Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Focus: Build
I’ll get us back on track with some nonsense… this is “old things are new again”. A test panel with Simtec UV cured polyester (the old thing) put through the spray, sand and buff schedule using my new Airvantage sander (the new thing). God save the elbows!

Second shot is called “reflections of a wasted shop day”. :D

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 8): Hesh (Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:34 am) • Robbie_McD (Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:42 am) • Durero (Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:19 am) • Terence Kennedy (Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:12 am) • joshnothing (Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:32 am) • Michaeldc (Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:23 am) • Colin North (Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:24 am) • doncaparker (Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:32 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:35 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Thanks for rerailing our toxic train Brad :)

This thread is likely the longest running thread in OLF history me thinks or at least getting close.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: bcombs510 (Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:54 am)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
This is good news for those that love vacuum tube amps.

Vacuum Tubes

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post (total 3): Pmaj7 (Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:58 am) • bftobin (Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:03 am) • Hesh (Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:17 am)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Tubes are still the choice for high power RF amplifiers - our final amp was 12KW. We kept looking for acceptable solid state options but up to the point I retired in 2018 nobody had anything suitable for a production environment. I like tube guitar amps too, I hope the company does well; they're just down the road from us.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Hesh (Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:54 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
The basement is still cold, and I have two instruments getting finish, and then setup. I have a 7 course vihuela started, from D to g, but it should go fast. Roughing work is good when it is cold, so I started roughing out a 15.5" archtop. Why 15.5? That's what size wood I had!

The design is a regular, and a Terz guitar profile combined. 12 or 14 frets to the body depending on what side. It will be like a modern version of the vihuela in D instead of G. The way the vihuela is tuned, the vihuela can be considered a guitar in D with a high g string, and the guitar will be a guitar in D with a low A string. Long scale 680mm sort of like a baroque guitar in E. So it is just playing around.

It will have cutaways on the bass side, that make it look like the Terz side. I drew the f holes on later. They look stupid!

The guitar is quite a bit bigger than the vihuela. The vihuela has a 600 scale.

In an hour last night I got the belly roughed out to 12.5mm deep. I used the gouge I had, and could never get to work well. I sharpened it like Ken Parker does, and it works! I also cut the guitar profile out, and used the scrap for clamping. I also put folded sandpaper under the 4 legs of the bench so it doesn't walk! It could go all over the place.

Attachment:
IMG_1255.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1256.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_1257.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post (total 4): Mike OMelia (Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:52 pm) • Hesh (Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:16 am) • joshnothing (Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:40 pm) • bcombs510 (Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:31 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:20 am 

SteveSmith wrote:
Tubes are still the choice for high power RF amplifiers - our final amp was 12KW. We kept looking for acceptable solid state options but up to the point I retired in 2018 nobody had anything suitable for a production environment. I like tube guitar amps too, I hope the company does well; they're just down the road from us.

Another example of something that we let manufacturing end stateside and in hindsight that was not a great idea.

Thanks Barry we amp builders were pretty nervous about the vacuum tube supply chain and where and only where some of them are made these days.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
Drilling and routing a headstock for these Alessi tuners, from the maker's shop in Varese, Italy. Gold plated with ebony buttons. They're his low-end line, at about $450 a set, and considering the workmanship and hand engraving, I think they're a bargain. They're a joy to use.

Attachment:
DSCN9924.jpeg

Attachment:
DSCN9918.jpeg

Attachment:
DSCN9911.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post (total 3): joshnothing (Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:25 am) • Hesh (Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:51 am) • Michaeldc (Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:58 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Finished up the rims on the current instrument.

Attachment:
Completed rims.jpg

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 2): Hesh (Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:55 pm) • Michaeldc (Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:21 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:17 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
J De Rocher wrote:
Finished up the rims on the current instrument.

Attachment:
Completed rims.jpg

Very clean!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Bodying, freakin hard work!

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 4): Michaeldc (Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:40 am) • Hesh (Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:55 pm) • Barry Daniels (Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:23 pm) • joshnothing (Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:33 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Almost done with mandolin

These users thanked the author Mike OMelia for the post (total 4): Michaeldc (Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:08 am) • Chris Pile (Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:43 pm) • bcombs510 (Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:01 pm) • Hesh (Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:55 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:44 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
Did a conversion on a 62 Martin D28 to a D45 The guitar had a lot of internal issues . My customer wanted this done. Usually I don't do this on a repairable guitar but with a poor refin , terrible brace repairs and cracked bridge plate I did this. The first thing was to remove the bridge and plate. Replace the back purfling to a D45 and redo the rosette. I did this on the guitar. Then reroute the binding for the 45 converstion. I replaced the fretboard and did snowflakes. The head stock veneer was remove and CF Martin inlay set. The binding and scallping was all done Currently its in the spray booth.
You can see more details on my face book page but here are the high lights

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post (total 4): Michaeldc (Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:40 am) • Chris Pile (Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:40 pm) • Hesh (Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:19 pm) • rbuddy (Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:00 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
nice work John

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:28 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
Attachment:
8C6ABFE5-6059-4817-887C-1D80B0007B00.jpeg
Attachment:
34E09074-BD05-41EE-84CB-5F48B0BD71A1.jpeg
I get to contribute to the longest thread ever. I wasn’t done in time for Brad’s roundup Saturday, but today it’s finished. I’ve wanted a 335-like guitar since I was in high school (many decades ago). But, they can’t be bought with a wide neck. This one has a 1 13/16 nut and 2 5/16” spacing at the bridge. To get pickups wide enough, I used Seymour Duncan 7-string Benedetto pickups. I found a Gotoh bridge that was just barely wide enough. Craig Simpson (cwsimpson1@comcast.net) made the plates for me (he acquired the forms from ACME). Freeman Keller directed me to a report on his build of one of these that I used as a guide. His well-documented experience made this much easier. When i was ready for finish, the weather was cold and windy. Rather than waiting a month or setting up my interior spray booth, I decided to brush it (em6000). It probably would have been quicker to wait until it was warm enough to spray, but it came out okay. It sounds electric (I usually build and play acoustic).
Attachment:
2731EB19-7389-4595-AA07-CEE8CE8BE16D.jpeg

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post (total 4): Michaeldc (Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:41 am) • Hesh (Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:18 pm) • bcombs510 (Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:17 pm) • Chris Pile (Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:45 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Little repair and restoration on a Taterbug/Bowlback Mandolin. Amazing what Preservation Polish can do to a dirty old instrument.

Attachment:
Bowl Back1.jpg
Attachment:
Bowl Back2.jpg

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post (total 3): Bryan Bear (Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:54 pm) • Chris Pile (Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:41 pm) • bcombs510 (Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:11 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:22 am 

Wud do you notice any film residual from the Preservation polish? I tried it 15 years ago thinking it's a good idea and it is but I did not like the results. There was a fine film left that would smear the next time something touched it. I tossed the bottle and then bought another one about a year later, same results. Back to Dunlap 65. Maybe it's better now?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hesh wrote:
Wud do you notice any film residual from the Preservation polish? I tried it 15 years ago thinking it's a good idea and it is but I did not like the results. There was a fine film left that would smear the next time something touched it. I tossed the bottle and then bought another one about a year later, same results. Back to Dunlap 65. Maybe it's better now?

I wipe it down several times after finishing . Is there a film? Not really that Ive noticed , I can press my fingers on it and no finger prints are left idunno

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: Hesh (Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:50 am)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:19 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have one bottle of the preservation polish left. It's been my go to polish for many years now. I have not seen it on SM site for a long time so I think they discontinued it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
WudWerkr wrote:
Little repair and restoration on a Taterbug/Bowlback Mandolin. Amazing what Preservation Polish can do to a dirty old instrument.

Attachment:
Bowl Back1.jpg
Attachment:
Bowl Back2.jpg

There's some fine BRW in those old bowlbacks!

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Rob
Last Name: McDougall
City: Cochrane
State: Alberta
Just finished up a lefty - first guitar I have built that I could not play...:
Attachment:
119-Finished (Phone).jpg

And putting the final touches on a LP style with some unusual controls positions:
Attachment:
39-First string up (Phone).JPG

These users thanked the author Robbie_McD for the post (total 3): Hesh (Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:17 am) • Michaeldc (Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:41 am) • bcombs510 (Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:50 am)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:48 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
jfmckenna wrote:
I have one bottle of the preservation polish left. It's been my go to polish for many years now. I have not seen it on SM site for a long time so I think they discontinued it.

They did, and the product they replaced it with is not up to the same standard in my opinion.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 2): jfmckenna (Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:49 am) • bcombs510 (Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:50 am)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

joshnothing wrote:
jfmckenna wrote:

They did, and the product they replaced it with is not up to the same standard in my opinion.

Crap , I didnt know that they had discontinued it gaah guess im going to have to find it else where

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

WudWerkr wrote:
joshnothing wrote:
jfmckenna wrote:

Crap , I didnt know that they had discontinued it gaah guess im going to have to find it else where

Just not at stewmacsale dot com. :D

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Hesh (Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:16 am)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Gluing the braces onto a top for a mandocello.

Attachment:
Gluing braces to top.jpg

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 3): bcombs510 (Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:02 pm) • Durero (Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:42 pm) • Michaeldc (Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:35 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:02 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Jay, how do you like having a vacuum setup? Are you using HHG here?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 57  Next