Walnut
Walnut

First name: William
Last Name: Bolan
City: Dawson Springs
State: Kentucky
Zip/Postal Code: 42408
Focus: Build
I remember Hesh talking about the cans spitting when they are running out.I had them spitting right from the start. I was using the supposedly better tips , but the first 4 I tried spit right away. So I was able to fix all these by just lightly wiping right away and spraying over it immediately. So I got the sides and back done beautifully. But On the last coat of Amber on the front and of course on the very last pass about a dozen nasty darker brown spits that I really didn’t see until it was too late to wipe them off. I decided to lightly sand them and spray another coat using a bigger tip that came with one of the other cans. No spitting so I know the can wasn’t that close to being empty, but every spot I had sanded came out much lighter. So I sanded the top back down to the vinyl sealer as best I could. So one question is , what is the best thing too do to fix these spits for future reference.And another question is ,how many coats can I spray with 1 can. It seems 3 seemed safe to me .The funny thing is the whole thing could have been avoided seeing as I have my own Hvlp spray setup and have sprayed around 20 instruments and never ever have had any spitting. I was concerned with mixing the colors properly and figured the rattle cans would have the proper colors . I’ve always sprayed clear lacquer never any colored lacquer so I was apprehensive. Live and learn. Sorry this is so long ,but there are actually a couple of questions in here and any help is appreciated.

These users thanked the author SkinnyJim for the post: Hesh (Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:17 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Glenn
Last Name: LaSalle
City: Saint Petersburg
State: Florida
I have found putting the cans in warm water prior to spraying helps. I also find with rattle cans, you need more thinner coats than typical. There are a couple videos from driftwood guitars that does a guitar with stew Mac rattle cans (pretty sure sponsored by stew Mac), that may be very helpful for future.

Glenn

These users thanked the author Glenn LaSalle for the post (total 2): bftobin (Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:09 pm) • Hesh (Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:17 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:15 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Yes I warmed up the cans and I’ve watched those videos 3 times. They were using red nozzles ,the ones they sell now are white. I’m thinking this is the culprit. Thanks for the reply. I’m concerned going forward that the same thing will happen.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:22 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Sorry that happened to you Jim those cans can be rather.... rude spitting and all. Back in the day when I was starting to build and used the SM rattle cans what I do recall was not using that last 1/3 of the can because of the spitting. Don't know about the product/these days.

I remember someone once posting here that SM rattle can nitro has about twice the solids which is likely part of the problem as it wants to stick to itself. If that is part of the problem there may not be a decent answer to the spitting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:02 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

That’s not real encouraging. So what’s the best way to proceed once the spitting has occurred. Sanding the whole front side of the guitar back to sealer wasn’t fun. Is there a better way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
If you're able to use your sprayer. Mix transtint color in alcohol and mist it on with several light coats. If it's OK, then cover with clear lacquer. If not, wipe it off with alcohol and try again. This worked for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:15 pm 
Koa
Koa

if your issue is the outlay for a compressor and gun, then might I suggest using a Preval sprayer? I've used them a few times for one of samples and seen professional painters use them for touch ups when it wasn't worth the effort to set up their rigs. they give a really good finish and I've never had them sputter. https://preval.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:30 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Hey Skin I think I sliced the drop off with a single edge razor blade with the corners safed and then wet sanded it level with wet/dry paper. Continued my coats after that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:39 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks folks some good suggestions

These users thanked the author SkinnyJim for the post: Hesh (Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:01 am)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:10 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I like using the SM cans for quick touch ups and I have found that they seem to be spity-er now then they used to be. And like you said, right off the bat now too and not just the end of the can. I have no solution to offer but will say that if you are finishing an entire guitar mixing colors is not that hard. The SM cans are indeed good for color but their colortone tints are quite good too.