Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
guitarmaker78 wrote:
Hesh wrote:
guitarmaker78 wrote:
I found a missing nut today that helps hold the adjustment. I realigned then I also changed the paper from 120 grit to 60 grit. I thought I had 220, but at some point I changed it to 120.

Now I’m getting much more consistent thicknessing.

Cool may I suggest 80 grit is about the deepest scratches you want from a thickness sander on the woods we traditionally use. Don't want to have us fighting here over ROS any more than we have to. :D

I have a batch of low quality spruce I bought for testing and Last night, I ran a piece through the sander. You aren’t kidding. It won’t work. I’m going to have to take it back up to a higher grit.

It's been a while since I was building but I think I was 80 grit for hard woods and 120 for softer woods and that worked pretty OK with a Performax 10 - 20.

Someone back then ordered some 36 grit and could not use it, obviously so they sent it to me. I played with it and it was like a garbage disposal for wood. Put the wood in one side and nothing was left to come out the other side. :) An exaggeration of course but 36 grit was way too abrasive for our purposes.

Regarding deep scratches a huge part of building for me was learning where doing something at one end was going to create much more effort at the other end and thickness sander scratches are that kind of thing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:53 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Gregor
Last Name: Crothers
State: Ontario
Focus: Build
(My minimal experience)
I would just like to reiterate, the 60 grit that was recommended to me was for hardwood. This did work. Small pass increments. Yes, more scratches to sand out.

One thing i also did when i first got my 16-32 was remove belt, place a straight edge on bed, drop drum down to straight edge while shining a light from behind.
I biased the open end with feeler gauge and then tightened everything up. It made sense to me and it worked.....but maybe i just got lucky. : )

These users thanked the author gregorio for the post (total 2): Hesh (Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:35 pm) • Michaeldc (Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:57 am)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:11 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Thomas
Last Name: T
Focus: Build
gregorio wrote:
(My minimal experience)
I would just like to reiterate, the 60 grit that was recommended to me was for hardwood. This did work. Small pass increments. Yes, more scratches to sand out.

One thing i also did when i first got my 16-32 was remove belt, place a straight edge on bed, drop drum down to straight edge while shining a light from behind.
I biased the open end with feeler gauge and then tightened everything up. It made sense to me and it worked.....but maybe i just got lucky. : )

I took the sandpaper off and loosened the adjustments on the table and slowly moved it until a board pushed into the drum, entered the exact same distance on each end and the middle. I made marks on the table with a marker to measure. The drum was positioned at a height that was just barely too low for the board to clear. I was essentially using the board as a feeler gauge. I got the exact same measurements in all three places, so I know my table is flat.