Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:19 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I'm in a hotel in Okemos near MSU and had to leave my condo because we lost power from the ice storm Tuesday. It's pretty cold in Michigan this time of year and after trying to stay there for two days with no heat or power I booked a suite near my favorite guitar store in Lansing, Elderly.

So here's what's going to be interesting. I have about 35 guitars hanging on the walls as art and as guitars that my friends and I play. I also have a bad hernia, five actually and have scheduled surgery for May since they claim I may need a 3 or more day stay. So I could not carry anything more than 5 lbs when I left.

The power is scheduled to come back up tomorrow at noon. Yeah right I can hear ya already... :) When it does and since I have no way of knowing if the power schmucks are telling the truth and/or the nature of power girds they can't know what other problems exist down the line until the bring up an area. So I don't want to give up my digs here and be homeless in the cold.

We had 800,000 people in Michigan without power in February.

So the recovery plan is this:

When the power comes back up my security system and multiple devices will send me messages letting me know my network is up. Then I can look at my thermostat from wherever I am it's one of those God awful, not really for prime time NEST Google thermostats.

When the power comes back up I will be able to tell the temp there now and the RH from my phone app for my home. My cameras will also come up, I have half a dozen and I can visually see many of my rooms for a water from a broken pipe and such problem if that happened.

My plan is to bring up the temp slowly knowing as I do being in the repair business that thermal shock is a top splitter and bridge lifter and finish crazer. So if it tells me it's 35F I'm going to set it to 40F and wait four hours and then when it's 40F we will repeat to 45F and wait four hours and so on and so forth.

So in this example my rate of temp increase is 5 degrees every four hours. Close to one degree an hour.

I know that most of you can't know if this is sufficient, I don't know either I have never done this before.

But any considerations, advice, thoughts that you might like to share with ole Hesh here who wants to save his kids/guitars from any harm in the recovery process would be very much appreciated.

I have an automatic, commercial humidifier solution that will and does maintain 45% at all times so we have that covered and it's plumbed in so it never runs out.

I'm very worried about my guitars though.....

Thanks

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): bcombs510 (Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:56 am) • Michaeldc (Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:33 am)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:16 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike/Mikey/Michael/hey you!
Last Name: Collins
City: Argyle
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12809
Focus: Build
WoW !
Hang in there!

These users thanked the author Mike Collins for the post: Hesh (Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:49 am)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:32 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Fingers crossed!! I know we have a love/hate reaction to how tech has affected our lives, some good, some bad. In this case tech has allowed you to monitor and control the outcome - once the power comes back on…

Again, fingers crossed, M

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Hesh (Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:49 am)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:56 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Yeah, that’s rough, Hesh. I hope it all turns out OK and good luck on your surgery in May!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Hesh (Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:52 am)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
I have no help for you, my friend - but I feel for you and understand. I wish you the best of luck!

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:52 am)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:51 am 

Michaeldc wrote:
Fingers crossed!! I know we have a love/hate reaction to how tech has affected our lives, some good, some bad. In this case tech has allowed you to monitor and control the outcome - once the power comes back on…

Again, fingers crossed, M

Hey Michael that is a VERY valid point and I am a tech guy and always have been. Was an enterprise software engineer for GE back in the day.

You're right maybe I should cut my NEST thermostat some slack because in this case it gives me options I would not have otherwise. Great point!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Michaeldc (Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:45 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:41 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hi Hesh,
If it goes to plan I think you will be O.K. When guitars go from cold cars to warm houses we usually only allow an hour or so for the cases to warm up. No Guarantees - and most of us wind up a little crazed eventually, but I think they will be O.K.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Hesh (Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:16 am)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me Hesh, good luck brother.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:16 am)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Your plan sounds like what I would do, for whatever that's worth.

Is your heating system forced air and are any of the guitars on the wall near air registers? If any are, I think your plan to bring the temp up in small increments would be a good idea. Any chance you could set it to raise the temperature specifically by just one degree per hour? If it's set to go up by 5 degrees and hold for five hours, you'll actually get an increase of 5 degrees in the first 15-20 minutes. May not be an issue, but if you want to be ultra conservative, setting it to increase the temp by 1 degree every hour on the hour might be worth considering.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:46 am) • Hesh (Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:17 am)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:27 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
Not answering the question but good luck with the big freeze.

We are at the end of the line with power so I have been checking the firewood stocks and the butane for the camping stove. But two or three days would start getting a bit grim. The batteries for lights would be getting low and no hot water...

And what about the cats!

Good luck also to your neighbours. We in the UK think a few degrees a bit lower than zero C is cold but I guess you have much lower than that.

All the best Dave

These users thanked the author Dave m2 for the post: Hesh (Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:21 am)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:11 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
When this is over Hesh, move South. Yes, we have tornados, but rarely temp extremes like that. Good luck!

These users thanked the author Mike OMelia for the post: Hesh (Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:21 am)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:20 am 

J De Rocher wrote:
Your plan sounds like what I would do, for whatever that's worth.

Is your heating system forced air and are any of the guitars on the wall near air registers? If any are, I think your plan to bring the temp up in small increments would be a good idea. Any chance you could set it to raise the temperature specifically by just one degree per hour? If it's set to go up by 5 degrees and hold for five hours, you'll actually get an increase of 5 degrees in the first 15-20 minutes. May not be an issue, but if you want to be ultra conservative, setting it to increase the temp by 1 degree every hour on the hour might be worth considering.

Good point J about the 5 degree bump at once I thought that too. My power came back yesterday afternoon and I'm a couple hours away in a hotel. But I started yesterday going 1 - 2 degrees an hour with the phone app and yes I woke up to do it in the night. :) It's 3:00 AM here in Lansing.

Heating is gas forced air butane of the guitars are where they can take a hit from a heat register or on an outside wall.

So we are already back up to 65F and I'm feeling much better and packing up the Honda to steer south and go home.

There's no place like home.

Thanks J!!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Robbie_McD (Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:26 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:22 am 

Mike OMelia wrote:
When this is over Hesh, move South. Yes, we have tornados, but rarely temp extremes like that. Good luck!

:) Now this is the best suggestion yet. Who needs this dang winter, ice, snow it BS I tell ya.... :D

Thanks Mike!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:23 am 

Power came back yesterday afternoon and I have been raising the temp 1 - 2 degrees an hour and I'm headed home.

Yay!!! :)

Thanks everyone!!!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 3): jfmckenna (Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:46 am) • bcombs510 (Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:55 am) • Michaeldc (Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:00 am)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Glad you're getting back into your home. Hope all the guitars are ok.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Hesh (Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:57 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:00 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Hesh wrote:
Mike OMelia wrote:

:) Now this is the best suggestion yet. Who needs this dang winter, ice, snow it BS I tell ya.... :D

Thanks Mike!!

One hour from Nashville

These users thanked the author Mike OMelia for the post: Hesh (Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:33 am)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:36 am 

Mike OMelia wrote:
Hesh wrote:
Mike OMelia wrote:

Thanks Mike!!

One hour from Nashville

Yeah and I've considered that if I ever head south I thought the Nashville area would be good too. Robin Ford told us he loved it there after escaping from LA.

I want to work until I can't because I love making folks happy making their guitars play better than ever. With all the pickers in Nashville even with the heavy competition there I suspect there might be a place for ole Heshtone here. ;)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Robbie_McD (Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:27 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:37 am 

SteveSmith wrote:
Glad you're getting back into your home. Hope all the guitars are ok.

Everyone says ;) that they are OK so that means I am too. Whew, it ain't easy having this many kids. :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 4): Clay S. (Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:12 am) • bcombs510 (Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:37 pm) • Michaeldc (Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:08 am) • SteveSmith (Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:12 am)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:21 pm 

And the guitar I bought while staying near Elderly Instruments arrived today and it's great.

2018 Firebird Studio in EC. Pictured is my new friend Ben Nelson from Elderly posing for me.

Want to learn some Johnny Winter tunes and thought a Firebird would be a nice touch. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: bcombs510 (Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:37 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:47 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Pierre
Last Name: Castonguay
City: Québec, Qc
So, Hesh…

Are all the guitars OK?

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:41 pm 

Yep everyone is in good shape. Whew.....

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 3): Smylight (Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:34 pm) • Robbie_McD (Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:28 pm) • bcombs510 (Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:44 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:35 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Pierre
Last Name: Castonguay
City: Québec, Qc
>phew<…

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

These users thanked the author Smylight for the post: Hesh (Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:29 am)