Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 56  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:17 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leo
Last Name: Pedersen
City: Bowen Island
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V0N 1G2
Focus: Build
ballbanjos wrote:
I've spent the week replacing my old CAD computer that was gasping its last gasps. Got Rhino, MadCAM and all my other design software loaded on it, and it is just so fast! Can't believe what a difference 10 years can make!

Working on my 7 string Hawaiian (that's been underway for way too long), I modeled a pyramid bridge and hope to cut it later this week. I also modeled a 12 fret slot head neck and fingerboard for an upcoming project. I really like to do these things by hand, but needed to get my CAD chops back up. I haven't done much with it in 10 years. I've attached a picture of a trial run in pine. The saddle is straight and the top is flat since it's a Hawaiian Guitar. The real thing will be BRW.

The biggest progress I made was learning how to use "Grasshopper," a parametric plugin for Rhino. It provides some of Solid Works' features to Rhino--like being able to use a single model to build a fingerboard of any scale length, width, radius, etc. just by plugging in some numbers. Very cool indeed now that it's starting to make sense. I'm a total novice at it, but I'm impressed so far.

At any rate, it's been a sitting at the computer week in the shop. Sorry to bore with techno crap. I'm a retired IT guy though. Back to making sawdust soon. Need to cut binding channels on the seven string...

Dave

Hi Dave, I realize this post is from months ago but I'm so happy to see a fellow Rhino / Grasshopper / MadCAM user here!

Love the 7-string bridge test-cut. Any more progress photos?

I got into Grasshopper because I was getting tired of constantly importing multi-scale fretboard geometry from the FretFind2D website. So I got a fretboard generator working in Grasshopper about 9 years ago and couldn't stop... now my Grasshopper definition has many thousands of components and generates the whole solid body electric guitar or bass according to my length list of specs.

It also generates the cutting layout for each part and some of the simpler Gcode cuts directly. The rest of the Gcode is generated by madCAM automated by Rhinoscripts.

Amusingly, I've been spending so much time programming and building CNC machines that I've yet to complete a single instrument with this elaborate CNC-based production process. Keeps me out of trouble though! [uncle]

Last winter I actually cut my first part:
It's a tiny brass string roller wheel which fits over two 3mm x 1mm bearings on a 1mm stainless axle. (My index finger for scale.) This is for my adjustable nut design. I don't have a lathe so I tried CNC mill-turning and it worked beautifully after a few months of brain-mashing visualization and Grasshopper coding.

When I went to cut the next parts which are a pair of nested brass brackets which capture the axle and provide adjustability for action and intonation I realized that each part needed to be clamped in 5 different cutting orientations. Trying to do this on a 3-axis mill seemed like a fools errand so I set about adding 5-axis functionality to my tiny CNC mill.

Having rewired the whole system with UCCNC motion control and CNC-Room breakout boards I achieved good calibrated motion on all 5 axes and then thought "Well with this much complexity it's time I built a proper CNC control panel with a manual pulse generator wheel."

My quick & dirty prototype control panel:

Which brings me to today where I am wiring up said control panel.

Fun times! I fear that if I don't actually build a guitar soon I may cross the line into complete insanity but in the meantime my inborn stubbornness is keeping me going...

So if Dave or anyone else wants to chat about Rhino, Grasshopper, CNC etc. please feel free to message me :)
Leo

Last edited by Durero on Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

These users thanked the author Durero for the post (total 2): Michaeldc (Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:02 am) • Hesh (Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:06 am)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Durero wrote:
So if Dave or anyone else wants to chat about Rhino, Grasshopper, CNC etc. please feel free to message me :)

Your pics aren't showing. If possible, scale them to reasonable size and upload directly to the forum rather than linking to google. That way they will remain viewable for as long as the forum exists, rather than disappearing into the void whenever google changes their URL format.

I'd love to see what your 5-axis setup looks like. I'm not sure if I could use such a machine if I had it :) Too poor for CAM software, so I write C++ programs to generate gcode in a slightly more user-friendly way than writing gcode directly. I do want to add a 4th axis, but tying to visualize 5 axis tool paths might be too much [uncle]

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post: Durero (Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:56 am)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:08 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
I ended up declining to work on this guitar but thought I’d post some pics because it had some of the wildest ornamentation I’ve seen.

It came in because the guy who commissioned it was disappointed in the sound and wanted to know if it could be improved. It was ordered as a nylon string guitar but looking inside I saw it was extremely overbraced. Torres style bracing layout but the fan braces were 1/2” tall and 1/4” wide!

Nice carvings though.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 2): Hesh (Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:08 am) • Chris Pile (Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:02 am)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:14 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
joshnothing wrote:
I

It came in because the guy who commissioned it was disappointed in the sound and wanted to know if it could be improved. It was ordered as a nylon string guitar but looking inside I saw it was extremely overbraced. Torres style bracing layout but the fan braces were 1/2” tall and 1/4” wide!

Nice carvings though.

So what happened to "our top notch quality sounding guitars" - bracing like that?

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:25 am 
Koa
Koa

Looking online at other instruments from this maker it sure looks like visual bling is a major (perhaps the major?) design consideration.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Just Finished

Attachment:
IMG_9629.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_9630.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_9631.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post (total 3): dzsmith (Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:36 pm) • Durero (Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:07 pm) • Hesh (Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:06 am)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Nice ductwork Wud. The guitar looks good too :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Holy crap, Josh! Whoever did the ornamentation on that classical overdid themselves. What a showpiece! Too bad it's braced like a battleship.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: joshnothing (Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:28 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:07 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
WudWerkr wrote:
Just Finished

Attachment:
IMG_9629.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_9630.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_9631.JPG

Killer guitar Wud, very well done my friend.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: WudWerkr (Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:38 am)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:10 am 

joshnothing wrote:
I ended up declining to work on this guitar but thought I’d post some pics because it had some of the wildest ornamentation I’ve seen.

Nice carvings though.

These have been around for a while and are imports that are marketed in North America by someone other than the maker. We've turned away two because they were not well constructed and that's why we had them brought to us things went wrong.

They have a loyal following though and some of the owners tend to collect multiples of these. I have a friend who's sister has three of these....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:05 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

DennisK wrote:
Durero wrote:

Your pics aren't showing. If possible, scale them to reasonable size and upload directly to the forum rather than linking to google. That way they will remain viewable for as long as the forum exists, rather than disappearing into the void whenever google changes their URL format.

I'd love to see what your 5-axis setup looks like. I'm not sure if I could use such a machine if I had it :) Too poor for CAM software, so I write C++ programs to generate gcode in a slightly more user-friendly way than writing gcode directly. I do want to add a 4th axis, but tying to visualize 5 axis tool paths might be too much [uncle]

Thanks Dennis, I've shrunk the pictures and they seem to show correctly now.

The 5-axis setup is on my tiny mill. The rotary axes use steppers and 100:1 strain-wave or harmonic-drive gearing with impressively low backlash.

I'll also be generating the G-code myself using the Python component inside of Grasshopper. Fortunately I don't need any fancy 5-axis simultaneous motion, just simple 3-axis cuts but from 5 different sides of the workpiece. Figuring out how to calculate those positions will be an interesting challenge. :?

These users thanked the author Durero for the post: Hesh (Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:21 am)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:09 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

WudWerkr wrote:
Just Finished

Beautiful guitar!

And yeah your shop is equally impressive!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Durero wrote:

The 5-axis setup is on my tiny mill. The rotary axes use steppers and 100:1 strain-wave or harmonic-drive gearing with impressively low backlash.

Still no go for me... just small boxes of failure instead of huge ones:
Attachment:
Image.png

I love strain wave gears. I want to try making itty bitty ones for guitar tuners, but I'm not sure if it's actually possible. With a 0.5mm bit I can mill 24 teeth into a 3/8" steel rod for the flexspline/tuner post, but due to their relatively large size it will need to flex quite a lot between full engagement and moving past ring teeth. Also due to their relatively large size, all that flexing will be concentrated into the 24 short spans of metal between teeth, and probably fatigue it.
Attachment:
StrainWaveTuner.png

I could reduce the height of the teeth so it doesn't have to flex as much, but then the tolerances become even tighter to prevent skipping. Ideal would be to reduce the width of the flexspline teeth to leave wider flexible spans between them, but then the ring teeth need smaller spaces between them and I can't mill that. I could also try going down to 0.3mm end mill, but then tooth face width is limited to 1.5mm (even less after deburring) and that's pretty tiny for guitar string tension even with multiple teeth engaged.
Quote:
I'll also be generating the G-code myself using the Python component inside of Grasshopper. Fortunately I don't need any fancy 5-axis simultaneous motion, just simple 3-axis cuts but from 5 different sides of the workpiece. Figuring out how to calculate those positions will be an interesting challenge. :?

Yeah, that would be much easier just using it to reduce workholding changes. Although figuring out how to hold onto the raw stock in such a way that you can get at 5 sides doesn't sound so easy either... and then how to machine off the portion that was being held.

In my 3-axis programming, I have a variable to rotate the entire coordinate system around the Z axis. Ultimately, all movement is done via functions like G01_XY(x, y, feedrate), which will rotate those coordinates, apply backlash compensation, and then write the G01 command to the output file. So for example I can write a tool path to cut one gear tooth, and then use a loop like for(int tooth = 0; tooth < toothCount; tooth++){ setRotation(tooth*360.0/toothCount); cutTooth(); }

You could probably do something similar for your 5 axis system, where your programs are written in XYZ space, and all the transformations to 5 axis are done "under the hood".

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post (total 2): Durero (Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:48 pm) • Hesh (Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:20 am)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Try using a free photo hosting site like IMGUR....

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Durero (Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:49 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:25 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Dentellones, tentalones, peones, blocks. whatever you like to call them.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:08 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:36 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Chris Pile wrote:
Try using a free photo hosting site like IMGUR....

Thanks Chris. Just switched hosts from Google to postimage.

Hopefully that works.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:19 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

DennisK wrote:
Durero wrote:

Still no go for me... just small boxes of failure instead of huge ones:
Attachment:
Image.png

I love strain wave gears. I want to try making itty bitty ones for guitar tuners, but I'm not sure if it's actually possible. With a 0.5mm bit I can mill 24 teeth into a 3/8" steel rod for the flexspline/tuner post, but due to their relatively large size it will need to flex quite a lot between full engagement and moving past ring teeth. Also due to their relatively large size, all that flexing will be concentrated into the 24 short spans of metal between teeth, and probably fatigue it.
Attachment:
StrainWaveTuner.png

I could reduce the height of the teeth so it doesn't have to flex as much, but then the tolerances become even tighter to prevent skipping. Ideal would be to reduce the width of the flexspline teeth to leave wider flexible spans between them, but then the ring teeth need smaller spaces between them and I can't mill that. I could also try going down to 0.3mm end mill, but then tooth face width is limited to 1.5mm (even less after deburring) and that's pretty tiny for guitar string tension even with multiple teeth engaged.
Quote:

Yeah, that would be much easier just using it to reduce workholding changes. Although figuring out how to hold onto the raw stock in such a way that you can get at 5 sides doesn't sound so easy either... and then how to machine off the portion that was being held.

In my 3-axis programming, I have a variable to rotate the entire coordinate system around the Z axis. Ultimately, all movement is done via functions like G01_XY(x, y, feedrate), which will rotate those coordinates, apply backlash compensation, and then write the G01 command to the output file. So for example I can write a tool path to cut one gear tooth, and then use a loop like for(int tooth = 0; tooth < toothCount; tooth++){ setRotation(tooth*360.0/toothCount); cutTooth(); }

You could probably do something similar for your 5 axis system, where your programs are written in XYZ space, and all the transformations to 5 axis are done "under the hood".

Dennis that would be amazing if you make a strain-wave tuning machine!

I'm also fascinated with them. I thought I had seen something on the internet years ago of Frank Ford making some banjo tuners with the same gearing. Searching just now I could only find a video of him having made a cycloidal geared bass banjo tuner set:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1035108589962772

Edit: found a link to the banjo tuners I was trying to remember. They're cycloidal and you can see the gearing mechanism is just behind the tuning post. Frank Ford helped develop these.
https://rickardbanjos.ca/collections/hardware/products/rickard-10-1-high-ratio-tuners?variant=38057221750966

One thought regarding your design: could you put the mechanism in the tuning knob instead of the tuner shaft? Like a Steinberger gearless tuner? Might give you a significantly larger diameter to work within than the shaft.

Another question for you, what type of mill do you have that you can cut with such tiny cutters? Do you have a high RPM spindle?

Love to see updates on this if you do any tests :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Success at last! Your machine looks great :) Larger than mine at least, which has a work area of 175x150x111mm (wish I would have given it another 50-100mm of Z range). The exceptional feature of mine is that it only weighs 35lbs. I don't have room for stationary tools, so everything has to be light enough that I can move it to and from the bench easily. These photos are from various stages of its development, so you can see some features being added over time :)
Attachment:
Side2.jpg

Attachment:
ModifiedMotor.jpg

Attachment:
Electronics.jpg

Attachment:
Controls.jpg

My spindle is not very fast. About 4500RPM at the moment, though I could change to a 24V power supply to double that. I'm using an old computer supply. Just have to go slow with the tiny bits.

I have seen those cycloidal tuners. That is my favorite reducer mechanism of all :) But despite its reputation, it's not inherently zero-backlash, and I don't have the precision grinding ability to make it so. Plus I think Rickard has been granted a patent on the use of it in guitar tuners (which seems rather ridiculous to me since it's such an old mechanism). Hopefully Harmonic Drive's patents on strain wave gearing don't apply to use in guitar tuners, so I can establish the prior art on that and make it free for everyone to use.

I have made some pretty small cycloidals for another project. I think this disc is aluminum. I first made them in titanium, but due to a machining error in the ring/housing (my mill was out of alignment) they were jamming, so I had to make some with a bit more clearance and save the titanium discs for the next copy of the part with the ring.
Attachment:
TinyDisc.jpg

The best procedure I've come up with for machining gear-like things is to first do all interior holes, then add workholding in the middle, cut a circle around the outside with a big tough bit, and then start working the curvy profile with the small bit. Nibble into the spaces between teeth using vertical motion, taking small enough bites that the center of the bit remains over open space. Then do one rough profile pass, and one finish pass. That way the small bit never takes a heavy side load, and you get excellent chip clearing (I use watered down Anchorlube for coolant, and apply enough that all work with the small bit is done submerged in the pool).
Quote:
One thought regarding your design: could you put the mechanism in the tuning knob instead of the tuner shaft? Like a Steinberger gearless tuner? Might give you a significantly larger diameter to work within than the shaft.

The knob will be axial like Steinberger or the cycloidal tuners, rather than 90 degree like worm gears, but I don't think I can put the mechanism entirely inside the knob. If you turn the ring gear as the input you get speed increase rather than speed reduction.

I'd like to have them interchangeable with standard tuners, with the ring gear being mounted to the back of the headstock, and the toothless portion of the flexspline cup fitting inside a 10mm hole in the headstock, stepping down to a 6mm solid post for the string. I don't think I can fit a housing around the outside of the flexspline cup, so it will be naked in there, with nothing to screw a grommet into. So it will need press fit bushings to support the posts like open gear tuners.

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post (total 2): Durero (Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:38 pm) • Hesh (Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:27 am)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:52 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Wow! Your DIY machine is impressive and inspiring!

I’m amazed that you’re able to cut such tiny parts.
I’m a complete beginner at machining and my spindle is about the same speed as yours so I really appreciate your sharing your cutting strategies.

I’m sure I’ll be breaking some of my small bits but probably fewer by following your style.

I hope you’ll post more of your tuner development. Super interesting stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

My way too patient friend asked if he could pick this up in two weeks after waiting three years. I’m finally on the last haul. The body is ready to buff, but the neck needs a little finish touch up before buffing and fretting. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post (total 4): Michaeldc (Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:03 am) • Hesh (Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:25 am) • Chris Pile (Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:29 pm) • bcombs510 (Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:31 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

Love the crisp, understated aesthetic. Beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:26 am 

James Orr wrote:
My way too patient friend asked if he could pick this up in two weeks after waiting three years. I’m finally on the last haul. The body is ready to buff, but the neck needs a little finish touch up before buffing and fretting. Image

Beautiful James, looks like a great guitar soon to be.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:15 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Here is my first go at an archtop. It’s based on an L-5, has a 16” lower bout, 25” scale, is a 15 fret, and is Sitka over maple.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post (total 3): JimWomack (Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:37 am) • Colin North (Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:27 am) • Hesh (Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:56 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Gorgeous, Michael!

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: Michaeldc (Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:20 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

joshnothing wrote:
Love the crisp, understated aesthetic. Beautiful.

Hesh wrote:
Beautiful James, looks like a great guitar soon to be.

Thanks, guys!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 56  Next