Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:00 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
banjopicks wrote:
Now I want to build a cello. [headinwall]

Sarge I followed Kathy M. building one on Facebook, very cool to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:01 am 

Clay S. wrote:
Not much instrument wise lately, but I did make a spoke for an old wool wheel and reassemble the wheel for mein Frau.

How does she sound? :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:03 am 

jfmckenna wrote:
meddlingfool wrote:
Hesh...

How much money do you save buying a kit vs just buying the amp?

Can't speak for Hesh but I built an 18 Watt Marshal clone from a kit that cost $750 bucks. Then I had my amp tech look it over and I think he charged me $50 so lets say $800. A Marshall 18 watt goes for $3500. So it's pretty significant. And the clone amp has a more useful circuitry with the TMB design. The only question is how well can an amateur build an amp? Probably not as good as the techs at Marshall or Fender but if it works it works too and it's probably always a good idea to pay a bit extra to have a pro amp tech look it over. Mine is a friend so he charges me great prices but even so it only adds a bit more to the build to bring it up to a pro level.

So in the end, most who build amps from kits probably don't do it to save money but it can.

That's a great idea to have them looked over by a pro JF, thank you I am going to do this too. We have a guy a 1.5 hour drive from us who we have sent dozens of clients to. He owes me. :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: jfmckenna (Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:50 am)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:06 am 

dzsmith wrote:
Finished one for my youngest son.
African Mahogany and Pau Ferro.
Pre-catalyzed nitro lacquer - this stuff was ready to buff in two days.
String-through body for good strumming.
Dimarzio Air Norton and Tone Zone. These sound amazing.

Very nice Dan!! And a priceless family heirloom now too. Very cool!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:14 am 

Chris Pile wrote:
Okay, Hesh - feast your eyes. It's not perfect, but it's well done. 12 year old Les Paul. I removed the nibs, planed the fingerboard (2 humps), and installed old school Gibson "school bus" frets - low and wide. This client has been with me since 1979 (he was 14).

https://i.imgur.com/jVpjBMR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/otbTCFn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jlCYaj1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UYStjNW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kuqo07T.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VNJcWbX.jpg

Very nicely done Chris it's a beauty and perfect for that guitar too. You matched the color to the binding very well too.

Folks this is what a great nut should look like. It blends in with the guitar well. Notice the side shots how it's all the way down in the channel and all the way snugged up to the fret board, no gaps. Perfect. Check out the corners how Chris rounded them and the back angle as well. This nut blends in with the instrument and looks like it's always been there.

Chris also has some string above the nut top which is what most old school Luthiers still shoot for. And he has the high string deeper in the slots, also perfect in MHO.

This is an example of a nut that is worth paying a Luthier for a couple of hours time to make and set-up your guitar with if you are fortunate enough to have someone who can do this fine work like Chris has.

Thanks for posting this Chris.

PS: Are you swamped with business we are, most we have ever seen these days and I'm working nights to not let it pass us by.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Chris Pile (Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:21 am)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:17 am 

Terence Kennedy wrote:
My life dream fulfilled. One of these came in the shop and I have a chance to discover it’s magic. :)

Image9F63576C-7BD2-430C-BED2-562BDA7C3084 by Terence Kennedy, on Flickr

:? laughing6-hehe Terry when I come into the shop around 1:00 in the morning these days I never know what crap will be waiting for me to turn into something.... well.... less crappy :)

So I can relate.

We tell people that the word "Cordoba" means bridge reglue in Spanish. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:53 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Even better Hesh, it’s an Esteban. Repair or roast marshmallows?

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Hesh (Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:50 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:11 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
Focus: Build
1 in the morning!!? Out gigging?

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

These users thanked the author banjopicks for the post: Hesh (Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:51 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Terence Kennedy wrote:

Careful, the smoke from burning that thing might be toxic wow7-eyes

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post (total 3): Hesh (Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:51 pm) • Terence Kennedy (Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am) • Michaeldc (Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:27 am)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:51 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
Wonderful work happening all over the place!

Here's yesterday's chaos....controlled chaos.....
Three acoustics hanging on the wall that are ready for final neck set and bridges - left to right a parlor, a L00, and an OM. A '61 Gretsch 6124 Single Anniversary that came in for a setup and actually had a cracked neck block. I've got the dovetail rebuilt and neck refit, and now am cleaning up some damaged binding and getting ready to refinish some small damaged areas. And a cheap Ibanez 12-string that had the bridge half pealing off, and still strung to pitch! I couldn't believe it hadn't ripped off entirely. Hardly worth the effort to fix it, it has sentimental value to the owner. Fun to have a variety of things going on. And the time to work on them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author mountain whimsy for the post (total 2): joshnothing (Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:59 pm) • Hesh (Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:52 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:10 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Skarsaune
City: Butler
State: TN
A couple of pine T-style bodies....
Attachment:
body.jpg

A CNC inlay test
Attachment:
IMG_3736.JPG

And some non-guitar work, dry assembled, ready to break down and finish.
Attachment:
UXDH9925.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Skarsaune for the post (total 2): Hesh (Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:52 pm) • Chris Pile (Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:14 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I've become much more of a homeowner than a guitarmaker over the past year, but I have one pretty close to finish prep this weekend. I need to route the truss rod access through the soundboard and neck block, round those binding edges, and sand.

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: Hesh (Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:52 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:51 pm 

Terence Kennedy wrote:

roast marshmallows! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:53 pm 

James Orr wrote:
I've become much more of a homeowner than a guitarmaker over the past year, but I have one pretty close to finish prep this weekend. I need to route the truss rod access through the soundboard and neck block, round those binding edges, and sand.

Oh the joys of home ownership eh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
Today I peeled all the old shrunken/separated binding off of an old Guild F-20, made a pickguard for an epiphone SG I acquired from someone who had tried to make it a baritone heavy metal vomit guitar (Hesh's terminology not mine), and got the color to where I want it and first coat of oil on a Tele build I've been working on.

The Tele has been a wonderful exercise of figuring out how to turn curve balls into features. It all started when my router threw the body across the garage. Luckily most of the damage was where the pickguard would go. So I cut the damaged wood out, and inlaid some maple. Then I tried to dye the maple red, but my masking job didn't work (which I was semi prepared for) so I decided to turn it into a kind of burst. I think I'm liking it so far. My original finishing plan had been a weathered/worn in barn wood thing with tarnished hardware, not a relic per se, but with some built in patina. Pretty forgiving goals.

These users thanked the author Conor_Searl for the post (total 2): Hesh (Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:21 am) • Chris Pile (Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:30 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

Making my niece a guitar for Christmas :)
Just finished the fingerboard. This was one was inlayed for me. (I’d never have gotten it that good).
Also closed the box today!
It’s a early L-1 shape ‘28 with a cut away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author SnowManSnow for the post (total 4): DannyV (Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:25 am) • joe white (Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:49 pm) • Hesh (Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:21 am) • Chris Pile (Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:30 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

SnowManSnow wrote:
Making my niece a guitar for Christmas :)
Just finished the fingerboard. This was one was inlayed for me. (I’d never have gotten it that good).
Also closed the box today!
It’s a early L-1 shape ‘28 with a cut away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice inlay! Judy Threet quality.

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post: Hesh (Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:21 am)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Looks real nice! Let's go Brandon!

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Chris Pile (Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:21 am)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:43 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
I dig that pickguard shape, Conor. Groovy.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 3): Conor_Searl (Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:30 am) • Chris Pile (Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:21 am) • Hesh (Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:23 am)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:24 am 

My three replacement 22K resistors are said to be in my mail box thanks to Tommy at StewMac so I may, more problems/mistakes not occurring.... I may get to fire up my new amp today. Whoo hoo!!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Colin North (Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:40 am)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Quote:
Judy Threet quality.

Why do I know that name?

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:17 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Chris Pile wrote:
Quote:
Judy Threet quality.

Why do I know that name?

Enjoy!
https://www.threetguitars.com/home.html

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post (total 2): Hesh (Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:17 pm) • Chris Pile (Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:05 am)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:39 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
On the question of scratchbuilding versus using a kit for a first guitar amplifier build, have purchased all of the items for what was 8 amplifiers, material or full kits are usually going to be somewhat less expensive than purchasing the SAME components al a carte. Some kit manufacturers allow component upgrades as well, so the principle advantage of sourcing materials by component - getting exactly the BOM desired - may be somewhat mitigated.

One area where I saw some real cost impacts was on the cabinet. Had we sourced the cabinets already made and covered, our aggregate cost would have been about triple what we actually saw for cabinets with hand-cut dovetail corners in low density white white pine with Tolex covering, but our labor hours per cabinet erased any cost differential.

In summary, the rationale for a BOM project versus a kit should probably be along the lines of what I heard recommended time and again to want-to-be commission customers at Greenridge: build from a BOM (aka, a la carte) ONLY when you cannot find what you want from the various offerings from kit makers. Besides the support and intimate kit maker knowledge of common assembly errors, kit makers have a very good idea as to which offering are appropriate for first-time builders.

I'll suggest the TPDRI's Shock Brothers forum once again for those contemplating or perhaps already proceeding with an amplifier project. This particular group is unlike some the other TPDRI sub-fora in that it is quite similar to OLF in tone and degree of welcome commonly afforded neophytes. A frequently seen event on the forum is a request for visual inspection of a completed tag board or initial wire dressing, with ensuing detailed conversation and - quite often - time and money-saving adjustments. On at least one occasion I noted in my deep-dive of the archives, a potentially very hazardous situation was averted due to one set of sharp eyes noting a high voltage connection made to an insulated input jack. An equivalent level of critique outside this sort of online forum would require a builder to find a local, experienced amp repair or custom maker, establish a relationship, and avail themselves of a few hours of that person's time.

Much like OLF, the advice on the Shock Brothers forum may sometimes be contradictory (shocker!!! :o ), but usually provides enough options for the recipient to move forward after consideration of what has been offered.

Best of luck for all those considering an amplifier build, and best wishes to Mr. Breakstone for a successful conclusion to his project.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 2): Robbie_McD (Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:07 pm) • Hesh (Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:20 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Quote:

Thanks, Colin - I must have met her at Symposium...

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:21 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:13 am 
Koa
Koa

Chris Pile wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, Colin - I must have met her at Symposium...

I attended one of her inlay classes many years ago. Impressive skills.

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post: Hesh (Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:21 pm)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next