First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
meddlingfool wrote:
Didn't you get a receipt, lol?

Yes...yes I did. gaah I apparently have to carry it with me everywhere I go until I can find the time post-holidays to jump on the Peloton and vigorously ride a few thousand miles in search of an open Returns and Exchanges desk.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:06 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Skarsaune wrote:
Wow, thanks for the flashback. I had a Schaefer lined denim
Jacket a million moons ago. Glad to see they are still at it and Made in usa.

Got a birthday coming up, bookmarked their site to pass to my wife.

You are very welcome - and early happy birthday wishes to you.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
I got this as an early Xmas present to myself, a shiny new Quangsheng No. 8 Bedrock Pattern Plane and a spare blade/cap iron.
Attachment:
No 8.jpg

Also bought a vacuum pump with everything I need for laminating sides.
Attachment:
Vacuum system.png

And a CNC'd tight light cylindrical radius dish for some experimenting with compression back bracing.
Attachment:
compression bracing taran guitars.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Hesh (Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:57 am)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:27 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Gregor
Last Name: Crothers
State: Ontario
Hesh wrote:
gregorio wrote:
although its hard to see, there is a new guitar shop in there! : )

Attachment:
IMG_20211211_144038.jpg

A few more months and I can start building & setting up a new shop room (again).

I can relate I once bought a basement Lutherie shop that happened to have a new house on tops of it. :)

FUNNY!!

@ Colin - That bracing is very interesting. What is it made from? Is it an idea you applied to your own build or did it exist prior? Certainly looks neat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Here is a late report on this gift, because I wanted to set it up in the right spot so that I would be more likely to use it, and I only now had time:

Attachment:
Festool sander and dust extractor.jpg

It's the Festool Rotex 90 sander and the Festool CT SYS dust extractor, with my old Festool ETS 125 EQ sander on top of the extractor, acting as a "lady in waiting." I figure that, if the sander and the extractor are hanging there, ready to be fired up within 10 seconds of needing to sand something, I will use it more. We'll see how that works out. It's a dandy sander, and the dust extractor is awesome!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 2): Durero (Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:56 am) • Hesh (Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:36 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:37 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
doncaparker wrote:
Here is a late report on this gift, because I wanted to set it up in the right spot so that I would be more likely to use it, and I only now had time:

Attachment:
Festool sander and dust extractor.jpg

It's the Festool Rotex 90 sander and the Festool CT SYS dust extractor, with my old Festool ETS 125 EQ sander on top of the extractor, acting as a "lady in waiting." I figure that, if the sander and the extractor are hanging there, ready to be fired up within 10 seconds of needing to sand something, I will use it more. We'll see how that works out. It's a dandy sander, and the dust extractor is awesome!

Don I love how you set this up in your shop out of the way with the fixture, very clever and I want one too for my home shop with limited floor space for the vac.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Glad you find the idea useful, Hesh! A few details might help with implementation:

1. The CT SYS is the smallest dust extractor Festool makes. It comes with the nice, fabric exterior hose, and it has the outlet that turns on the extractor when you power up the sander. The one feature it doesn’t have is variable suction. So, I bought the plastic doodad you see sticking out. It comes from Home Depot, and it has a bleeder valve under that red piece. Rotate the red piece, and it opens up a hole to bleed off some suction. It fits perfectly between the extractor and the hose.

2. Most Systainers (including the CT SYS, which is cleverly built into a Systainer) have mounting brackets built in. You have to figure out the best way to use them. For me, 12mm Baltic Birch scraps, doubled up, worked great as hold-downs.

3. The hose clips are available on Etsy. People 3D print them, I think.

4. The wooden hangers for the hose and sander are just plywood, screwed to the backer board via Kreg pocket hole joinery.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Hesh (Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:58 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Thanks to the recent thread, the Rotex 90 bubbled up to the top again. I have looked at it off and on for quite a while because I wanted a smaller diameter ROS for certain tasks and I thought the triangle detail sander would be useful too. I hesitated because it's so darn expensive but my Festool 125 and vacuum work so well I decided what the heck and gave myself one for Christmas. Turns out it is an very nice sander and does everything I hoped it would do. The triangular detail pad works very well too. Only disadvantage I can see is some of the sanding discs that I like to use don't come in the 3 1/2" size, fortunately the Festool paper that I got works great so that shouldn't be a problem. Mine sits on my downdraft table with the 125 so it's always ready to go. Guess it's time to sell my Mirka 5" ROS, it's a really good sander too but I just always pick up the Festools now. No photos because my downdraft table top looks like a pigpen, maybe after I spend a day cleaning and reorganizing laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Steve--

If you want more grits than what Festool offers, you might want to look at Klingspor. Their search engine leaves a lot to be desired, so you really have to be tenacious about it. A person could look on their website (looking hard) and still not find many of the abrasives they offer. Here are SKU numbers for two choices, and from there, you should be able to find the rest of the grits you might be interested in:

220 grit round: VD92316
220 grit triangle: RT31011

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Thanks Don!