Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Maple finger board
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:56 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Lawrence
State: Kansas
Zip/Postal Code: 66047
I'm using a maple finger boarder the first time and it seems to me that it should have some kind of finish on it.
Is that correct and if so what do y'all recommend?

Post subject: Re: Maple finger board
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
They will get dirty pronto without some kind of finish. If you'd like to do a thin finish, TruOil will build pretty fast. You could also try shellac, or lacquer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:26 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
What Chris said. So you have lots of choices.

Fender likes to fret the thing and then make it unserviceable by spraying finish over the frets....

Rick Turner RIP recommended and would use Waterlox so we tried it on refretted fender maple necks and we and our clients like it too. Waterlox is very easy to apply as well being a wipe on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:51 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
Curious about this as I have one coming up as well.

If you finish before fretting, how do you keep it out of the fret slots? If you finish after fretting, how do you get it off the frets?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It's easy enough to take one of those fret slot cleaning tools and just run it through each slot to clear out any finish imho. Fretting after finish does require more care because it's easy to mar the finish. Each has it's own I think. I just don't like gumming up the frets with finish.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:19 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
If you keep the finish thin with only a few coats of lacquer there will not be enough build up in the fret slots to cause any problems. On a recent maple fretboard, I applied the finish and then before fretting, I hit the slots with a triangle file so that the insertion of the frets would not place any stress on the lacquer which might lead to cracks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:46 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
We did a number of maple board refrets with fretboard refinish, as well as unfinished necks that needed finishing. We prepped the board and then shot two very thin coats of shellac, fretted (generally with stainless wet-set in med CA or nickel silver in hot hide), beveled the fret ends, wiped on a bit of shellac to seal any raw wood that popped up, final prepped the board, then shot toner and topcoats in lacquer. Once set, we ran through a normal level/crown/polish. No issues with playability if that last step is done.

I have seen new guitars from assemblers of Fender-style guitar parts come in with lacquer still covering the fret crowns... so we billed the customer for removal. Keep a bottle of acetone and some towels handy to clean the dead lacquer off the fret file unless the lacquer is so well cured that it pops off the fret.

Finally, one of the apprentices here built a guitar with highly figured birdseye maple fretboard, redwood top, and curly ash sides and back. I heard about this guitar, and thought that with those materials, it should not have worked, but upon seeing it changed my mind. A lovely thing. Stainless frets on a lacquered board, and very comfortable to play for fingerstyle/fingerstyle blues work.

Attachment:
IMG_3367.jpeg

Watco is a thinned medium-oil varnish; you can take just about any tung or phenolic-based varnish and make it a wiping varnish by thinning with a compatible thinner/reducer. The primary advantage to Watco or other wiping varnish for the job is that it does not build all that fast, so it is easier to fret after finishing the board. Another advantage is a slow build in gloss as well, so for a satin neck on plain-figured stock, just stop applying at the desired level of gloss. If you want a finish that may be buffed to a higher gloss, build the 10-20 coats, wait a few weeks for a full cure of the varnish, and sand/buff.

Overall, it is much faster to shoot a lacquer finish over the fretted board than build a full-thickness finish with a wiping varnish, but for a minimally finished neck, Watco or similar is pretty fast and easy to do.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Durero (Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:39 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
meddlingfool wrote:
Curious about this as I have one coming up as well.

If you finish before fretting, how do you keep it out of the fret slots? If you finish after fretting, how do you get it off the frets?

I've refretted Fender maple necks and have done all the fretting, leveling and crowning, then resprayed the finish over the board and frets. Last step is to scrape the crowns with a box cutter blade.