Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Focus: Build
I try to add one new tool to the shop during each successive build. This time, I'd be delighted to have a troji so I can securely locate the guitar body while I'm sanding the rim.

And no joy.

I'd love to be pointed towards a set of plans for one. Anyone know of any?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: troji project
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
See the link in this thread. It still works.

http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/view ... hp?t=26915

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:17 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Although not a troji, here is a handy vise for holding guitar bodies. It was inspired by a more substantial one that was made with pipe clamps and plywood made by someone on the OLF. I just knocked it together with a couple of cheap HF clamps and some MCP and it works O.K. It gets clamped to the bench and is easily removed and put away, so it takes up less space than a troji. A narrow board can be placed on the clamps to avoid the guitar accidently slipping through the clamp when desired.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: troji project
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
My body holder/troji is a permanent installation built with two bench screws and is so critical to how I work for both build and repair that I’m not sure how I functioned without it.

I considered making it free-standing but bench integrated works better for me as with the mass of the bench I can clamp a body and apply a lot of force to the neck joint during resets without anything budging. The coarser thread pitch on the bench screws is also key compared to the finer pitch thread on the pipe clamps I used as a prototype. It allows quick adjustment, just a few turns, to fit any body depth and taper. Both jaws are removable 3/4” plywood with dense closed cell urethane foam padding. They drop in from the top with grooves that sit over the screws. Not visible in the pic is a web of straps connecting the bottom of each jaw that will catch an instrument should it accidentally fall when the vice is opened due to operator error.

Also not present in the picture is some leather padding that normally sits over the exposed portion of the vice screws.

I cannot recall the exact distance between screws but it’s somewhere around 32-36”.

I have a non-padded set of jaws too which allows this to be used as a large and powerful moxon vice which can hold large fixtures and tooling absolutely immobile. When screwed totally shut with the jaws removed it is very low-profile which is important in my small shop.

It is installed on the “rear” face of my bench and so a guitar in this vice leaves the main bench surface free. Often I will be performing some repair on the guitar in the troji and while waiting for a drop fill to cure or glue to dry I can still use the main bench to proceed with setup work etc

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Clay S. (Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:23 am)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I use a Veritas twin screw vise with the exact type of foam Josh’s photo shows, but thicker. I bandsawed a curve into the foam, so that it grabs the edges of the guitar and doesn’t put any pressure on the plates. It works really well. The heavier duty foam has a good balance between rigidity and give.

I am toying with the idea of building something like it, but smaller and a bit lighter, and mounting it on something that will tilt, so as to avoid having to bend over to work on the sides. My back seems to complain more about the bending over as I get older. But if that’s not an issue, the twin screw end vise approach (handmade or store bought) is a good alternative to a stand alone Troji.

Instead of installing a hammock underneath, I just put a shop stool under the open bottom to keep a guitar from falling through.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: joshnothing (Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:33 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I like the idea of using a web of straps or hammock in place of the board I am presently using - a better safety net. Thanks Josh and Don.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

No worries, Clay. Instead of a stool, a person could just put a large dog bed under the vise. Or install the strap. Lots of ways to protect the guitar from a fall through the open bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:15 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Here is the thread where I showed my setup. The relevant post is near the bottom of the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=54264&p=712727&hilit=adams+buffer#p712727

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:23 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Peter if you want any other ideas and examples you can see a bit of ours on the right side of the photo. I'm home today but the next time I'm at our city shop I'll take pics for you if you want me to?

We had a great location too which is a huge part of what makes these things so useful. As always a walk-through of how you intend to use it often reveal opportunities to make it better or that there are issues with the original plan.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Hesh on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: joshnothing (Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:33 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:37 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
We had bench-mounted and the bar-clamp-based free-standing versions, and it was just quicker and easier to use the free-standing floor version if there was available space in the shop. Ours were not fastened to the concrete floor... the oversized 3/4" plywood base (with well-chamfered edges) allowed body weight to be used where necessary to keep things in place. Easy enough to slide the trojy around to whatever space was open when we had 3-4 people working.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: joshnothing (Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:33 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:46 am 

Here ya go. I thought I remembered that the OLF had plans available at one time and that Rod True had something to do with it way back then: http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10117&t=26915&p=722357&hilit=troji#p722357

There's more threads too just search "troll" in the video and whatever plans forum.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:08 am 

I see someone already posted the link to the True thread.

The OLF used to have plans available and lots of us built them from the OLF plan. Maybe PM Lance and see if he has any more laying around he can let go of?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Anyone else notice that the Troji and the leg vise are basically the same tool?

These users thanked the author StevenWheeler for the post: Hesh (Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:17 am)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:20 am 

StevenWheeler wrote:
Anyone else notice that the Troji and the leg vise are basically the same tool?

I didn't but you make a great point Steven.

A few differences but basically a squeeze play in action.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Rob
Last Name: McDougall
City: Cochrane
State: Alberta
Here is a link to the Troji Plan that I used:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CWNzQv ... sp=sharing

These users thanked the author Robbie_McD for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:51 pm) • Gasawdust (Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:06 am)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Russell
State: Michigan USA
Focus: Repair
Thanks for that link Rob,

I had those plans and was going to build one a while back but somehow lost them. Well they may be on one of my hard drives but couldn't seem to find them. That is what happens when you have 4 terabytes of hard drive space on your PC and 5 terabyte backup drive... Yea, I"m a computer geek... duh

So thanks for posting those.

Cheers,
Bob

These users thanked the author RusRob for the post: Robbie_McD (Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:15 am)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
The one I bought from Canadian Luther Supply is bang on to that plan. Maybe it’s the same plan? Rod is from BC right?

That thing is ripe for someone to bang out a bunch on the CNC. I’m not offering, just an observation. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:34 pm 
Koa
Koa

I just bought mine… don’t remember what I paid but it’s a great tool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:39 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Thanks, folks. I didn't forget you, life intruded. I'm gonna have fun with this!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

In case you opt for a mounted vise instead of the stand-alone Troji, here are photos of the Veritas twin screw vise I mentioned above, with the closed cell foam (bandsawed curves) and the stool to prevent a guitar falling through:

Attachment:
Twin screw vise 1.jpg

Attachment:
Twin screw vise 2.jpg

Sorry, that second photo has some glare. The shop gets a lot of sunlight in the morning. As mentioned, this setup works really well for me. I am going to see about building something that tilts (to minimize bending over), but this vise excels at its job.

As you can see, I put small bits of pipe insulation over the screws of the vise in order to protect the guitar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:31 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
I have the same Veritas vice - on a slightly narrower bench - and it works great. Mine is narrow enough that an OM cannot slip through between the vice screws. I have pieces of an old exercise mat on the jaws, about 1 inch thick closed cell foam, and pipe insulation over the screws. You do have to be careful tightening the vise - it could easily crush the box.

The vice can also skew a little, making it nice to clamp a tapered object like a neck.

These users thanked the author bionta for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:01 am)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

bionta wrote:
You do have to be careful tightening the vise - it could easily crush the box.

For sure, it has the oomph. That’s why I think the right foam (closed cell) and cutting arcs in the foam is important for this particular setup.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: bionta (Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:12 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:14 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
doncaparker wrote:
bionta wrote:
You do have to be careful tightening the vise - it could easily crush the box.

For sure, it has the oomph. That’s why I think the right foam (closed cell) and cutting arcs in the foam is important for this particular setup.

I’ll have to try shaped foam pads like yours. Looks safer and more secure. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:30 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Clay,

here's something similar to your holder but a little more elaborate. From ANZLF, Shoulder Holder Guitar Vise

Image Image

Clay S. wrote:
Although not a troji, here is a handy vise for holding guitar bodies. It was inspired by a more substantial one that was made with pipe clamps and plywood made by someone on the OLF. I just knocked it together with a couple of cheap HF clamps and some MCP and it works O.K. It gets clamped to the bench and is easily removed and put away, so it takes up less space than a troji. A narrow board can be placed on the clamps to avoid the guitar accidently slipping through the clamp when desired.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:56 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hi Steve,
That is an interesting variation, and I would encourage people to follow the link you posted to see the entire post which explains it better.
I like the idea of the flexible jaw. His clamp looks a bit more fussy to set up, but stores away more compactly.
I use removable foam padding as shown and have made 4 smaller foam pads (not shown) that slip over top of the jaws that can be positioned so the sides of the guitar body are clamped firmly but the back and front are only clamped at the edges. The flexible jaw and a shaped foam caul ( like Don uses) if installed on the other jaw, might allow the entire surface to conform to the guitar body and better distribute the clamping pressure.