Post subject: Thumbevels
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I ran across this over on the AGF. Has anyone here seen something like this on a guitar? Seems like it could be a good idea for some players. I play a few songs that involve fretting with my thumb, and it looks like this could make that easier. I would be fun to try it out and see if there are any downsides to it.

This guitar is a custom build and the bevels are named Schmidt Thumbevels after Roger Schmidt who came up with the idea (the guitar was built for him).

Attachment:
Thumb bevels.jpg

Here's a video of him demonstrating the guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzY38k1UPDY

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: joshnothing (Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:48 am)

Post subject: Re: Thumbevels
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:45 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Focus: Build
Never seen it. I’m normally very much on the traditional side of things when it comes to guitar “innovations” but I’m intrigued by this. I use my thumb a lot when I play and due to having small hands I need to go for narrow nut widths to facilitate this - even when it makes some other things feel a little cramped. I’d like to try a fretboard like this out and see how it plays.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:26 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Not a good time to have to visit an ER this winter because you didn't humidify your guitar and the frets "sprouted..." and you nearly sliced your thumb off trying as you might to do your horrible rendition of Stairway with a thumb over.

My North Star and the lens I view stuff through these days is how servicable is it. This adds significant complexity to the building of the instrument. And if the fretboard shrinks at all you have a PoPeal Slicer and Dicer happy to hack up your thumb.

We have an isle in our shop lined with guitars in bags that were left to dry out and they all have fret sprout too now so this is a common occurrence.

Lastly I'm a thumb over player big time and not having these bevels never stopped me from playing just as badly as I always do :)

But hey if folks want the bleeding edge I'll be happy to come up with a price to service these when they come in. And not trying to be negative here but I'm in the real world of what could happen Lutherie wise every day and complexity is not a good thing when something goes south on a weekend and you have a gig.

Look too at the nut, now what is the tech who had two weeks on the job at the big box guitar store going to do with that thing...

Related: Scalloped fretboards, another idea that folks will regret.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Don't think I could get my thumb over at the 12th.....

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Hesh (Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:53 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
That looks interesting. I too am a thumb over player. One concern I would have is that you could not slide your thumb from one fret to another. My daily player is a guitar I built decades ago and I beveled both edges of the fingerboard in at about a 15 degree angle to facilitate playing. That allows me to play with my thumb up to the 9th fret pretty easily.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: joshnothing (Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:12 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:45 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Ball
I'm a thumb over player too. My main player is an L-00 sized guitar with a Van Eps style scalloped flush fret fingerboard. I had an original L-00 that had been converted by Fred Van Eps to use the kind of fingerboards that his banjos used. I sold it to my wife's cousin who is a much better player than I am, but ended up missing it so I built one for myself.

The scallops create the same general effect that these thumbevels do, but the flush frets make sliding over the fingerboard very smooth, even with the thumb. I suppose I could bevel the scallops a little more if I wanted to, but it really works fine like it is. And it does make it a lot easier to put my thumb over the top of the neck.

Dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Another thumb over player both for chords and catching some bass notes. I also bevel my fretboards slightly, but only a few degrees, and then ease the edge with maybe a 1/32" radius but I do that on both sides. I would think such a drastic thumb bevel would not be helpful for me but I would like to try it before I say no too strongly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ain't that some Schmidt!
If the bevel is kept in the middle of the fret space it might make fretting with the thumb easier and not be too detrimental to future refrets and fingerboard maintenance. I would be inclined to only bevel the frets commonly used for cowboy chords that would allow there to be enough undeveloped real estate either side of the frets. For those that do thumb overs it might have some merit. It does add "one more thing" to the construction process, but isn't that what custom guitars are all about?
The scalloped fretboard Hesh mentioned has thumbevels built in. Scalloped fretboards, like fan frets, and adjustable bolt-on necks have been around for centuries and have found favor with a minority of players who find them beneficial.
I have built a few guitar necks with a slight amount of "tumblehome" but the thumbevel is certainly a new idea. It looks like it could be added to a normal fretboard by a competent wood bodger.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
This takes the rolled fingerboard to an extreme. If someone wanted it, I might do it - but I'm not gonna play anything like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:43 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Lawrence
Zip/Postal Code: 66047
I thought Chet Atkins modified his guitar like this when he was younger.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:25 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: Orr
Look too at the nut, now what is the tech who had two weeks on the job at the big box guitar store going to do with that thing...

Seen a few like that on Facebook and other forums. Don't see the point of it at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Bob Orr wrote:

Seen a few like that on Facebook and other forums. Don't see the point of it at all.

PRS has done scalloped nuts like that on some of their electric guitars. I used to have a 513 with a nut like that. The rationale I've seen floated for scalloping the nut is that removing the material between the strings with the scallops supposedly directs the vibrations of the strings downward to the neck for "better" tone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:59 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
J De Rocher wrote:
The rationale I've seen floated for scalloping the nut is that removing the material between the strings with the scallops supposedly directs the vibrations of the strings downward to the neck for "better" tone.

But that only works during a full moon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Barry Daniels wrote:
J De Rocher wrote:
The rationale I've seen floated for scalloping the nut is that removing the material between the strings with the scallops supposedly directs the vibrations of the strings downward to the neck for "better" tone.

But that only works during a full moon.

And only if your guitar is tuned to A432.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
I totally missed the scalloped nut. I've seen a number of them, and was asked to make a couple once back in the 80's. One of them was a brass nut, and polished up it looked pretty spiff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Ball
I have scalloped the nuts on my banjos for years. Not for any reason but aesthetics. I had seen them on some 19th century banjos and liked them. No different from setting up a normal nut--I'd typically scallop after setup, but it really makes no difference. It's material that is immaterial to the setup of the instrument anyway. Do like the look though...

Dave