It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: LMI yelllow glue source
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:40 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Does anyone know where LMI sourced their LMI yellow glue?
I think it was some sort of PVA glue.
I sure would like to find the original source or it's equivalent.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 11:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Focus: Build
Bill Higgs wrote:
Does anyone know where LMI sourced their LMI yellow glue?
I think it was some sort of PVA glue.
I sure would like to find the original source or it's equivalent.

I think there's no knowing that any source offers the same glue as LMI with another label. Private labels may have contents unique to that label. What's wrong with Titebond/Titebond Extend?

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post: Hesh (Mon May 06, 2024 4:25 am)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:31 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: CHARLES
Last Name: HENNET
State: PA
I did not use that glue, but has anyone reached out to the LMI folks to ask? They don't really have any reason to keep the source a secret. I would say try reaching out and asking.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:58 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I was never a fan of the LMI glue and stopped using it after the first couple of guitars.

It represented a single point of failure in my supply chain and I can't have that. And through the years there were issues reported here on the OLF with users who may have had it freeze in shipping to the climates that they lived in. Can't have that either we have a thing called winter, or we used to have a thing called winter here in Michigan...

Titebond Original on the other hand pretty much did all the same things, was available everywhere, has date codes that can be read and I never heard of any issues from Freezing.

If you are in the "but it can cold creep" camp don't use it for the bridge, that's the only thing that may.... may cold creep on a guitar but not without a little help from abuse of the instrument in terms of temps and such.

My Heshtones were built with HHG, Titebond Original, at times West Systems epoxy for the fret board which I stopped doing after maybe ten were done with it and some CA in a very limited use applications for side dots and one little drop, only one little drop for my nut. Worked great for me and nearly 20 years later no issues.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: CraigG (Mon May 06, 2024 3:30 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike/Mikey/Michael/hey you!
Last Name: Collins
City: Argyle
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12809
Elmers Carpenters glue is the best!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:43 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
davidson wrote:
I did not use that glue, but has anyone reached out to the LMI folks to ask? They don't really have any reason to keep the source a secret. I would say try reaching out and asking.

Good luck with that. LMI is out of business.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Arnold
City: Newport
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37821
Focus: Repair
I used Elmer's Carpenters glue for many years. But several years ago, I noticed that something had changed in the formulation that resulted in a thicker consistency. At that point, I switched to Titebond original. I have some of the last LMI yellow, but it gets little use.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
I recall some years ago where some of the OLF members had problems with the LMI glue. I liked it myself. My new favorite might be Lee Valley's 2002 cabinetmakers' glue. Long open time and dries very hard. Haven't switched over yet; still testing.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon May 06, 2024 11:57 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I did some glob tests and IIRC the OG TB dried harder than the 2002…

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:54 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: CHARLES
Last Name: HENNET
State: PA
Chris Herrod now works for StewMac and is on LinkedIn. Everyone from LMI didn't die, they just moved on.

phavriluk wrote:
davidson wrote:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:33 pm 

davidson wrote:
Chris Herrod now works for StewMac and is on LinkedIn. Everyone from LMI didn't die, they just moved on.

phavriluk wrote:
davidson wrote:

The glue may be dead though it was my impression that it was not just a private label it was a special formulation and not someone else's rebranded glue that could be had if we knew who made it.

So if my hunch is correct that means that someone else now has to obtain the rights to the formula, find a source to make it and contract with them, go into the glue selling and handling business which I seriously doubt that the demand for this glue would support and then distribute same with all the shipping and such for a perishable product.

LMI sold it because it complimented their line of business but I bet that over time the glue just was not a big seller. I can't think of a single professional Luthier who uses it and that does not mean that no one did of course I just don't know anyone.

You could contact StewMac if You want to pursue this and ask for Brock (VP) and ask them if they have any plans to resurrect the glue and offer it under StewMac label.

There have been a number of products that disappeared to never be available again that some of us appreciated. For me it was the brown binding tape from StewMac. Don't tell anyone I still have two rolls ;)

Good luck and if you learn anything please let us know?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
I still use the LMI yellow glue for gluing head and tail blocks and sometimes linings to the rim. When I run out, I’ll probably go to Titebond Extend. I used to use the LMI glue to join heel blocks to the neck plank and to glue the scarf joint at the peghead, but I finally developed processes for doing those joints with HHG. Sometimes I do the linings with HHG, sometimes with the LMI glue depending on my whim of the day. I had the belief (unsupported by any but minimal testing) that the LMI glue wouldn’t creep as much as the Titebond. Over the years (I made my first instrument in 1992), I have seen the Titebond creep, particularly on fingerboard to neck joints and the heel block to neck plank joint—I can feel the edge of the joint through the finish. I don’t like that, so I don’t use Titebond there. I think I remember from looking at the SDS sheets for LMI and the Titebond Extend that there might have been some starch in addition to the aliphatic resin or PVA in the formulation. I haven’t been willing to do the experimentation to figure how to add the starch myself. I’ll just buy the Extend when I run out of the LMI glue.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have been using Tightbond Extend for a long time after seeing a post by Howard Klepper that it dried harder than Original. Can’t definitely verify that but spread some on packing tape to dry and it seemed more brittle.

I use it for linings, fretboard/neck, headstock veneer, end graft, and closing the box. Hide for plate joining, braces, and bridge.

I have gone to epoxy for the head and tail blocks as there is a curve and the possibility of small gaps. No downside there I can think of.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 6:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
meddlingfool wrote:
I did some glob tests and IIRC the OG TB dried harder than the 2002…

Hadn't found that - yet.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Mark
City: Concord
State: NC
I don't remember the source but I remember an old discussion that it was relabeled Wilsonart PVA. https://www.wilsonart.com/adhesives/pva ... sive-wa-30

Last edited by Mark Fogleman on Mon May 13, 2024 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Mark
City: Concord
State: NC
I don't remember the source but I remember an old discussion that it was relabeled Wilsonart PVA. https://www.wilsonart.com/adhesives/pva/wilsonart-30-pva-yellow-woodworking-adhesive-wa-30

These users thanked the author Mark Fogleman for the post: bcombs510 (Mon May 13, 2024 10:55 am)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

We have been using Titebond Translucent 6123 for many years for my branded instruments and for our Cirrus line of guitars. It is colorless when dry and has never been known to fail on any of the joints that we have used it for. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZ3GBB4?ps ... ct_details

These users thanked the author Mike Franks for the post: bcombs510 (Mon May 13, 2024 4:50 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Mike Franks wrote:
We have been using Titebond Translucent 6123 for many years for my branded instruments and for our Cirrus line of guitars. It is colorless when dry and has never been known to fail on any of the joints that we have used it for. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZ3GBB4?ps ... ct_details

I’m glad to see an endorsement for this glue. I’ve been using this for non critical joints, jigs, and for putting the label in the box. I’d like to use it for lining and blocks as well. I’ll still use HHG for braces and bridges.

Where all do you use it?

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:39 pm 

Hey Mike hope you are doing great. It says "good heat resistance" in the description is it reversible with heat and if so at what temps do you know?

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: bcombs510 (Mon May 13, 2024 7:41 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I've been using the Titebond translucent glue too for years. I switched to it after I was unhappy with the first bottle of LMI yellow glue I got after they switched to that from their previous white glue. I use it for everything other than inlays and side purflings (which I install separate from the binding using CA glue). It works great. No problems with it at all.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: bcombs510 (Mon May 13, 2024 7:41 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 4:45 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
Interesting glue talk :lol: it never ends.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!