It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Barry Daniels wrote:
I use to use fish glue to attach tops and backs to sides due to the long open time. But this discussion got me wondering, so I went out today and hunted down a bottle of Titebond "Original" Extend.

I have never used it but it sounds like a really good choice of glue for certain operations.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:29 am)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:45 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Titebond wasn't available where I live when I got started. My glue of choice then, was Lepage's yellow glue. After that, I went to Lee Valley's GF2002 cabinetmaker's glue. About five years ago, I decided to try HHG. I put off trying HHG because it sounded too complicated, but it was much easier than I expected. I've been tempted to try fish glue, but I could never get past the humidity issues. In my area, humidity is often 70% to 95% during the summer and 30% in the winter. Anything I can't glue with HHG, I use the GF2002. It has many of the characteristics of HHG. If you haven't tried it, give it a whirl. To me, It's much better than Titebond.

These users thanked the author bftobin for the post (total 2): joshnothing (Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:43 am) • Hesh (Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:31 am)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:29 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Barry Daniels wrote:
I use to use fish glue to attach tops and backs to sides due to the long open time. But this discussion got me wondering, so I went out today and hunted down a bottle of Titebond "Original" Extend.

We've used it with excellent results. Dave tested it too and shared the results (all favorable) at the Northwoods Seminar. Good choice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:58 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Focus: Build
How much practical extra open time does the extend get you? According to the Titebond website, open time for original is “4-to-6” minutes, vs “5 minutes” for extend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Hesh (Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:02 am)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:06 am 

joshnothing wrote:
How much practical extra open time does the extend get you? According to the Titebond website, open time for original is “4-to-6” minutes, vs “5 minutes” for extend.

Josh it's about double the open time at 15 minutes per Titebond. http://www.titebond.com/product/glues/d7c6f86b-93cc-4400-99ed-79f8a75a2e95

I've used it on some cracks but never felt I needed the extra time afforded over regular original Titebond.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: joshnothing (Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:20 am)

Post subject: School Me On Fish Glue !
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:19 am 
Koa
Koa

Now that’s interesting, the info I quoted from my local AU Titebond site is different that your link the the US website. I wonder if it’s just an error on the AU website or if we have a different formulation?

Thanks Hesh!

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Hesh (Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:30 am)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:33 am 

joshnothing wrote:
Now that’s interesting, the info I quoted from my local AU Titebond site is different that your link the the US website. I wonder if it’s just an error on the AU website or if we have a different formulation?

Thanks Hesh!

Or they are just in more of a hurry down there :) It might indeed be a different formulation.

My take on it is that it's original Titebond with additives to extend open time. So you likely still have the cold creep problem making it not a great choice for bridges just like Titebond original is not a great choice for bridges in my experience. But for other stuff including what Barry brought up attaching the plates to the rim it might be great.

Anyway it's an option for some applications.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:49 am 
Koa
Koa

Yes, I’m fairly committed to HHG for bridges, I’d use extend for non-critical stuff like bindings on my own builds.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Hesh (Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:43 am)