Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Bosch colt replacement?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:52 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: kent
Focus: Build
Mine just died, I've been using it for heavier work making bee hives recently so probably my own fault. Any reccomendations for replacement? Tempted by makita cordless as I have the batteries etc or are they no good? Im in ireland by the way so no harbour freight grizzly etc.
Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:24 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
I really like my Makita 700 series (corded) only thing it lacks is fine depth adjustment, but I get past that with spacer strips for rosette channels.
Real good deal I found here https://www.howetools.co.uk/makita-rt0700cx4-240v-router-trimmer-14-collet?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_7KXBhCoARIsAPdPTfi-554OLFfI8njnwHE45juPEdcrkWYmL5D01Z_XOOIfSchNH_5ndekaAlloEALw_wcB

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:34 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
I like the ridge laminate trimmer easy to adjust and adjustable speed

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:38 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

You might be able to find a Virutex trimmer. They are well made, run smoothly, but are not cheap. You don't see many of them on this side of the pond because they run on 220 -240V and need a transformer when used on a 110V circuit.
The only reservation I would have about a cordless router is that routers typically are used for extended periods of time and require a fair amount of power. For guitar making, where we are generally doing small jobs (routing rosettes, bindings, etc.) they may work fine.
Any chance that replacing the brushes and cleaning the stator might breath new life into the Colt? Are the bearings trashed?
In my youth I abused a PC circular saw during a solo demolition of a two story house I once owned. By the time the house was cut up and thrown in dumpsters, the saw was weak and seemed pretty well cooked. A new set of brushes and a little TLC and I still use the saw today!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:53 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
I really like the Dewalt trimmers - they’re well made and precisebits offer a precision collet for them, which is nice for rosettes etc. I presume you can get these in Europe as there are 230v/240v versions available here in Australia.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:27 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
Absolutely the Dewalt. The one with fixed base plus plunge. Model D26204K-LX I think.

Using the fixed base in my binding rebate jig gives excellent depth control. It is very smooth with very low runout. The plunge base also has good depth control with a threaded end to the stick thingumy that rests on the turret giving again very good control.

I use the corded version so can't comment on the battery powered but presumably the rest of the machine is the same. I would certainly like to hear if someone is using the battery one what they think.

Cheers Dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:34 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
When we were developing the Collins Saddle Mill we bought samples of all the available trimmers trying as we would to find something as close to the PC 310 RIP that we love as we could.

The DeWalt was the best of the lot and had the least runout and other features that we liked so we went with it. These were hands on tests including run out and ease of and repeatability of the adjustments.

FYI the very worst one was the Colt and our apprentice at that time tested three of them and they all had by far more runout than any other.

Now nearly a decade later with our mill and the other ones we sold including to other busy repair shop we have not had any failures with the DeWalt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:35 am 

Also, Precise Bits on-line has after market collets for the DeWalt that reduce the minimal runout even further. We went with those too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gleason
City: Kurtistown
State: Hawaii
Zip/Postal Code: 96760
I have always had multiples of the same kind of trimmer for jobs when I don't want to be messing with adjusting depths. I tried Bosches, but did not like them so I sold them. Little rattle traps they were. I did try Ridgid's too, but here in my high humidity the brushes froze in their channels. Happened 3 times. HD does have that free warrantee, but when I tried it, it took over a month to get the router back. Not very good! I threw 4 Ridgids in the trash and went to Makita. Great trimmers. I have 1 corded one and 3 of the cordless. I seldom use anything but the cordless ones. They are really good. Pretty long battery life, but as long as you have an extra battery, battery life is usually not an issue. And once you have tried the Makita cordless tools, you'll probably end up getting more. Same batteries.The Makita cordless circular saw is great tool. Looking back over my router life, Makita and Hitachi are the only routers that have been really dependable for me.--Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:12 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Michael
Last Name: Bradley
I have the Bosch trimmer(UK version) and can't wait for it to die! I've never liked it, it's very noisy and vibrates violently. I wish I had bought the Makita in the first place. In hopeful anticipation of it expiring I did some research and discovered there is a Makita Chinese Clone , the Katsu Trimmer which is a lot cheaper and has good reviews. The accessories are interchangeable with Makita's also. It's worth investigating. Mike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
The Ridgid trim routers continue to soldier on in specialty jigs, but Greenridge went to the DeWalt DWP-611 for general use. Excellent in all regards, and affordable. Also a number of aftermarket accessories in terms of bases. Even after dozen of iterations of milling semi-processed 7075-T6 forgings to fully-finished dimensions, we saw no issues re: wear or slop, and that material is very tough on both cutting tools and routers.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Hesh (Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:36 am)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

Dewalt with the plunge base for me. I still use a Colt on my binding cutter, but the Dewalt for general purpose use.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:08 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
I also use the Dewalt 611’s. I’ve bought 8 of them so far and they stay set up for various tasks. Two of them are the cordless, which I’ve really liked. They are especially good for rosettes in a Wells Karol jig. No cord to get twisted up. I also use the battery powered one in the LMI binding cutting jig. I had to modify the base on mine because they make them for Bosch, Makita, and Rigid. I think even the new one is still no Dewalt which is maddening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Hesh (Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:37 am)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:57 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: kent
Wow, great responses and info thanks all! After a several year hiatus I can't wait to build/ finish a few guitars hopefully third winter. Workshop is nearly finished!

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:37 am 

bcombs510 wrote:
I also use the Dewalt 611’s. I’ve bought 8 of them so far and they stay set up for various tasks. Two of them are the cordless, which I’ve really liked. They are especially good for rosettes in a Wells Karol jig. No cord to get twisted up. I also use the battery powered one in the LMI binding cutting jig. I had to modify the base on mine because they make them for Bosch, Makita, and Rigid. I think even the new one is still no Dewalt which is maddening.

Eight of them, Brad you might want to consider lam trimmer rehab :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: bcombs510 (Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:32 am)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:53 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hesh wrote:
bcombs510 wrote:

Laminate trimmers are like potato chips - you can't have just one. Last count I have 19, but whose counting? [:Y:] They are mostly old Rockwell and PC trimmers, with an old style Bosch and a Virutex thrown in for good measure. I have an old PC 155 that is probably 60 years old and still going strong routing edges. I've used many of the other brands but prefer the Rockwell/PC trimmers for most work.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Hesh (Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:00 am)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:02 am 

Clay S. wrote:
Hesh wrote:
bcombs510 wrote:

Laminate trimmers are like potato chips - you can't have just one. Last count I have 19, but whose counting? [:Y:] They are mostly old Rockwell and PC trimmers, with an old style Bosch and a Virutex thrown in for good measure. I have an old PC 155 that is probably 60 years old and still going strong routing edges. I've used many of the other brands but prefer the Rockwell/PC trimmers for most work.

:D laughing6-hehe I see that Clay and we have some too. I think we have about 7 of them so Brad has us beat.

Dave Collins knows Olsen who built James Taylor's guitars and Dave said that Olsen has over 60 of them all dedicated to specific jobs. So Jim has us all beat :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
I've only got 6, guess I'm on the deprived side [uncle]

Edit: I've also moved to the DeWalt 611's with Precise Bits collets. Nice tools.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Hesh (Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:33 am)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:12 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I'm using a Rigid laminate trimmer right now, with no problems. My other router is a 1960's Sears Craftsman, all metal. commercial duty. It's still running great and very accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

It pays to have a backup... new in the box.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Don Williams for the post: Hesh (Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:06 am)

Post subject: Bosch colt replacement?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Don Williams wrote:

Show off :)

Steve

Last edited by SteveSmith on Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Hesh (Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:42 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:07 am 

Don Williams wrote:

We have three but not new in box, that's cool. The last time I looked the new in box ones were fetching north of $300. Don't sell it though, you know you are already there that these were the best in class.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
I bought a Makita, it had a decent height adjustment, but it did not have a soft start like the Colt.
I had a hard time holding onto it when first turned on.
I went back to the Colt, even though the height adjustment is terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:22 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
That PC 310 I bought years ago when I didn't have a clue about what I was buying sure has been a treat to use.

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post: Hesh (Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:42 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:44 am 

phavriluk wrote:
That PC 310 I bought years ago when I didn't have a clue about what I was buying sure has been a treat to use.

We all ours R2D2 because it looks like R2D2 :).

You know too it has the low center of gravity that is great for rosettes and any free hand stuff too.

Someone would make it again and we would buy five.