Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
Ha! If mine tried drying her hair with my paint stripper I think she’d be surprised!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Hey, I put labels on my tool drawers so that my wife (whose workshop is just down the hall from mine) can find things she needs to borrow. The only thing she gets uptight about me borrowing is fabric scissors. Everything else we both have is available for anyone who knows how to use the specific tool.

But I also don’t borrow her iron. I have more sense than that. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
I would make a new neck, and call that one a learning experience. However, since we are playing around with ideas to save or re-use this one, here is another suggestion.
Attachment:
poolcue.jpg

You could take the backplate off the headstock, lose the volute, and install a longer backstrap that extends down the neck - like a pool-cue design. I got this idea from Nigel Forster's guitars. Check his website for tasteful examples of this.
https://www.nkforsterguitars.com/gallery/

I also endorse the absolute necessity of your own clothes iron for the workshop if you are in a domestic relationship with a significant other.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:01 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Grant
Thanks Mark. I’be got the neck back into what I feel is a good state, with part of the truss rod channel filled with a mahogany shim. The cracking left some nasty remnants that didn’t get glued down all the way by the caul that I clamped on, so I sanded it back and applied some epoxy to pore fill the neck and work some into those small fissures. It’s ugly, but I’m enjoying the learning experience that this has become…now that the frustration has subsided.

Also, my wife is a super outdoorsy ecologist and would rather spend her days in flannel and hiking pants. She uses our iron once or twice a year. Despite that, I’ll get my own shop iron and save myself the occasional side-eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:55 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
doncaparker wrote:
Hey, I put labels on my tool drawers so that my wife (whose workshop is just down the hall from mine) can find things she needs to borrow. The only thing she gets uptight about me borrowing is fabric scissors. Everything else we both have is available for anyone who knows how to use the specific tool.

I had, had a girlfriend who went on the nut, not mine... when I used her Ginger scissors. She's gone but I got the Gingers :) [clap] [clap] [clap] :D What is it about sewing scissors that invokes memories of Loretta Bobbitt? :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I actually have the answer to that, Hesh: Because to someone who sews, the things we woodworkers use really nice scissors for is the equivalent of using a high quality, sharp chisel to open a paint can. My wife explained it to me. :D

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Durero (Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:55 am)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
doncaparker wrote:
I actually have the answer to that, Hesh: Because to someone who sews, the things we woodworkers use really nice scissors for is the equivalent of using a high quality, sharp chisel to open a paint can. My wife explained it to me. :D

Yep, learned that from my mom when I was about 10. She was very emphatic. :(

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I caught my wife using my fret hammer to put up a picture frame once. Don't tell her that I use some of her pottery bowls for water slide decals!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:54 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

doncaparker wrote:

Scissors, like chisels, come it a variety of qualities and prices. Those who use them to make a living are willing to pay what most of us would consider exorbitant prices for a professional quality tool:
https://kamisorishears.com/product/swor ... ng-shears/
Fabric scissors are somewhere in between haircutting shears and what we have in our tackle boxes.
My favorite iron is a folding travel iron - small, compact, and dual voltage. Frequently borrowed by our daughter, who is good about returning it when done with it. You can find them on eBay for not too much money.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

A great scissor movie: Dead Again, 1991, Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson. "These . . . are for you!!!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
grantmefood wrote:
SnowManSnow wrote:
I’ve done it.
Thats means carving a new neck imo

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. Just for kicks, do you know what the risk is of leaving it as-is for the sake of finishing the guitar and calling it a learning experience? Could the truss rod eventually come through the back of the neck over time because there's so little wood supporting it? I already have back and sides sets for numbers 2 and 3, so this only the start for me.

Friend once told me.... It can be right once , or wrong forever...... You learned , make a new neck .... That being said

Dont throw away neck , Take out truss rod . Open slot a distance up back of neck and glue in skunk stripe and then glue in carbon fiber rod from top. You may want to have campfire guitar one day and that neck would work fine for that . Just a thunk

Attachment:
skunk stripe.jpg

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:24 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Robert
Last Name: Metcalfe
State: BC
grantmefood wrote:
She uses our iron once or twice a year. Despite that, I’ll get my own shop iron and save myself the occasional side-eye.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
doncaparker wrote:

My wife says using her fabric scissors is a good defense against her getting off for killin me laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:30 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Robert
Last Name: Metcalfe
State: BC
Grant is a pro-level husband. Note that he referred to the clothes iron as “our iron” rather than “her” iron.

I have regretted making what I think of now as a rookie mistake. “Her vacuum” is particularly unwelcome.

If your wife doesn’t seem to mind, at least on the surface, she may be plotting as you sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Sasamat&Trimble wrote:
Grant is a pro-level husband. Note that he referred to the clothes iron as “our iron” rather than “her” iron.

I have regretted making what I think of now as a rookie mistake. “Her vacuum” is particularly unwelcome.

If your wife doesn’t seem to mind, at least on the surface, she may be plotting as you sleep.

laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe