Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Livermore
State: Minnesota
Focus: Build
I just noticed Taylor has redesigned the 12 string bridge, essentially doing away with it, using a 6 string bridge, putting two strings in each hole and slotting the saddle to space the strings out.

Has anyone check this out? How about has anyone tried it yet? Is it as simple as it looks or are there other pieces to it inside the guitar.
Here's a link to a picture of it
https://i.imgur.com/OiPVNdi.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:36 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Colleen
Last Name: McTigue
City: St. Catharines
State: Ontario
That just seems nuts. I bet it’s more complicated than it looks. And why wouldn’t the strings have a consistent break angle over the saddle with the conventional setup?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:05 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
This ain’t new.

Colleen, the front row of pins will yield a different break angle than the back row of pins…

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Colleen_M (Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:11 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Taylor are not the first - there was a post not so long ago covering 12 strings with 6 hole bridges which I just can't find at the moment
Post on another forum here https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551938

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:21 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Terry
Seems like a manufacturing optimization to me. And a reminder that I'm glad I only have to deal with 6 strings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Here's one from 8 years ago:) http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=584614#p584614

I will definitely do it this way if I ever make a 12 string. Less holes in the soundboard, and less pins with their added cost and weight and fiddling-with when changing strings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I use the two strings per hole approach on my flat top octave mandolins. Half as many holes and smaller bridge size while maintaining plenty of gluing surface area. If the holes are slotted correctly for the two strings, string changes aren't any more difficult.

I don't know about inside of the Taylor 12-string, but there's nothing on the inside of my octave mandolins that's different from my guitars that have bridges with one string per hole. If I built a 12-string guitar, I would do the same.

One thing I do that's different from Taylor's approach is that each string in a hole has its own ramp. This separates the strings from each other so that the saddle doesn't have to be slotted to space the strings out on the saddle.

Attachment:
Octave Mandolin 3.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: Robbie_McD (Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:53 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:39 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Doug
Last Name: Powdrell
City: Hilo
State: Hawaii
Zip/Postal Code: 96720
Yep.....been doing that on my 8 string ukuleles for years......probably learned about it here on OLF......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:53 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've done it both ways - two rows of pins, or a single row with two strings per hole. when I use a single row I "V" out the string slots so the strings are properly spaced and the ball ends don't interfere with each other as J mentioned.
Either way works fine, but as Dennis mentioned - less holes in a highly stressed area.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:00 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Sigh..... and I just invented the jet engine in my basement. :)

Bet ya those bridges will peel up just as easily as a 12 hole bridge will AND with better break angles too, now that's special.... :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:59 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
Yes, the two-strings-in-the-same-hole trick has been around for decades. I also have done it on an octave mandolin. Very easy to achieve just by cutting two slots in the front of the hole and using a non-slotted pin. Like Dennis said, it means the bridge can be less massive and there are fewer holes drilled through the top.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:01 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I'm not sure a less massive bridge on a 12 is desirable.... Gluing foot print is even more important on a 12 which is why they are typically larger than a 6 string bridge.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
That is what I do on the 12 string falcate braced guitars. The braces interfere with 12 holes. I first saw this in the Aussie forum

Attachment:
DSC00214 small.JPG

Attachment:
DSC00218 small.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:37 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Martin's D12 David Crosby artist model twelve-string with six-hole bridge was based on the D-18 which Mr. Crosby had renecked and converted to a 12 string in 1964 while he was with the Byrds so as to have a Martin-branded 12 string. This was well before the D12-20 became available in late 1964 or the D12-35 in 1965. I don't have the custom Martin model reference book at hand, but IIRC, the guitar duplicated the 1964 conversion to a degree, including the bridge configuration and maple neck (???), but added a 45-Style rosette and some model-specific inlay. We had one of these in for work well before the pandemic, but I don't recall anything remarkable beyond the odd bridge configuration and the sailing ship inlay (I actually recall the inlay, but not exact location... possibly peghead?).

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Yes, headstock
https://reverb.com/uk/item/41398183-martin-d12-david-crosby-special-edition-2009-vintage-amber

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
This isn't quite the same... I converted a small guitar into a dulcitar - guitar strung in dulcimer tuning. I didn't want to redrill the bridge, so I added brass pins to aid in string spacing. The nut was also recut for string spacing. This basically yielded a convertible instrument. I can restring it as a guitar, or play it like this (which is pretty fun). You have to pay attention when stringing it because of the crossover at the bridge.

https://imgur.com/3hIp9yK

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: joshnothing (Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:28 am)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Chris Pile wrote:
This isn't quite the same... I converted a small guitar into a dulcitar - guitar strung in dulcimer tuning. I didn't want to redrill the bridge, so I added brass pins to aid in string spacing. The nut was also recut for string spacing. This basically yielded a convertible instrument. I can restring it as a guitar, or play it like this (which is pretty fun). You have to pay attention when stringing it because of the crossover at the bridge.

https://imgur.com/3hIp9yK

Very clever and cool!