temptation to skitter off in a new direction before understanding the pros and cons of a given method. A further observation based on having watched a number of build students bend sides in the shop for four years is that bad outcomes from proven methods and equipment are about half error in execution (e.g., step done out of order; incorrect setting; poor preparation), and half a failure in understanding of the why of a method (e.g., the quick heat rise in a minimum-water method makes bending at the first signs of steam generation a practical necessity... if delayed, the method fails).

This generates a 'dos and don't' list:

- Understand your chosen method and adhere to it
- Don't substitute equipment without understanding the impact(s) of that substitution (e.g., a 2.5 watt/square inch blanket looks just like a 5 watt model, but will heat too slowly to work for the method I described above)
- When looking for a method, try to find one with very explicit instructions (both text and video are helpful) and enough feedback from the community to suggest that it is reliably successful if followed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
From reading this thread, I'm glad to hear some of have shelved those Fox benders, preferring the pipe method. One less thing to distract me from building guitars and I can't wait to started again. 2 guitars to finish up, semi retired and looking forward to bending some more sides. One of the really fun aspects of building for me.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

These users thanked the author banjopicks for the post: doncaparker (Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:15 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:19 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
bending machines are processed based. I can tell you that not all benders are the same. The blanket wattage is very important. I get a lot of calls and often find people waiting for the heat to get to 300f to bend.
As Woody points out use the process until you are familar with it and understand how the woods interact with moisture and heat. The biggest hing I can give anyone is to put weights on the slats and when they fall off your ready to bend.
Doing the waist first is often the worst thing you can do as the back pressure of the woods and slats then spring and the blanker looses its contact with the wood. Doing lower bout upper than waist helps to keep the heat in contact with the wood.
There is a learning curve but it isn't difficult and besides, you can keep your coffee hot
stay well

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it