All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Gibson wraparound bridge
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Focus: Build
Does anyone know what the offset is for these? I understand from 53 to 61 it was a little too extreme and then afterwards they had less of an offset. (I also know that they have a straight version that has a more traditional looking compensation on the top which I think is called the lightning bolt)

Also, has anyone ever made a compensated tailpiece out of a regular one just by filing some ridges that look like one of these from Bridge City? I cannot find an inexpensive one of this design.
"The Savvy" - Intonated wraparound tailpiece (Polished Nickel) https://reverb.com/item/39093165?utm_so ... t=39093165

Pat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Quote:
Also, has anyone ever made a compensated tailpiece out of a regular one just by filing some ridges that look like one of these from Bridge City?

Not to my knowledge. Also, it would be a pain in the neck to do, and quite unnecessary since there are intonatable bridge/tailpiece combos available to fit the existing studs.
Thusly - https://www.ebay.com/itm/285055836980

Also, "The Savvy" makes some pretty wild claims about the performance of said part. Anyone with experience knows that it won't work for every gauge of strings. It's marketing hokem, in my estimation.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:32 pm) • Hesh (Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:05 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:09 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I did some work for a client recently with a current model Jr. and the level of adjustment of the Music City bridge was not enough to intonate the thing. But that led me to think that I could use the Music City on my Collings 290. No such luck we had to return that one too.

If you look at vintage Les Pauls from the 50's the offset changes a few times and is by no means standard.

Chris thanks for the mention of strings which really does determine intonation points and can be all over the place. Pat this alone makes the very idea of a one size fits all compensated tail piece a bit of a reach.

So it's a problem and I had to go back to the OEM adjustable bridge on my 290 which is a nice piece of hardware just massive I was trying to lighten things up.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Pmaj7 (Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:36 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
Have you checked out the Shroeder Guitar hardware bridge? Very nice and a stop tale with adjustable pole pieces.

These users thanked the author dofthesea for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:41 pm) • Hesh (Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:43 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:50 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
dofthesea wrote:
Have you checked out the Shroeder Guitar hardware bridge? Very nice and a stop tale with adjustable pole pieces.

That would do the trick but it suffers from the same problem that my Schecter massive bridge suffered from, it's massive and attracts heavenly bodies in space to it :)

I'm an intonation snob and will stop mid song when I hear errors.... so even Tele's with vintage saddles are not a good match but the new ones with compensated saddles I like just fine.

Pat I also wanted to suggest that a great deal of the intonation error can be eliminated at the nut side simply by cutting the nut slots very low. For years every time someone comes in inquiring about compensated nuts we tell them our experience that they are not necessary (steel string world) and that instead well cut nut slots do the trick. So they have always let us do what we prefer (and the only thing we will do if you want a compensated nut please go elsewhere) and we have never not been able to make the pickiest client happy.

Of course the bridge side needs to be properly compensated but you can eliminate a lot of the error at the nut too.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:42 pm) • Chris Pile (Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:03 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Amen on that. If the nut is cut too high, the player will be sharping the string at both ends. Get them low at the nut for ease of play, and for good intonation.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Pmaj7 (Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:42 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

These guys! Yes I have seen a lot of the adjustable ones but I'm really going for the vibe of the original. I just like the look of the simple tailpiece and also the offset.

Hesh, it looks like some of the Collings have a non-adjustable wrap around. Do you know if those have some sort of intonation on the top? Also it looks like from the pictures the Collings has a slight offset?

I agree with getting the strings as low in the nut as possible for intonation

Yes, It would be much easier to just make it parallel to the pickup and have adjustable saddles. I just for the first time saw a picture of one of those gold Les Paul's with a single pickup and an offset wrap around and guitar fever set in! Just going to experiment on a cheap parts caster and see if I even like that style of guitar.

Pat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Speaking of cheap, I recently bought a Harley Benton Double Cut Junior Fat (wide neck) for the low, low price of $175 brand spanking new... One of my clients who owns at least a dozen high dollar Gibsons loved it, and ordered one for himself. It even comes equipped with a stacked P-90 that kicks major hindquarters, and a wraptail bridge.

Here he is playing it after I loaned it to him (and I still haven't gotten it back). When I do, I have an intonatable pigtail to install on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRR2yjl ... =ChrisPile

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): Hesh (Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:22 am) • Pmaj7 (Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:18 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Good tone and nice chops!

Pat

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: Chris Pile (Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:45 am)