Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
Focus: Build
My 3M mask with dust filters -- which have been changed many times -- is getting pretty grungy after 17 years, so I'm in the market for a replacement. I suspect what's available out there has changed since then. Or maybe not? Any recommendations?

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:31 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
3M is what I still use…

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Pat Foster (Thu May 12, 2022 12:46 pm)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Trend stealth here. Smaller, more comfortable than the 3Ms - I've been using with UVEX u-sonic slimline goggles.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Pat Foster (Thu May 12, 2022 12:47 pm)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:35 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
3m for me

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post: Pat Foster (Thu May 12, 2022 12:47 pm)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
If I wear a half mask, it is the Elipse P100 from GVS. They sell versions for both particulate protection and organic vapor protection, and each version has replaceable filters. They are very comfortable and convenient for that type of mask.

However, I recently bought some used 3M Versaflo PAPR gear, and it is the Mack daddy. Full face protection, so no safety glasses are needed. You can wear your prescription glasses. It is positive air flow, so you can have facial hair and you are still well protected (try that with a half mask). They sell add-on ear muffs, so you can have all of the important PPE (vision, respiratory, hearing) as part of the same helmet. 3M sells various filters, so you can switch between particulate and organic vapor filters in a moment. This stuff is expensive as heck, but boy, it is comfy and highly protective.

The thing that drove me over the edge and made me OK with the cost was pondering the difference between risk and cumulative harm. When I use a saw, I risk losing a finger, but as long as I am careful and follow proper safety measures, that risk is driven to a very low level, and the strong odds are that I will keep all my fingers. Zero harm. But exposing my body to chemicals and dust is not simply a risk; every time I do it, I am accumulating incremental harm to my body. If I do it once, I will likely be fine in the long run. But if I expose my body again, and again, and again, at some point my body will hit the point where I experience real harm. Some folks have higher tolerances than others to these sorts of harm, but we all have a point at which the accumulation of dust (or a particular chemical, or whatever) will make our bodies not work well. I’m willing to pay good money to protect myself against that accumulated harm. Just a cheery thought to start your Thursday!

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 3): joshnothing (Fri May 13, 2022 7:02 am) • Robbie_McD (Thu May 12, 2022 6:54 pm) • Pat Foster (Thu May 12, 2022 12:47 pm)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:12 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
I’m using a powered PAPR unit these days too. Sundstrom SR500 belt pack w/ a loose cloth hood. Let’s me keep my facial hair, good for dust as well as organic vapour yada yada. Being a cloth hood, it’s light weight. All the weight is in the belt pack, so I find I can easily wear it for long periods. This is good as I use it mainly for spraying nitro. The instruments hang and off-gas in the shop, having the hood on let’s me work the rest of the day without sucking in fumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Pat Foster (Sat May 14, 2022 12:16 pm)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:54 am 
Koa
Koa

I have as retired Triton. When it was discontinued, I can no longer buy replacement filters. So, perhaps the lesson is to stay with a big name like 3M, for less chance of discontinuance.

These users thanked the author wbergman for the post: Pat Foster (Sat May 14, 2022 12:16 pm)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:33 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
When visiting with Don he sold me on the PAPR as well. I won an auction for a used 3M TR-800 kit from Ebay for $700. Same reasons as you, Josh, beard and glasses. I also ordered a flip down visor to use while curing UV finish which Don also recommended (thanks, Don!). I'm looking forward to having some air pumped in while curing. My spray / cure booth is small and the heat from the lamp makes the air at shoulder level and above about 15 degrees warmer. Pulling air in from waist level may just keep me from breaking into a flop sweat while curing. :D

Here's the kit (that price new, yowzers!) - https://www.industrialsafetyproducts.co ... -painters/

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Pat Foster (Sat May 14, 2022 12:16 pm)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:07 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
In my old day job I use to manage our respiratory protection program for hazardous waste workers. I would be suspicious of woodworker centric respirators. I have seen some of these with completely useless filtration material. I definitely recommend sticking with a manufacturer that complies with industry standards from NIOSH or OSHA. The N-95 and KN-95 masks that are used for covid protection would be also be good for wood dust. But they would need to be replaced on a regular basis. When not used, all masks and respirators should be stored in a zip lock bag.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Pat Foster (Sat May 14, 2022 12:16 pm)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Thanks right back at you, Brad. You've been a huge help to me on my UV cure finishing journey, which is just getting started.

For the sake of those thinking about this type of investment, my 3M PAPR is the older GVP model, which uses the same helmets (I like my used M-407 with the cowl) and hoses, but has a bulkier setup on the waist belt than the newer stuff. 3M still supports it with filters and spare parts, because industry bought a lot of those style PAPRs. I think a person can save some money looking at these GVP model PAPRs, along with great deals on newer models, like what Brad found.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Pat Foster (Sat May 14, 2022 12:17 pm)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Barry Daniels wrote:
In my old day job I use to manage our respiratory protection program for hazardous waste workers. I would be suspicious of woodworker centric respirators. I have seen some of these with completely useless filtration material. I definitely recommend sticking with a manufacturer that complies with industry standards from NIOSH or OSHA

This is great advice - the system I’m using is 3x the price of hobbyist units sold in woodcraft or similar woodworker’s stores. It’s designed for and used in industrial painting applications, mining, asbestos removal, biohazard lab environments etc. Of course, you need to buy the appropriate filter cartridges for your application. There’s a well-priced combo filter available for my unit that handles both wood particulate and organic vapour to an appropriate level to safely spray the ‘safer’ finishes like nitro. Other filters are available for the more toxic finish coatings, working in chlorine and gaseous acid environments etc if that’s your thing :D

At some point I realised I needed to stop ogling the “fun stuff” like the latest bandsaws and boutique handtools and put some of that money towards protecting my own health.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Pat Foster (Sat May 14, 2022 12:17 pm)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:23 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
3M, North, and MSA are the leaders in the industry.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Pat Foster (Sat May 14, 2022 12:17 pm)