Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 56  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
Ken Nagy wrote:
I have a couple of neck sets looming. I've done a dozen of the violin sort. Easy. The Cello should be the same but different. It is a bit off the norm; par for me; because I built the ribs tapered so the back is smaller, and more comfortable. Like a rib bevel for your legs! I have to add about 3.5 degrees to the angle from the top.

I only have all the wood for an arch top. I'm thinking 7 string 680 scale. A-D or B to E or whatever. Just a low string. 12 fret, low bridge. Outline is a Stauffer regular on the bass, and a Stauffer Terz on the treble. Wasn't happy with any f holes, so I'll do something to mimic the Terz side. With pearl?

I really do like working on the cello. It is just as easy as a violin, or an arch top. but BIGGER. I like the bigger scale. Wood is more expensive, and the strings? Guitar people have it made. Violin strings I can get wholesale for $50-80. Decent Cello D'addario Helicores are $110, good synthetics are $180-260, and real Guts are about 180! I don't really like the sound of metal strings. I do have Helicores on my 5 string, and they sound good, but WAY different. Good sound for a 5 string I guess. Probably easy to amp up?

Attachment:
IMG_0925.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0927.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0926.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0924.jpg

Beautiful Work , I have people asking if I repair violins , I turn them away

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:32 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Mark
City: Seattle
State: WA
Hesh wrote:
jfmckenna wrote:
I admit that I fell for the advertising but I've always wanted a Klon clone so here I go. This is the Stew Mac Klon clone they call the Ghost Drive. Will make a nice weekend project.

JF please let me know how you like it tone wise when completed I saw those too and want one?

Me too! What’s the verdict?
Stew Mac says they have very few left….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author pullshocks for the post: Hesh (Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:57 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:29 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have not built it up yet. Been too busy. But I have started on the design of the enclosure. Going on vacation next week so I probably wont get to it for a while but I will let you know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:00 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Roger
Last Name: Häggström
City: Örnsköldsvik
Zip/Postal Code: 89136
Focus: Repair
I just finished the restoration of an interesting 9 string lute shaped guitar, locally made in Sweden by Gottfrid Söderman in 1920. A crude but working arrangement of the extra cut down mandolin tuner on top :-)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.gammelgura.se

These users thanked the author RogerHaggstrom for the post (total 3): Robbie_McD (Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:30 am) • Hesh (Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:51 pm) • Michaeldc (Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:07 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Interesting tuning machine configuration.

You didn't string this, did you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:51 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Roger
Last Name: Häggström
City: Örnsköldsvik
Zip/Postal Code: 89136
I did put the strings on, and it's playing just fine, but the tuner configuration is original from 1920.

http://www.gammelgura.se

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Dry run for headstock repair.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Hesh (Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:51 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

These users thanked the author Brad Goodman for the post: Hesh (Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:51 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Colin North wrote:
Dry run for headstock repair.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

That looks plenty clampy! Let us know how it goes.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:52 pm) • Colin North (Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:11 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:27 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh

I gotta stop advertising fixed price restrings …

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Chris Pile (Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:17 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
joshnothing wrote:

oops_sign laughing6-hehe

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: joshnothing (Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:19 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:14 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
joshnothing wrote:

At least it's not a piano!

These users thanked the author mountain whimsy for the post: joshnothing (Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:19 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
I restrung a Celtic Harp once..... ONCE!

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: joshnothing (Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:19 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Someone in my wife's family gave us a hammer dulcimer once with broken and missing strings all over it and I was like cool! I'll have to get string this up some day. That was 15 years ago :D

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: joshnothing (Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:19 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
jfmckenna wrote:
Someone in my wife's family gave us a hammer dulcimer once with broken and missing strings all over it and I was like cool! I'll have to get string this up some day. That was 15 years ago :D

Got a Couple of those myself , never gonna get done laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: jfmckenna (Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:58 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
State: NY/Granada
slowly working on this batch of guitars for various clients and dealers

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

These users thanked the author oval soundhole for the post (total 3): Hesh (Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:41 am) • joshnothing (Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:49 pm) • Chris Pile (Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:03 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
I planned to bind and glue a fretboard this weekend.
Look’s like I’ll be having a kung-fu movie marathon instead.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author dzsmith for the post: Hesh (Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:41 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:13 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Do you guys spend a day every month or two, cleaning off the benches so you can work? I do. That's what I did yesterday. Then I found the stack of plans that don't fit anywhere. I found that they WILL fit on the door! I had to cut some lengthwise to fit. Some violin/cello posters are too big, so I still need something for them.

Attachment:
IMG_0934.jpg

I should be able to trim all the plans to fit under my glass top bench. Glass donated from a 55 gallon tank that sprang a leak while we were on vacation! Anything 22" X 48" or less will fit. I like that bench mostly for glueing and varnishing. The mess scrapes right off. Having the plans safe under glass right where you need them is nice.

Attachment:
IMG_0935.jpg

If you keep projects on the bench, will it collect less stuff, or do you have to actually have to make yourself PUT THINGS AWAY when you are done with them? I'm guessing that you have to change your evil ways. Violin stuff can go in a box, but cello and most guitar stuff is too big for my boxes.

Attachment:
IMG_0936.jpg

I haven't done much lately. Doing outside work because the spring was so cold, gloomy, and wet. Lately, it's been like spring SHOULD be, rainy, but only in the 60's to the low 70's. The basement is only 62. It's not a whole lot warmer upstairs, but the humidity is 66, and not 45.

I'd like it warmer. But not 107. We don't have air. We rarely need it.

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post (total 2): Michaeldc (Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:04 pm) • Hesh (Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:16 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
I'm building between repairs, or doing repairs between building sessions. I'm hoarding my new guitars for a local show in October at a concert venue near my home. The venue specializes in Roots, Americana, Blues, Country, Singer-songwriter stuff, so it "pairs well" with my acoustic guitars. This is my pile so far, hope to have one or two more, if Jesus doesn't come back first.

These users thanked the author David Newton for the post (total 2): Chris Pile (Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:35 am) • Hesh (Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:16 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:48 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hesh wrote:
jfmckenna wrote:
I admit that I fell for the advertising but I've always wanted a Klon clone so here I go. This is the Stew Mac Klon clone they call the Ghost Drive. Will make a nice weekend project.

JF please let me know how you like it tone wise when completed I saw those too and want one?

Finally got it finished. I needed some stemac tech support because I'm bad at maths :) I mixed up a 390 and a 3.9 Ohm resistor but otherwise that was the only mistake. The result of that mistake was that the pedal had low volume.

Made the fix last night and it's running perfectly. The build is fairly simple and the instructions are good. I took the time to put all the parts in a marked parts box for easy assembly and would recommend anyone do that.

As for the review? The pedal sounds quite stellar actually. I have built a few DIY pedal kits now and have done mods on some Boss pedals and I can say that so far this one is by far the best one I have come across. I do not have a Klon, nor have I ever played one but I have gone through many OD pedals and this kit is just as good as any boutique OD I have played.

Here I am A/b ing with my 80's TS-9 and a Wampler Plexi Drive. The Klon is just as good and has it's own tone. I have only tested it with a P-90 'Tele' into my '72 Twin but I imagine it will work quite well into a low watt amp and humbuckers as well.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:52 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:53 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
jfmckenna wrote:
Hesh wrote:
jfmckenna wrote:

Finally got it finished. I needed some stemac tech support because I'm bad at maths :) I mixed up a 390 and a 3.9 Ohm resistor but otherwise that was the only mistake. The result of that mistake was that the pedal had low volume.

Made the fix last night and it's running perfectly. The build is fairly simple and the instructions are good. I took the time to put all the parts in a marked parts box for easy assembly and would recommend anyone do that.

As for the review? The pedal sounds quite stellar actually. I have built a few DIY pedal kits now and have done mods on some Boss pedals and I can say that so far this one is by far the best one I have come across. I do not have a Klon, nor have I ever played one but I have gone through many OD pedals and this kit is just as good as any boutique OD I have played.

Here I am A/b ing with my 80's TS-9 and a Wampler Plexi Drive. The Klon is just as good and has it's own tone. I have only tested it with a P-90 'Tele' into my '72 Twin but I imagine it will work quite well into a low watt amp and humbuckers as well.

Cool great review. When you did StewMac tech support did you by chance speak with Tommy Stump? If so he's great and very helpful.

I think I am going to build one too, thanks JF for the review and info.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: jfmckenna (Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:37 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hesh wrote:

Cool great review. When you did StewMac tech support did you by chance speak with Tommy Stump? If so he's great and very helpful.

This was via email and his name was Andrew. Andrew was relaying messages to Tech support so I think he was a customer service guy. Still very happy to work with him as he was very prompt. I sent a few images in of the finished circuit board and they drew lines and arrows on it showing the misplacement.

I think you will be quite happy with it. I was reading a bit about the originals and apparently the design was to help loud powerful amps have that club level tube break up. My Fender Twin is 100% clean from volume 1-10. When I was playing it last night in my head I was reminded of old Muddy Waters blues tunes with that beautiful small, probably a Champ, tube amp sound but coming through a 100 watt Twin.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:37 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:38 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
jfmckenna wrote:
Hesh wrote:

This was via email and his name was Andrew. Andrew was relaying messages to Tech support so I think he was a customer service guy. Still very happy to work with him as he was very prompt. I sent a few images in of the finished circuit board and they drew lines and arrows on it showing the misplacement.

I think you will be quite happy with it. I was reading a bit about the originals and apparently the design was to help loud powerful amps have that club level tube break up. My Fender Twin is 100% clean from volume 1-10. When I was playing it last night in my head I was reminded of old Muddy Waters blues tunes with that beautiful small, probably a Champ, tube amp sound but coming through a 100 watt Twin.

That's a great function for this pedal and very useful too. Twins are so clean you are right. Going to order one, thanks JF!!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: jfmckenna (Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:19 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:26 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
I don't post many pics but
OM 45 Pearl project for a guy . Got all but the back pearl ( solid of course )
3 fret jobs one on a 66 D 12 20
4 in the finish booth
2 neck resets
and an 1860 0-26 restore

now wonder I am pooped

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:20 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

bluescreek wrote:
I don't post many pics but
OM 45 Pearl project for a guy . Got all but the back pearl ( solid of course )
3 fret jobs one on a 66 D 12 20
4 in the finish booth
2 neck resets
and an 1860 0-26 restore

now wonder I am pooped

Oh come on now John lets see those pics :)

I am just about to get started on three OM-45's and a big thank you for the proper rosettes and purfling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 56  Next