Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Focus: Build
Hey folks,

It’s been a while since this has been asked and previous posts didn’t hold a lot of inspiration. :)

Anyone care to share how you store binding & purfling strips?

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Postal tubes.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: bcombs510 (Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:17 am)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Colin North wrote:
Postal tubes.

Me too for the ones that are around 36”. Longer 50+” ones are rolled up in a flat box.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: bcombs510 (Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:17 am)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:08 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
I’ve got a roll-away tool box with a 36x18x4” drawer that I have partitioned off. It’s loaded with brace stock, purflings etc. It works…

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Michaeldc on Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post (total 2): Kbore (Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:15 am) • bcombs510 (Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:17 am)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:19 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Colin North wrote:
Postal tubes.

This is what I use now. I have them shoved in a corner standing upright. Maybe it’s the best I can do. :) I don’t have the ceiling height to put them overhead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
There’s what I do to get by for now, and there’s what I aspire to do in the future . . .

For now, they are in several different tubes, some of which are transparent (baseball bat presentation tubes), others of which are just plumbing plastic pipe with an end cap on one end, and others are still taped to the backing board they were shipped with and are just leaning against something. I am due for a big re-org.

I would like to set up a vertical caddy of plumbing plastic pipes that will hold bindings and purfling strips that are still straight. I would maybe mount it somewhere on the wall, low enough where I can pull a piece out vertically and not bump against the ceiling. Or maybe this would warrant its own little stand-alone cart with casters. I’m short on wall space, but I always have room for a cart that I can roll into the storage area until needed. Sort of like a gift wrapping cart. Compact and handy, and out of the way most of the time.

A limitation on the usefulness of better storage is that I do a lot of work with colored veneers that I laminate to make multi-line edge purflings, a la John Bogdanovich. They are laminated into the shape of the sides. So, they won’t store in such a vertical tube caddy. But the caddy would be great for binding strips and other purfling bits that are still straight. And if I build a cart, I can design part of it to hold bent laminations.

We’ll see what develops when I tear this place apart at some point!

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 2): Kbore (Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:11 pm) • bcombs510 (Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:56 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:31 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
I have a bunch of postal tubes stacked untidily in a corner with both linings and purflings along with guitar plans.

It's one of those things - how much time do we want to spend on sorting out the workshop as opposed to actually making guitars. Hard to find the right balance since inefficient layout/storage can slow you right down.

Dave

These users thanked the author Dave m2 for the post: bcombs510 (Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:56 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

If 'postal tubes' are heavy cardboard tubes then that is what I use too.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: bcombs510 (Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:56 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:59 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Dave m2 wrote:
It's one of those things - how much time do we want to spend on sorting out the workshop as opposed to actually making guitars. Hard to find the right balance since inefficient layout/storage can slow you right down.

I hear you there! I’m nearing the end of a fairly significant shop reconfiguration. I can see the light…. It’s a train… no wait…

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Kbore (Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:48 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Couple of big hooks screwed into the wall up out of the way.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:09 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: Borum
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
So, currently, my strip goods are in short cardboard shippers, flopping all over the place, a very unsatisfying method.

I've "decided" to use clear, thin wall PET 1 1/2" tubes (and caps) from ULine.
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-21974/Clear-Tubes/Clear-Plastic-Tubes-1-1-2-x-48
I have them in my shopping cart but haven't pulled the trigger, they are $126 plus $40 shipping (oversize by length).
    25 each, 48" tubes, and 50 red caps: $116
    Shipping $34.64
    Total $164
My luthier buddy is going to split the order but that's still $82 and I'm so tapped out from tooling and fixturing.

I still need a cart (rolling tool chest) for my spindle sander, moxon vise hardware and jaws and a neck routing fixture. That should set me up so I can spring for the PET tubes and caps.

This hobby costs more than maintaining my Harley Bagger and gear, lots more. [uncle]

Karl Borum

These users thanked the author Kbore for the post: bcombs510 (Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:44 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Kbore wrote:
I still need a cart (rolling tool chest) for my spindle sander, moxon vise hardware and jaws and a neck routing fixture.

The US General line of carts at Harbor Freight is actually pretty good, and not expensive. I have several of them.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 2): Kbore (Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:28 pm) • bcombs510 (Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:16 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

1.5” PVC pipe with an end cap for me. The pipes are about 6” shorter than the stock to help see what’s what. I think the bright white of the PVC also helps identify everything easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post (total 2): Kbore (Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:29 pm) • bcombs510 (Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:16 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:01 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brian
City: U.P.
State: Michigan
I've saved mailing tubes of all sizes and use them but don't really like them, being round and opaque they waste space and are dark.

This thread got me to looking and thinking there must be some square tubes for packaging other products making them cheaper.

These came up in a search and would work and the price/pc is right but min order too high. I'm going to keep looking for something along these lines though. Might have to find someone to split an order with to get price breaks.

https://store.visipak.com/1-1-4-x-4-medium-wall-square-clear-plastic-tube/

The right tube and order size must be there somewhere.

Round but these might work, just ran the shipping and they would be $4 each inc shipping - https://www.iconplastics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=BASK

These users thanked the author rbuddy for the post (total 3): Kbore (Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:34 pm) • bcombs510 (Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:24 am) • J De Rocher (Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:20 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:01 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Heath
Last Name: Blair
City: Visalia
State: California
James Orr wrote:
1.5” PVC pipe with an end cap for me. The pipes are about 6” shorter than the stock to help see what’s what. I think the bright white of the PVC also helps identify everything easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I use, as well.

The PVC seems to work fine, and while I like the ability to easily see what’s inside with the purfling/binding sticking out 6” or so, a few years back I dropped something or was careless in some way and knocked that 6” off the top of some really nice purfling I had made and some binding I had bought. Can’t remember exactly what I did, but it made me wish the pipe covered the full length of the strips.

These users thanked the author Heath Blair for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:24 am)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:23 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
I use Pvc pipe cheap strong and cut to length. You can store it standing lying or any other way

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:24 am)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tom
Last Name: Armstrong
City: Portsmouth
State: Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 23701
Whatever round tubes that I accumulate that fit the bill.

These users thanked the author Gasawdust for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:24 am)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:10 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: Orr
white upvc plumbing waste pipes screwed to the roof timbers in my shop. Keeps them nice and flat and out of the way.

These users thanked the author Bob Orr for the post (total 2): Kbore (Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:36 pm) • bcombs510 (Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:23 am)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Another user here of mailing tubes for purfling. I'm going to get a few of those clear tubes that rbuddy posted a link for though.

My high tech solution for storing my binding is a shipping box that's 36" long that an LMI order came in about 12 years ago. My island bench is also 36" long so it's a perfect fit on one of the shelves under the bench.

Attachment:
Binding storage.jpg

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 2): Kbore (Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:36 pm) • bcombs510 (Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:23 am)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: Russell
State: Michigan USA
Focus: Repair
J De Rocher wrote:
Another user here of mailing tubes for purfling. I'm going to get a few of those clear tubes that rbuddy posted a link for though.

My high tech solution for storing my binding is a shipping box that's 36" long that an LMI order came in about 12 years ago. My island bench is also 36" long so it's a perfect fit on one of the shelves under the bench.

Attachment:
Binding storage.jpg

I am currently using cardboard mailing tubes leaned against the wall in my store room. But this has been difficult lately keeping things easy to get to. Usually I pull the tubes out and then pull all the perfling and binding out of the tube to find what I need. Not a good solution.

Actually your box under the bench is not a bad way to go... It seems as though most of your material is easy to see, easy to pull out and is out of the way.

My main bench has the perfect place under the bottom shelf. I could easily build a wooden box with dividers that would slide under the bottom shelf. I am pretty sure this would solve my problem pretty well and be easy to get to.

So thanks for the idea Jay,

Cheers,
Bob

These users thanked the author RusRob for the post (total 2): bcombs510 (Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:52 pm) • J De Rocher (Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:33 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:40 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Karl
Last Name: Borum
Zip/Postal Code: 63303
rbuddy wrote:

Round but these might work, just ran the shipping and they would be $4 each inc shipping - https://www.iconplastics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=BASK

The Icon Plastics have a minimum order of 50
I am going to use clear tubes come hell or highwater.
I've done a lot of searching but I agree, something is out there.
If you find something (clear), PM me?

Karl Borum

These users thanked the author Kbore for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:36 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:53 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brian
City: U.P.
State: Michigan
OK, going with these -- https://store.cleartecpackaging.com/clear_en/pst.html?Item=PST01021

I was hoping to find 2x2" tubes and did with these.

Shipping price jumps very little from 8 pcs to 16 but going from 16 to 24 shipping goes up by almost double, adding caps costs more to ship the caps than the caps cost. If I want caps, I'll find them elsewhere or make wood plugs.

So 16 tubes w/o caps is the sweet spot for ordering. So it comes to about $140 for 16 - 2x2x48 clear plastic tubes, shipping inc.

I'll probably cut most of mine to 32" leaving 16" pieces for other storage. Some I will leave at 48" for carbon fiber that comes that length.

It should cut my current storage space by at least 60%, be much neater, and easier to use.

I'll tell you whether it was the right move in a couple weeks.

Just placed the order.

Thanks for getting me off my butt Brad to clean up one corner of my shop. You're an inspiration in that regard ya know!

edit -- Trying these caps - https://www.amazon.com/Square-Plastic-Tubing-Insert-Finishing/dp/B0923641KZ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=2+inch+by+2+inch+plastic+caps&link_code=qs&qid=1700783864&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-1

I'm happy already!

Brian

These users thanked the author rbuddy for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:52 pm) • bcombs510 (Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:36 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:45 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

PVC pipe for me. Copied Hans Brentrup.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks for all the replies on this. Here is where I landed.

1.5” PVC, I used test caps to plug the ends but they fit loosely so had to add a few layers of tape. :)

Brad

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 8): Michaeldc (Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:18 am) • rbuddy (Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:22 pm) • Kbore (Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:39 pm) • Craig Wilson (Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:39 am) • doncaparker (Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:04 pm) • SteveSmith (Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:54 pm) • J De Rocher (Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:36 pm) • Pmaj7 (Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:57 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
I like that.

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post: bcombs510 (Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:50 pm)