Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Corrosion on EVO seems to be pretty variable. Despite a finishing process that saw P400/P600/P800/1200 Imperial wet/dry and machine buff (sewn 8" medium wheel and med/fin compound) to mirror-like shine, we saw everything between the dull brown of old brass frets and more of what Mr. Breakstone showed on the Martin with factory-installed EVO after a few months out in the wild. I suspect this may be the usual sort of combination of intention, habit, and happenstance: atmospheric acidity courtesy of geographic location, perspiration pH and player pre- and post-play routine (hands washed, fretboard wipe-down, etc.), base level of sheen, player left hand use, phase of moon, variation in local acceleration due to gravity and the three body problem, and a few other things which I have forgotten.

Corrosion of EVO wire versus nickel silver and stainless was most certainly a topic of conversation at Greenridge, along with all the other stuff seen on customer guitars that seemed to defy rational explanation. The discussion usually came down to head-scratching and authorization of a medicinal spirit ration.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 3): joshnothing (Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:23 pm) • Hesh (Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:53 am) • Robbie_McD (Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:52 am)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

The demise of EVO wire is a boon to the guitar repair trade. With a little bit of persuasion a client can be convinced the "ping" of stainless is unbearable and their only choice is nickel silver, with the resultant need for fret dressings and - not so eventual - replacement. The "Major Appliance Trade" has learned this lesson, and rather than producing appliances that will last 30 years as they once did, they have convinced people that replacing refrigerators, ranges, washer/dryers, and heat pumps on a 6 to ten year (or less) cycle is normal.
When are guitar makers and repair shops going to start selling extended warrantees so the buyer can prepay for service they may not need? Lets get with the program people! gaah laughing6-hehe

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post (total 3): Hesh (Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:56 am) • Chris Pile (Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:35 am) • Robbie_McD (Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:52 am)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:55 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Woodie G wrote:
Corrosion on EVO seems to be pretty variable. Despite a finishing process that saw P400/P600/P800/1200 Imperial wet/dry and machine buff (sewn 8" medium wheel and med/fin compound) to mirror-like shine, we saw everything between the dull brown of old brass frets and more of what Mr. Breakstone showed on the Martin with factory-installed EVO after a few months out in the wild. I suspect this may be the usual sort of combination of intention, habit, and happenstance: atmospheric acidity courtesy of geographic location, perspiration pH and player pre- and post-play routine (hands washed, fretboard wipe-down, etc.), base level of sheen, player left hand use, phase of moon, variation in local acceleration due to gravity and the three body problem, and a few other things which I have forgotten.

Corrosion of EVO wire versus nickel silver and stainless was most certainly a topic of conversation at Greenridge, along with all the other stuff seen on customer guitars that seemed to defy rational explanation. The discussion usually came down to head-scratching and authorization of a medicinal spirit ration.

Woodie I appreciate your posts a great deal and wanted to thank you for them! Dave and I never thought of the medicinal spirit ration but that's a very good idea! :) We did have a student who is an OLFer bring us some moonshine and I did finish it off but it took me a year to do so :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Woodie G (Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:46 am)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
So... a player I know near Miami claims Rick Turner used ceramic frets a couple times on some guitars. Anyone have a source on that story? I did a quick search and got returns on ceramic flatware and StewMac stainless fretwire.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Rick Turner and ceramic frets are mentioned in this old Mandolin Cafe thread: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-10809.html
"I think ceramic frets are for He Who Has Everything and still needs more. They are literally a high-tech and high-fired ceramic, preshaped and end-dressed for a specific board. Contact Rick Turner at Renaissance Guitars here in Santa Cruz, he's been doing a few guitars with them, so he actually has developed the tooling for installing them (you can't pound them into a slot with a hammer)."

Also: https://www.banjohangout.org/archive/328193
"When I visited Rick Turner in his shop, he showed me a guitar he had just flawlessly fretted with white ceramic material. ( similar material to ceramic honing rods ) It would without doubt be the longest wearing, but I don't know where he gets it. And it must be very difficult to work with. "

Aha! Paydirt: https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bulletin/bulletin-nonpop.asp?BulletinID=20280
"Posted By: Rick Turner Date: 9/12/2007 8:13:23 AM
I work with a guy from England who developed the ceramic frets. I've put them in two instruments, and they're great. The issue right now is cost. We really need to get a major manufacturer interested so the quantities can justify the tooling costs.

I'll have one of the prototypes at the NAMM show in January if any of you are coming and want to see."

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: Chris Pile (Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:14 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Excellent! Food for thought.

The big problem I see with ceramic frets is dressing the fret ends after installation. Diamond files?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:34 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Focus: Build
Woodie G wrote:

I had a customer last year who asked me to help him with some spontaneous corrosion issues on a custom telecaster he’d just commissioned from an EU maker. No matter how rigorously he cleaned the instrument after play, upon opening the case for his next session he’d find corroded frets and humbucker covers. Other metal parts of the instrument were unaffected. Some experimentation revealed the problem - off-gassing from the oil varnish finish in the tight confines of the case was causing the tarnishing of nickel components (hb covers, frets) but it had no effect on chrome components (bridge, tuners, control plate). A stainless refret and swap to chrome covers was the solution.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 4): Pmaj7 (Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:38 am) • Woodie G (Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:45 am) • Hesh (Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:19 pm) • Robbie_McD (Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:05 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
jfmckenna referenced Cryowire. It sounds like the hardness is between standard wire and stainless. I saw something on youtube that said it was 4 times harder than standard wire. It's supposed to be easy to work. Perhaps it has the qualities that Evo has... (without the gold color and corrosion issues). Are there any thoughts about Cryowire?

These users thanked the author sdsollod for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:38 am)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:06 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
On corrosion in the case, not unusual to see Gretsch guitars of a certain age come in with extensive hardware corrosion due to out-gassing of nitric acid from the cellulose nitrate binding. Once that starts, the only remedy is removal of the destabilized cellulose nitrate materials and rebinding, plus possible replacement of the hardware if the plating damage is beyond just the cosmetic.

With EVO, there would need to be a similar acidic vapor or metallic salts + moisture issue, as the material - originally developed to provide a gold-toned eyeglass frame material for those with nickel allergies - is supposed to be fairly corrosion-resistant in constant skin contact situations.

On cryo-treated fret wire... I hesitate to imagine the sheer joy involved in leveling, crowning, and polishing stuff that is harder and tougher than stainless wire. One or two jumbo SS high/wide 118 x 57 refrets per month is my current personal joy limit... any more than that threatens to push me into uncharted territory with regard to my relationship with the sublime. Normal humans are not properly equipped to deal with that much positive emotional energy ;) .

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 4): Smylight (Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:56 am) • joshnothing (Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:20 am) • Hesh (Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:08 am) • Pmaj7 (Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:54 am)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hey Hesh did you guys use that sewing machine tester to test Cryowire?

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:05 am)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:54 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Both cellulose nitrate and cellulose acetate release acids as they break down, and are considered by museum conservators as 'toxic' to collections. They have to be isolated to avoid future damage to other objects.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:28 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Are people still using that kind of stuff, or are modern materials better?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:08 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
jfmckenna wrote:
Hey Hesh did you guys use that sewing machine tester to test Cryowire?

No it sounds like a fad to me that won't last. I also don't understand what problem cryo wire is trying to solve when the stainless frets on some of mine will never wear out for players like me. I mean stainless when it comes to wear can wear out but it's not common and a refret never killed anyone.... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:27 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Wallet fattening.

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post: Hesh (Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:50 am)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hesh wrote:
I also don't understand what problem cryo wire is trying to solve

They are advertising it as being tougher without any extra work. I was assuming they were comparing that to regular fret wire and not stainless.

Pat

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: Hesh (Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:51 am)