Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
doncaparker wrote:
Hesh wrote:
For Dave Collins though he's not a fan of any of the chemical methods for creating a so-called lab standard. There is also the issue of range. Meaning that some digitals have the ability to be pretty accurate in certain ranged say 20 - 50 or 60 and above but they can be way off in the range that we want, 40 - 50. So we like wet bulb tech or some variation.

Hesh—

Could you elaborate on why Dave does not like using chemical methods? Assuming one uses Potassium Carbonate in the solution, range of accuracy is not the issue, because it creates RH in the sealed container of 43%, right where we want it.

Maybe it is a question of what is more convenient or what gives a faster result, but accuracy should not be the “ding” on the saturation method, if one uses the correct salt (Potassium Carbonate).

Sure Don and range is an issue. Some chemical solutions (Potassium Carbonate is only one solution there are others) produce a RH of around 75% when our range is much less. It's not unusual for the digitals specifically and even some mechanical hygrometers that we have to tested to be deemed good enough in household ranges but WAY off outside of that.

With Potassium Carbonate the only result that you will receive is how your hygrometer does at around 43%. So what about 65% and 30%? Our hygrometers are tools for working Luthiers and as such they need to have some level of accuracy or we need to know the flaws if they don't in both directions of a desired range.

I can do what I showed here in RH of 10 - 90% and have accurate results. You can't do that with chemicals.

Our needs are different than yours too. We stick $10,000 guitars in bags with car wash sponges in them and need to see in the bag an RH of 75%ish so we can close cracks but not above that so we don't do damage. With wet bulb tech we can calibrate a hygrometer to be accurate at 75%.

There are other variables as well with chemical solutions and you can ask him about that yourself if you want I don't remember all his arguments but they were good ones. We like wet bulb tech it's simple, it's physics, it does not change with the day of the week and it is not range influenced either.

Post subject: Re: Tis The Season
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:02 am 

Jim Watts wrote:
You can even do it with one thermometer. Take the reading and write it down, then put a wrap a piece of wet cloth over the end, the water should be ambient temperature, and hold it over the inlet of you shop vac until it stabilizes. This will give you the wet dry readings. NOAA even has a online calculator. https://www.ready.noaa.gov/READYmoistcal.php

Yep absolutely true Jim. Dave Collins would balk and tell you that the test is very sensitive even to our breath and our bodies in close proximity to the measurements. He would argue that taking both readings at the same time is prudent but I see your point too and agree with you, it can be done with one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:03 am 

doncaparker wrote:
Hesh wrote:
For Dave Collins though he's not a fan of any of the chemical methods for creating a so-called lab standard. There is also the issue of range. Meaning that some digitals have the ability to be pretty accurate in certain ranged say 20 - 50 or 60 and above but they can be way off in the range that we want, 40 - 50. So we like wet bulb tech or some variation.

Hesh—

Could you elaborate on why Dave does not like using chemical methods? Assuming one uses Potassium Carbonate in the solution, range of accuracy is not the issue, because it creates RH in the sealed container of 43%, right where we want it.

Maybe it is a question of what is more convenient or what gives a faster result, but accuracy should not be the “ding” on the saturation method, if one uses the correct salt (Potassium Carbonate).

I wanted to add I watched ebay for a while and found mine for $35. A bargain and I've had it for over ten years now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:12 am 

Darrel Friesen wrote:
Call me lucky but where I build here in Calgary, the humidity ranges from 25% to 50%. I'm a low volume local builder for friends and family so never have to worry about cracking which never happens in the 35% or so average around here with what I build. Bring a solid wood guitar from somewhere else could obviously be an issue. When I become rich and famous and start exporting guitars all over the world, I'll look into shop controls! :)

We have a local builder in the area who produced over 250 guitars before he hung up his tools and stopped producing ****.....

His stuff is deeply flawed and the first 100 or so were produced with no RH control. Most of them have been taken to the landfill in that the economics were not there to fix half a dozen top cracks when a new crop would spring up next year if we fixed what happened this year. I have three clients who will never buy a small builder instrument again and openly say so to everyone who will listens because they feel like they were ripped off for $3 to $5K that they paid for their flawed guitar.

One of these was deemed not economically justifiable to repair when it was only three years old.....

So of course and without this being directed at anyone specifically it's my belief, my strong belief that before anyone should attempt to build a guitar they should put in proper shop controls so that what they produce is not a heartbreak for someone else some day.

Darrel I was pretty sure of my self that I would never sell my guitars but things changed and I sold close to 50 of them. You never know if your stuff needs to be ready for prime time or not so why not just use best practices. You know too I have to say this, you do whatever you want which is always my position too :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:19 am 

Ken Nagy wrote:
I've never understood how you can control humidity completely. At my house it doesn't make sense. This year was really dry all the way till the end of summer, then it got wet. Now the sump pumps been running pretty steady for a couple months. The back yard, starting about 100 feet from the house all the way back is better than it's ever been in 30 years,even after a spring melt after a lot of snow.
The dehumidifier has only been on about half a day the entire time. I turn it off. I dumped it maybe every other day, and now, even though the water is right under the floor and even seeping in now if it rains since the ground is so saturated, I haven't dumped it in 3 days.
It's a new unit. Set at 45%. The USELESS digital says around 42 all the time. An old spring? Thang I got with a clock for 10years service at a shop says about 25%
I've brought the digital up from the basement in the winter and 45 degrees downstars, to 65 upstairs, the humidity doesn't change hardly at all. I don't have forced air or heat down there, so you'd think it would change more.
I did have a couple fretboards fall off one night several years ago. Some kind of freak thing. Some wood got black dots on it too. And some potatoes went bad!
Don't know what that was.all about!

Ken I am in the same climate as you are and I have always been able to do what it takes to have a shop nailed at 45% humidity. My first guitars were built in a suite at the residence Inn in Sunnyvale, CA. I had a dehumidifier and a humidifier in my suite. My next guitars were built in a spare bathroom shop in my condo in Ann Arbor. Same deal I took water out of the air or put it back in as required.

It's not easy, it's not cheap, it's required though if you want to produce anything that you wish to go to someone else at any point without being a problem for them. And to anyone who has any desire to sell an instrument that you produce if you do not do what it takes to build in a controlled RH you are being irresponsible and giving small builders and our industry a bad name when your stuff breaks someone's heart and cracks to pieces...... As a character on a British sit-com that I used to love used to say "I am unanimous about this!" :)

Again please know I have to always advocate for best practices but I do truly believe that job one in building any guitar is to do what it takes to have a stable and appropriate RH in your building area.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Ken Nagy (Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:40 am)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Focus: Build
Hesh wrote:
doncaparker wrote:
Hesh wrote:

Hesh—

Sure Don and range is an issue. Some chemical solutions (Potassium Carbonate is only one solution there are others) produce a RH of around 75% when our range is much less. It's not unusual for the digitals specifically and even some mechanical hygrometers that we have to tested to be deemed good enough in household ranges but WAY off outside of that.

With Potassium Carbonate the only result that you will receive is how your hygrometer does at around 43%. So what about 65% and 30%? Our hygrometers are tools for working Luthiers and as such they need to have some level of accuracy or we need to know the flaws if they don't in both directions of a desired range.

I can do what I showed here in RH of 10 - 90% and have accurate results. You can't do that with chemicals.

Our needs are different than yours too. We stick $10,000 guitars in bags with car wash sponges in them and need to see in the bag an RH of 75%ish so we can close cracks but not above that so we don't do damage. With wet bulb tech we can calibrate a hygrometer to be accurate at 75%.

There are other variables as well with chemical solutions and you can ask him about that yourself if you want I don't remember all his arguments but they were good ones. We like wet bulb tech it's simple, it's physics, it does not change with the day of the week and it is not range influenced either.

OK, I appreciate the elaboration. As with anything, everybody should use the tools they prefer. But honestly, I don't see anything in the above elaboration that should dissuade a builder who wants to control RH for building (as differentiated from a repair person who has to target an extremely high RH for a repair task) from using the Potassium Carbonate solution method for calibrating hygrometers. There's science behind that method, too. :D

I own a Psychro-Dyne also, by the way. I've had it for a few years. They can be found for varying prices on eBay.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 2): bionta (Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:35 am) • Hesh (Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:34 am)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:38 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
doncaparker wrote:

I own a Psychro-Dyne also, by the way. I've had it for a few years. They can be found for varying prices on eBay.

Well, after dreaming up several schemes for building one I noticed your mention of ebay and realized I should look before I leap. Found a used Psychro-Dyne for $20 plus $12 shipping. Thanks for the nudge.

These users thanked the author bionta for the post: Hesh (Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:12 am)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:48 am 
Koa
Koa

Hesh wrote:
Darrel Friesen wrote:
Call me lucky but where I build here in Calgary, the humidity ranges from 25% to 50%. I'm a low volume local builder for friends and family so never have to worry about cracking which never happens in the 35% or so average around here with what I build. Bring a solid wood guitar from somewhere else could obviously be an issue. When I become rich and famous and start exporting guitars all over the world, I'll look into shop controls! :)

We have a local builder in the area who produced over 250 guitars before he hung up his tools and stopped producing ****.....

His stuff is deeply flawed and the first 100 or so were produced with no RH control. Most of them have been taken to the landfill in that the economics were not there to fix half a dozen top cracks when a new crop would spring up next year if we fixed what happened this year. I have three clients who will never buy a small builder instrument again and openly say so to everyone who will listens because they feel like they were ripped off for $3 to $5K that they paid for their flawed guitar.

One of these was deemed not economically justifiable to repair when it was only three years old.....

So of course and without this being directed at anyone specifically it's my belief, my strong belief that before anyone should attempt to build a guitar they should put in proper shop controls so that what they produce is not a heartbreak for someone else some day.

Darrel I was pretty sure of my self that I would never sell my guitars but things changed and I sold close to 50 of them. You never know if your stuff needs to be ready for prime time or not so why not just use best practices. You know too I have to say this, you do whatever you want which is always my position too :)

I hear and agree with you Hesh. In 20 years of building in this climate, no cracks and no stability issues other than a tweak or two and one easy neck reset. If the humidity was ever over 50% when building, I'd expect to see issues though.

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post (total 2): Robbie_McD (Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:18 am) • Hesh (Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:12 am)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Hesh wrote:

Ken I am in the same climate as you are and I have always been able to do what it takes to have a shop nailed at 45% humidity. My first guitars were built in a suite at the residence Inn in Sunnyvale, CA. I had a dehumidifier and a humidifier in my suite. My next guitars were built in a spare bathroom shop in my condo in Ann Arbor. Same deal I took water out of the air or put it back in as required.

It's not easy, it's not cheap, it's required though if you want to produce anything that you wish to go to someone else at any point without being a problem for them. And to anyone who has any desire to sell an instrument that you produce if you do not do what it takes to build in a controlled RH you are being irresponsible and giving small builders and our industry a bad name when your stuff breaks someone's heart and cracks to pieces...... As a character on a British sit-com that I used to love used to say "I am unanimous about this!" :)

Again please know I have to always advocate for best practices but I do truly believe that job one in building any guitar is to do what it takes to have a stable and appropriate RH in your building area.

The basement has been 40-45% all year for the past couple years that I've had the separate accu rite gauge. Before that, the dehumidifier was just set for 50%. I set it at 45% now.

It is very stable. The only real change is the slow change in temps from maybe 75 in August to maybe 45 in February. The ground is behind the air. It's usually between 55 and 65. HHG is a trick. I just glued cello ribs on the last couple days.

I don't run the dehumidifier all the time in the summer, If it takes more than a day to even get half full, I turn it off. It isn't a huge unit, just the cheap middle size one in a 1200 sq. ft. space. It's not on at all in the winter. It used to feel damp down there sometimes (20 years ago) but now it never does. But now the yard is the wettest that it has ever been. I haven't dumped the thing in 2 days, and it is only 1/2 full.

Apparently the water table doesn't have anything to do with it.

This morning it was 42% and 61 degrees in the basement.The dehumidifier is off. Outside it said 36 degrees and 70%. My kindle said that it was 80%, but there wasn't any frost, and not even any dew. In the house it is 67 degrees and 49%.

I just always expect the cooler basement to be more humid than the upstairs in the summer and the winter. But it isn't. So it never makes sense to me. Doesn't cooler air have higher RH?

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: Hesh (Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:13 am)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Darrel Friesen wrote:

With that climate, you probably don't need control at all. I'm always frustrated with humidity discussions because nobody ever seems to have any tales of guitars that were built too dry, yet demand everyone build at 45% despite that being too wet to survive winter in most of the USA without humidity babysitting.

Not to mention the lack of concern for hysteresis, which in my experience makes at least a 10% RH difference. That is, wood acclimated from high humidity down to 40% remains as wet as wood acclimated from low humidity up to 50%. That's one reason I use a wood strip hygrometer, because it shows the condition of wood in the room, not the condition of the air (at least for wood that's been here a while; anything newly brought in may be acclimated in the opposite direction from the hygrometer). It's also the reason newbies so often have braced plates turn into a potato chip despite the room humidity being the same as when they braced it. I have braced plates that have sat out for years in uncontrolled humidity, and they only flatten out during the extreme dry times when the outdoor temperature drops below 0, and then return to normal when back to bracing humidity.

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:13 am) • Colin North (Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:57 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Lawrence
State: Kansas
Zip/Postal Code: 66047
Dennis, we are in the same part of the world.

I use the wood strip hygrometer to tell me its okay to brace. I use the sling hygrometer to tell me I need to check the humidifier or de-humidifier depending on the time of year.

These users thanked the author Dave Rickard for the post: Hesh (Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:14 am)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:45 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
We were using the Bovida two-way 49% packets for calibration the last year or so I was at Greenridge. We used 2-4 packets for a Tupperware tub large enough to hold both Lufft-made, Abbeon-branded analog hygrometers, the digital units used for tie-breaking and in the humidity chamber, and a remote sensor for the lab grade unit we were using for calibration.

With fresh Bovida packets from sealed containers, we did not see more than a percent difference after 24 hours with the laboratory 'chilled mirror' humidity sensor 'borrowed' from the engineering think-tank where one of the boys works versus the labeled value of 49%. I saw one of those units for sale on a used industrial equipment site and could never justify the cost ($6K!!!) given my shoe habit, but a used Psychro-Dyne at about $100 might just fit in the shop budget.

Any information on the difficulty of rebuilding a used Psychro-Dyne instrument, as well as where calibration services might be found would be useful.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Hesh (Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:37 am)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:56 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ken Nagy wrote:
Doesn't cooler air have higher RH?

The formula for RH is:

RH = The actual amount of water in the air / the amount of water that the air can hold * 100

Temperature is not a part of this equation but it has an affect. If you raise the temperature than that given body of air can hold more water in it. Now your denominator is bigger so your RH value gets smaller.

So yes if you lower the temperature it has the opposite effect and the RH would increase.

When I first started building in a basement I had a real hard time getting the RH right. I'd say you are lucky to have a basement space that stays at 45% year round. Concrete floors typically let in a lot of moisture. The fact that this is Virginia might have a lot to do with it.

My shop now is sealed with spray foam insulation and it's very easy to deal with now.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:37 am)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:27 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Meanwhile, it’s spring in the southern hemisphere so I thought I’d follow Dennis’ suggestion and make a wood strip hygrometer to complement my mechanicals…

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 3): Robbie_McD (Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:02 am) • Hesh (Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:37 am) • DennisK (Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:56 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:31 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Woodie G wrote:
Any information on the difficulty of rebuilding a used Psychro-Dyne instrument, as well as where calibration services might be found would be useful.

I can’t offer specific advice but I guess it will be as accurate as the thermometers are. No idea whether thermometers of the kind used in a psychrodyne branded unit drift or become inaccurate over time? I suspect they wouldn’t..

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Hesh (Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:38 am)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:41 am 

Woodie G wrote:
We were using the Bovida two-way 49% packets for calibration the last year or so I was at Greenridge. We used 2-4 packets for a Tupperware tub large enough to hold both Lufft-made, Abbeon-branded analog hygrometers, the digital units used for tie-breaking and in the humidity chamber, and a remote sensor for the lab grade unit we were using for calibration.

With fresh Bovida packets from sealed containers, we did not see more than a percent difference after 24 hours with the laboratory 'chilled mirror' humidity sensor 'borrowed' from the engineering think-tank where one of the boys works versus the labeled value of 49%. I saw one of those units for sale on a used industrial equipment site and could never justify the cost ($6K!!!) given my shoe habit, but a used Psychro-Dyne at about $100 might just fit in the shop budget.

Don't know of any specific source but the devices are not very complicated. Simple electric motor and some batteries and a chambered area for the two thermometer bulbs. If you need anything that I can provide with specs or pics of mine I'm very happy to provide same. Mine has a few issues but still works fine. The motor is noisy as can be and probably needs to be cleaned.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:46 pm 
OLF Sponsor
OLF Sponsor

First name: Brent
Last Name: Cole Sr
City: Craig
State: Alaska
Zip/Postal Code: 99921
Our SE Alaska rainforest is in a deep freeze and it's way DRY. Usually the shop/warehouse RH is 50-60% and now cold dry weather it's down to 22%. The top board on just about every stack has cupped as the exposed face dries over the wetter interior. I periodically flip the tip board over and it acclimates and settles down. Time to do it again.
Looking forward for our January thaw and warming temps to the 40's and a welcome rain.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Alaska Splty Woods for the post (total 2): joshnothing (Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:06 am) • Hesh (Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:59 pm)