It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ok cool thanks.

Hesh, are you saying that you glue the tape in from rim to rim and then glue the linings right over and across the tape? It's been a while since I did this but I think I used to cut them flush to the lining with a razor knife.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:37 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I put mine in rim to rim and glue the linings on top, works fine.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post (total 2): Robbie_McD (Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:56 am) • Hesh (Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:42 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:41 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
jfmckenna wrote:
Ok cool thanks.

Hesh, are you saying that you glue the tape in from rim to rim and then glue the linings right over and across the tape? It's been a while since I did this but I think I used to cut them flush to the lining with a razor knife.

Exactly edge of the rim to edge of the rim and then I would trim with a single edge razor blade when the glue was cured. Then my reverse kerf linings went right over the tapes. Made for a well connected and integrated structure and worked great. This way the tapes still offered protection from a running crack at the intersection of the kerfed linings and the tapes which is what Woodie is describing with side supports and how to integrate them to prevent stress risers. I found this to be easier than side supports and less potentially ineffective.

Writes worked very well and has serves me well for a long time but I have always wondered where Martin gets their tapes.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: jfmckenna (Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:54 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I use the narrow bias selvage tape, and iron it out flat by wetting it and drawing it across my bending iron on a low setting. I use hot hide glue, and finish the tapes, using several coats of shellac to protect the glue from air. I've seen a lot of old bowl back mandos lined with paper where the paper was flapping loose due to breakdown of the glue.

When I used Titebond I found that I had to dampen the tapes with water and work the glue in with my fingers to get them to go down well. It was messy and time consuming, although with all the washing up it's a good way to get your hands clean. With HHG I paint a line of glue on the side where I want the tape to go, lay the tape down on it, and paint some more glue over it to work it through. Then I use a paper towel to blot up the excess glue. It's fairly quick and clean. I put on the tapes after gluing the sides to the blocks and rough profiling them, and then put on the liners in sections, also using HHG. If anything, the liners stick a little better to the tapes than they do to the sides. Once the liners are in place I shellac the tapes, and do the final profile.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post (total 4): Kbore (Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:49 am) • Robbie_McD (Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:24 am) • Pmaj7 (Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:50 pm) • joshnothing (Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:23 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:20 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: John
Well having the fabric placed rim edge to rim edge under the linings will have to wait until next time because the kerfing is already on the current build, but I learned something for next time. Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge & experience.

These users thanked the author Slim for the post: Hesh (Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:22 am)