Post subject: New Humidifier Solution
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:07 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Dave spent a lot of time researching humidifiers for our new shop and he selected one from TAC a California company.

This is about a $2,000 unit that also contains a state of the art reverse osmosis system and filters.

In the past the problem with ultrasonic humidifiers is the white dust from mineral deposits in the water. Where I live our hardness is over 400 ppm making ultra sonic like a snowfall on Christmas Eve....

But this system we have been using for a little over a month now and we are quite happy with it.

It's not a consumer product in the sense that you unbox, fill with water and let her rip. You have to install it, plumb it and in our case the GFCI that was part of the power cord was too sensitive and tripped for unknown reasons twice. So at the advice of the maker we tossed it and all is well.

So our new shop in the woods of Michigan just three miles outside of the People's Republic of Ann Arbor is heated and cooled by a Mitsubishi heat pump and we can now bask in 45%+ RH all winter long.

Some more details. It's very quiet, no more schlepping water, the RO filters should last an entire season and are not very expensive to replace. It's behind where I work and does not bother me at all.

Now here's the bottom line from me. When asked for advice on learning to build guitars I often tell people to find and install a humidity solution for your shop as job one. Nothing... is more important in my view or you are building time bombs that will fall apart with the change of the seasons. All things have costs and guitar building is certainly no different. It does not have to be this unit but before you worry about what bandsaw seal up that shop and do what you have to do in your climate to be able to achieve and maintain reliably an RH of around 42 - 48%. There are regions where the numbers can be different but it's a must to get this solved for where you are.

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Kbore (Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:43 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:44 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice small unit. How's the accuracy compared to your calibration?

I'll be schlepping waters for the foreseeable future but someday I might get water plumbed to the shop.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:29 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:53 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
Focus: Build
It was funny how my cough diminished after I traded the ultrasonic for a steam humidifier. The ultrasonic also gave a pretty high particle count as measured by my particle meter.

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post (total 2): Kbore (Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:44 pm) • Hesh (Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:31 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:31 pm 

jfmckenna wrote:
Nice small unit. How's the accuracy compared to your calibration?

I'll be schlepping waters for the foreseeable future but someday I might get water plumbed to the shop.

I think it's excellent we have a synthetic hair hygrometer that we calibrate annually and that read 48% when the unit read as pictured.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Kbore (Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:44 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:36 pm 

bobgramann wrote:
It was funny how my cough diminished after I traded the ultrasonic for a steam humidifier. The ultrasonic also gave a pretty high particle count as measured by my particle meter.

I had similar prior experiences with ultrasonic and was always very disappointed with them too. This is a misting system so I may be wrong about it being ultrasonic. It has an ozone generator too to kill bacteria that's pretty high tech.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:45 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: Borum
State: MO
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
Focus: Build
Thanks for a timely post on humidifiers!

Karl Borum

These users thanked the author Kbore for the post: Hesh (Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:19 am)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Farmer
City: Durango
State: CO
"Now here's the bottom line from me. When asked for advice on learning to build guitars I often tell people to find and install a humidity solution for your shop as job one. Nothing... is more important in my view or you are building time bombs that will fall apart with the change of the seasons. All things have costs and guitar building is certainly no different. It does not have to be this unit but before you worry about what bandsaw seal up that shop and do what you have to do in your climate to be able to achieve and maintain reliably an RH of around 42 - 48%. There are regions where the numbers can be different but it's a must to get this solved for where you are."

+1 and Amen.

Preach it brother.

X2 for repair!
I'm hired as an"expert".
That means knowing how much water is in a customers guitar.
REGARDLESS of what they say!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author david farmer for the post: Hesh (Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:53 pm)