Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Focus: Build
Folks—

Some of you may recall an outfit called Old world Tonewood located in Lewisburg, West Virginia, that closed up shop a few years ago. Well, a couple of guys have taken over the business and have renamed it Appalachian Tonewood. You can easily Google and find their website for more information about the company.

I’m involved with my local woodworking club here in Charleston, West Virginia, which is 2 hours west of Lewisburg. Our club is planning a field trip to visit Appalachian Tonewood in response to their gracious invitation. We will be touring their sawmill in the morning, breaking for lunch at a great pizza parlor in downtown Lewisburg, then touring their workshop after lunch. Best of all, we will have a chance to pick through their inventory and buy some wood during the visit.

I wanted to extend an invitation to those of you within driving distance to join us for the tour. The Appalachian Tonewood guys have been focusing on wholesale business while getting started (they sell to Gibson, StewMac, Huss & Dalton, and others), but they soon want to expand into retail sales to individual builders (i.e., us). I am sure my fellow West Virginia woodworkers would enjoy the company, and the Appalachian Tonewood guys will appreciate the introduction to prospective customers. So, a win all around if you want to join us.

The tentative date is Saturday, April 30. Let me know if you are interested, and I will make sure to include you in the particulars.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Colin North (Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:10 am)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:27 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Howard
Last Name: Wilson
State: Virginia
I had a chance to tour their shop last fall. They had some really nice wood to pick through--wish I had more time and money! Luke and Travis are great guys and I look forward to my next visit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:35 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Don, can I go with you? Please! :D

PM me the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

You bet, Brad! I just sent you a PM.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: bcombs510 (Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:00 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:53 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

It will be great to meet you all! Our vintage shop, Patina, is a short walk from Lee street studios on Washington st. Eric and Luke are great. If any of you have family who may not be interested in tonewood and want to tag along there are many great attractions in the area. Great restaurants and shopping in walking distance, 4 miles to the Greenbrier river trail, 15 miles to White sulphur springs with more restaurants and shops and the Greenbrier ($$$). Want to make it a Weekend? I recommend the General Lewis Inn within walking distance of downtown. A few miles out are the usual selection of chain hotels and restaurants
Don’t know if I will be able to do the afternoon but the morning and lunch for sure.

These users thanked the author Chris Ide for the post: bcombs510 (Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:10 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

It will be great to meet you in person, Chris! PM me when you get a chance and I can send you an e-mail with the details of the Valley Woodworkers' visit to Appalachian Tonewood, so that we can coordinate. Looking forward to it.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, Lewisburg really is a great little town, and punches above its weight regarding fun things to do and see, as Chris outlines.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tom
Last Name: Armstrong
City: Portsmouth
State: Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 23701
I’d be there but I’ll be out of the country on the 30th. Not that it means much, General Lewis was my grandfather from 8 generations back. He has a unique history and his statue (still) resides in Richmond. Lewisburg is a neat little town to visit.
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Its great that you can trace your ancestry back to the Revolutionary War, Tom! I have no such luck. Sorry you can't join us for the tour.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'm bumping this thread to remind folks of this opportunity, and to give a bit more detail, in case it affects your desire to join us.

While we had originally talked about touring Appalachian Tonewoods' sawmill operation and also their shop, we have re-thought that idea, and we now think it would be better to just focus on a shop tour and opportunity to buy wood. The sawmill is 20 minutes away from the shop, so doing both was going to add a lot of travel time into the day. The folks at Valley Woodworkers of West Virginia (the group organizing this tour) just today toured a huge sawmill operation, so they don't need to see a much smaller one, which this is.

So, new plan:

The Valley Woodworkers (and anyone joining us from the west) will meet in Charleston, WV on the morning of Saturday, April 30, and be ready to leave no later than 8 am. Assuming we leave on time, we will arrive in Lewisburg, WV at 10 am. Those traveling from the east, please plan to meet us in Lewisburg at that time. We will tour the shop, buy wood, get lunch, then disband and head back home.

Please contact me if you are interested in joining us. I think we have a running total of four OLFers planning to participate.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:50 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Don,

Just wanted to say thanks again for todays trip to Appalachian Tonewood! I made it back to Cincinnati with my loot. :)

For others - today was their first day in a new shop and my purchased brace wood is forever immortalized as the first cut in the new shop.

Plus I got this rad curly walnut.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Chris Ide wrote:
It will be great to meet you all!

Was great to meet you, Chris!

Brad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:13 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
That is some juicy walnut!

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: bcombs510 (Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:44 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Glad you made it back safely, Brad. It was great having you visit. I think the field trip to Appalachian Tonewood went very well, despite the rain.

For everyone: you would be doing yourself a big favor by contacting Luke and Travis at Appalachian Tonewood. They have some tasty red spruce tops at attractive prices, and back/sides sets in maple and walnut, also with great prices. They have a number of other offerings, and they are just cool guys to deal with.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 2): bcombs510 (Sun May 01, 2022 6:06 am) • meddlingfool (Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:07 pm)