It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Chisels
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:37 am 
Koa
Koa

Like many if you I find a good chisel that is flat and sharp to be an absolute joy to work with but I’m behind on my game.

I currently have a cheap set of desalt chisels and a wonderful blue spruce. The difference between them is … vast:)

My question is what brand do y’all recommend purchasing to replace my banger dewalts? There must be a middle ground .. I realize I’m dealing with two complete different sides of the spectrum

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Chisels
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
Bought these, never regretted it -
https://www.workshopheaven.com/ashley-iles-dovetail-chisels-half-set.html
Just grind the tips back a bit, the 1/16" at the sharp end may have lost it's temper when ground.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
+1 for Ashley Iles - Unfortunately they are all back ordered like everything else. I ordered a new pickup 4-1/2 months ago. [headinwall]

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/IL-100-40.XX

Best, M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
A few recommendations:

The chisels I use the most right now are Stanley Everlasting chisels, Model No. 40, the less rare ones with the black handles, readily available on eBay. These have pretty good steel in them, and the steel goes all the way to the back of the handle and forms a strike plate. They are heavier than other chisels, but they keep an edge really well, and since they aren't rare or super expensive, I don't have to treat them as super precious. If I need to actually whack a chisel with a mallet, these are the ones I use. Be prepared to do some rehab work on these; they show up from eBay in various states of condition.

I also own a set of Lie-Nielsen chisels. They're awesome. I take better care of these than I do of the Stanleys. But both get sharpened well. These show up super sharp and ready to use. In fact, watch your fingers along the side bevels. I've cut myself on those side edges.

I got a set of the Stanley Sweetheart reissue chisels for free at a "clean out the workshop of a deceased relative" vulture picking a few months ago. They're not bad chisels at all. If you want something not expensive and decent quality, these are a great choice. My other chisels are better, though.

Something that made a profound difference in my chisel use is adopting a reliable way to sharpen chisels FAST. If you have to take all afternoon to do it, you just won't do it that often, which means you keep using a chisel past the point where you should, and that's when the bad stuff happens. My sharpening game stepped way up when I bought a Robert Sorby Pro Edge. Fast, fast, fast, and very sharp. I tidied up one of my Everlasting chisels on the Pro Edge (10 minutes of work) and took it to my local woodworking club meeting week before last, because they had a guy there with some instrument that measures sharpness. Mine was the sharpest edge that wasn't a factory edge on a razor blade.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:31 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Having had a range of chisels available at Greenridge, my favorites were a pair of 12mm and 18mm Ulmia Two Cherries bench chisels from about 1979 (1st and 2nd from top). It may have been the decades of constant use that made them feel so good in the hand, but my similar vintage/NIB Two Cherries feel pretty nice as well, although I ground the blades down after a few years for a feel closer to that top pair (3rd and 4th tools from top). These were used for 90%+ of my chisel work, and stayed close at hand during the work day.

Tools for Working Wood sells the Ashley Iles round-back dovetail chisels individually, but as mentioned, usually out of stock on certain sizes, and especially now with supply chain issues. I liked what we had in the shop, but definitely not a budget choice at $40 each (5th and 6th tools from top in photo). Lovely feel in the hand and wafer-thin edges.

The Lie-Nielsen bevel edge socket chisels were certainly perfect for chopping out dovetails, but I seldom used them in the shop (7th and 8th from top in photo). Not shown are some random Stanley 750's that worked well for both chopping and paring - these can be found where used tools are sold or traded.

The Marples firmer shown at bottom is a very handy chisel, and would be #3 behind the pair of Two Cherries should the PATINA tool show and sale ever reconvene on a schedule where I may attend!

Attachment:
Chisels.jpg

I should mention that I did not take the photo, but instead harassed Mr. Stock to arrange and photograph. Given his recent bout with the COVID Monster, it was nice to drop by and interrupt his frantic catch-up efforts on my way back from Tyson's Corners Christmas shopping.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Durero (Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:26 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:48 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: Orr
Colin North wrote:
Bought these, never regretted it -
https://www.workshopheaven.com/ashley-iles-dovetail-chisels-half-set.html
Just grind the tips back a bit, the 1/16" at the sharp end may have lost it's temper when ground.

I have these too, great chisels and take a good edge.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
I love my set of lie nielsen bevel edges chisels. My brother sent me a set after I built a guitar for him.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
I’ve been in a search for the perfect chisel for years. I stick to socket chisels so that the ferrules don’t hit my hold-down hand when I’m carving braces. I have some Stanley Sweethearts , a Lie-Nielson, and a Woodriver socket chisel. All seem to hold a sharpened edge equally well. All of my Stanleys, bought at different times, have a top surface that is not parallel to the back resulting in a slightly skew edge when using a honing guide unless compensated for. The Stanleys were inexpensive enough that I didn’t mind rounding the outside corners in one of the half-inch chisels so that I didn’t make inadvertent gouges when I was carving braces. None of the chisels came with a handle long enough for my style of carving, so I turned longer handles. I use a half inch chisel the most. I have four now, two Stanleys (one with the rounded corners), the Lie-Nielson, and the Woodriver. When one dulls while I am working, I go to the next and only have to resharpen when all need it or when I’m done for that session. When I pick one up, my first choice is usually the Stanley.

The Lie-Nielson came with instructions to sharpen the microbevel at 35 degrees instead of 30. I called them about it. They insisted that 35 was the best angle for their chisels. I used it for a while like that, but that angle interfered with my carving (I usually carve bevel down with the angle of the chisel controlling the depth of cut). I now sharpen the microbevel to 30 on that chisel. It’s much easier to control and I haven’t noticed any longevity issues with the edge.

I use very fine grit sanding films on a granite stone followed by a leather strop for sharpening. (I used to use a quarter inch glass plate instead of the granite. I got scared that the plate would get my toes someday if I dropped it, so I sprung for the flat granite.) It takes me a couple of minutes to restore the edge on the microbevel. Every few months, I have to go back to the beginning and re-establish the 25 degree main ramp and cut a new microbevel. The 25 degree ramp doesn’t do any cutting, so it doesn’t have to be taken to the fine grits and polished—I often cut that on the belt sander. When the microbevel gets macro, the chisel doesn’t cut as well.

Home Depot sells a set of 4 of the Stanleys online for $90. That’s a good price for reasonable chisels. I saw an ad (company name forgotten) that promised chisels with a mirror polished back. I contacted them. They don’t do socket chisels yet. When they do, I’m sure I’ll try one. I haven’t found the perfect chisel yet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:27 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

For moderately high priced chisels the two cherries brand are good chisels. The Hirsch company that makes two cherries also sells Hirsch branded chisels that are made to the same quality - slightly different wood in the handles IIRC, but just as nice.
Marples blue chip chisels are good quality moderately priced chisels with no great "pride of ownership" attached to them, just decent steel.
Personally I like the old flea market finds - T.H.Witherby, P.S.&W., I Sorby, Addis, and a number of other makers that historically made good tools and can sometimes be found for under $5. Often the may need to be rehandled, but then can be picked up for a buck or two.
Since many places are "out of stock" you might want to check eBay if you want to buy a semi new set:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/252832791412?h ... SwdGFY2VrJ
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313761491342?h ... Sw6gVhjuGe
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284531628519?h ... SwkDJhlBZR
A set of chisels will last several lifetimes of nonprofessional use, and I expect the "old" chisels I have to even outlast my children's lifetimes if properly cared for, so buying a set of well maintained "used" chisels has no downside.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:01 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

For those who need something a bit longer:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154596053694?h ... Sw0vlgot6i

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
At midrange price point, I find Pfeil makes tools with good steel and spartan/minimalist yet comfortable handles. Actually, Pfeil’s simple handles are thoughtfully designed, not slick in the hands, fairly ergonomic and don’t roll on the bench. Their #1E is my favourite chisel for mitering purfs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
I have a full set of Marples, purchased in the early 80's. I bet there are a few I've never used - let alone sharpen.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:44 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Josh
Last Name: French
City: Houston
State: TX
I love my Robert Sorby chisels, and recommend them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:09 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
Nobody has mentioned Narex chisels. They're reasonably priced, take a good edge and feel good in the hand. They do take a bit of work to flatten the back and soften/smooth the edge bevels. If I remember correctly I paid about $40 for a set of four. I also have Two Cherries, Marples and many old Stanleys but mostly use the Narex now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I like the Erik Anton Berg chisels, either the socket or tang type. Well made, nice balance, get sharp and hold an edge well. No longer made, but not hard to find on ebay.

For super sharpness, the Chutaro Imai white steel 'Fujihiro' are real good, and not too expensive for a handmade tool.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:14 pm 
Koa
Koa

I collected a lot of old Stanley 750 and 720 chisels over the years. The Lie Nielsen and new Sweetheart chisels are both designed based on the old 750s. Even though I have a lot of newer chisels including Marples, Lie Nielsen and the new Sweethearts, the old 750 and 720 chisels are still my go to. A perfect mix of ergonomics, balance and edge holding. Too bad the prices are generally high for them now but still reasonable deals out there on users.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
Our faves are well worn pfeil/swiss carving chisels bought at woodwards in van 1972. Temple carvers chisels japan LV, VAN 1979. and the cro richter chisels by narex.. I have many other chisels from all over the world , I/ve retempered some in my toaster oven , and that seems to work on worn out chisels, I also like / use stubai cabinetmakers chisels with hornbeam handles an exc quality chisel equal to 2 cherries since I have both.

These users thanked the author Ernie Kleinman for the post: SnowManSnow (Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:52 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

I honestly wasn’t aware two cherries had such a following

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:50 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

SnowManSnow wrote:
I honestly wasn’t aware two cherries had such a following

Three reasons:
They are good chisels, reasonably priced, and still being made.
If you want to buy a full set of good chisels and not break the bank the German made two cherries are a good choice.
A forth reason they are popular - Marketing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The chisels I’ve stuck with are my Blue Spruce bench chisels. I also had their dovetail chisels previously, and a few of the Ashley Isles as well. Also had a few of the LMI chisels in the past. The Veritas PMV-11 chisels look cool, but I haven’t actually had one in hand.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:02 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
My favorite chisels can't be bought. They were made for me, three of them as a gift from our apprentice Link Van Cleave. Link was also Jim Krenov's apprentice at Krenov's school and taught there and Link had his own TV show on the west coast for woodworking. He also is friends with Ron Hock. So I am very fortunate to have these. If I can remember I'll take a pic today at work.

I also have Blue Spruce and some Japanese style that I like a lot too. And that ole curved glue cleaning chisel that LMI or SteMac sold back in the day is still a favorite on the bridge patches for bridge reglues. A very narrow chisel is great for the nut channel too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:26 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have one Blue Spruce paring chisel that's nice and then three Marples that get most of the work done. I also have one of those LMI 'glue clearing' chisels that gets a whole lot of use. I also have one of the Cherry chisels but I don't use it much. I just don't like the handle on it. Then of course a set of micro chisels which come in real handy for a lot of things. I never understood why some wood workers need 30 chisels and 20 planes and so on. I probably use two chisels for 90% of the work.

The Stanley Bailey set of chisels gets pretty much rave reviews from any of the online wood working magazines and the set can be had for about $60 USD. Of course like any chisel set they need to be tuned up as soon as they are purchased.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:09 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
I have a set of 6 Marples chisels that came in a nice wooden box for $30 at a yard sale. These are the wooden handled ones, I don't believe they are socket handles. They seem to hold an edge well but I have nothing to compare them to.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
New octagonal handled Two Cherries chisels are available directly from Two Cherries USA. I used the earlier Hirsch 'squashed oval' handle Two Cherries (the handle style is still available for those that favor it) for a few weeks and hated them after using the late 1970's/early 1980's Ulmia-handled versions. After dumping those Hirsch blades at PATINA, I was luck enough to find some older Ulmias online.

The new octagonal handled tools have slightly different sizing (different blade width to handle size) than my Ebay-sourced old/NIB chisels, but it has not proven to be an issue on the wider widths that I purchased new to work Martin-style darts. Warning - a 2" blade can run over $100 delivered, prompting me to opt for the American Pattern Ashley Iles in that once instance...but did opt for the new 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" Two Cherries tools for dovetailing.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Another vote for Narex. I bought a set of six 8-9 years ago and have added a few more since. Reasonable pricing, hold an edge pretty well, and work well with my sharpening system.

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for. "
Will Rogers