Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:18 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I'm in Canada, building a guitar that will end up with a friend in the US. I'm looking for a substitute for my usual EIR fingerboard so the guitar doesn't get confiscated at the boarder.

I'll be using Sundari for the binding and bridge. (Haven't worked with it yet, but it sure looks a lot like EIR.) Should I go with the same material for the fingerboard, or am I better off with something like Pau ferro? Have any of you folks used Sundari fingerboards? How do they hold frets? Do they darken nicely with oil? Do they wear about the same as EIR?

Thoughts? Opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:18 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
Focus: Build
I would check first with us customs an border enforcement, an see what woods are not allowed. See if sundari eir or pau ferro are listed Also It depends on which crossing you use . I would go to the busiest one , so that they will send you through quicker, at least thats the way it was in the late 80/s an 90/s at douglas border crossing in BC. Pau ferro is good, or hard cdn maple. You did not mention the type of guitar, Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:28 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tim
Last Name: Mullin
City: Shefford
State: QC
Zip/Postal Code: J2M 1R5
Indian rosewood in a finished guitar crosses the Canada-US border without any restriction. The ONLY timber species affected in a FINISHED instrument is Brazilian rosewood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:53 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

If the Sundari you are considering is the Rocklite product Robbie O'Brien has done a Youtube video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR0VSQQwIAs
Being a man made product it shouldn't have a problem crossing borders.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:58 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Tai
Last Name: Fu
City: Taipei
Focus: Repair
I thought rosewood is exempt for musical instrument use except for brazilian.

Did something change?

Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoon-guitars.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:28 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks for your responses.

The instrument I'm making is a steel string acoustic - so that might help to clarify with regards to my questions about the suitability of these other materials.

I was under the impression that even EIR on a finished instrument was an issue with border crossing. But it sounds like restrictions are not as tight as I had thought, and it sounds like I should have done more homework before asking. So I'll get on that.

Still, other thoughts / experiences with Sundari and Pau ferro as fingerboards will be helpful as I wonder about good alternatives to EIR.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:30 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
Dont know abt sundari , but pau ferro is available from LMI, and I have a nice one from them. That has a lot of figure , Feels l slightly heavier than BRW. It is also called morado or bolivian rosewood.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:50 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tim
Last Name: Mullin
City: Shefford
State: QC
Zip/Postal Code: J2M 1R5
phil wrote:

I was under the impression that even EIR on a finished instrument was an issue with border crossing.

And that was correct in January of 2017 when CITES clamped down on ALL trade of ALL rosewoods. But, that changed again after the next CITES meeting when they agreed the restrictions were harming users of very small quantities (instrument builders). The trade restrictions on FINISHED instruments with less than a critical weight of rosewood (Dalbergia other than Brazilian) were removed -- no permits or paperwork required. You still need permits to trade raw material across a border.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Arnold
City: Newport
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37821
Focus: Repair
Indian rosewood should not be CITES listed in any capacity. It is not endangered. The harvest is controlled by the Indian government.
The idea back in 2017 was to group all rosewoods (Dalbergia spp.) in order to curb the illegal harvesting of those that ARE threatened.
It was a nightmare for the stringed instrument trade, so the restriction was rescinded.
Brazilian remains on Appendix I, which does restrict finished goods.
Appendix II still applies to some rosewoods, but that is just for logs and lumber.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:28 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
phil wrote:
Still, other thoughts / experiences with Sundari and Pau ferro as fingerboards will be helpful as I wonder about good alternatives to EIR.

I’ve used Pau Ferro frequently for fingerboards and bridges. It’s attractive, of appropriate density and hardness , carves and machines well. I like it as much as Indian rosewood for those applications.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: phil (Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:33 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:13 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I've used katalux for fret/fingerboards, it works well. I don't think it is on any list. I got some that was called royal ebony that was half cream, half black. I made fingerboards and pegs out of both. The black half was only very slightly denser. It is relatively inexpensive. I like the variations in it.