Walnut

First name: Juergen
Last Name: Gartemann
City: Bielefeld
State: NRW
Zip/Postal Code: 33719
Focus: Build
Hello Hesh,
at first thank you for your overall support and that you share your experiences with us! A lot of stuff to think about and to keep in mind personal projects.
When I posted "000 steel string with spanish neck" and asked about how to set the neck angle, you did not answer my question but you condemned my project at once. Without knowing me, without knowing anything about my woodworking skills, my knowledge of guitarbuilding and at least not going straight into the project and its possible problems. Bolt on neck, basta. I have always in mind, that a lot of Martin´s "innovations" are made for the requirements of optimized industrial production. For example the one-piece-neck reduces the neckbuilding process about three steps and reduces the requirements to woodworking skills of the employees to a minimum, that means minimizing the costs. Because this type of neck is much weaker than a laminated neck there will be much more problems with neck relief and neck angle in the future. Good for repair men.
You have a bunch of knowledge in repairing and even building guitars, but I think only in the american, Martin way of guitarbuilding.
Your post to my problem leaves me with a feeling of not be taken serious. Because I am an amateur? Many amateurs have a profound knowledge of their subject, sometimes even more than professionals!
Nevertheless, don´t stop your postings! You are a kind person and your intention is very honorable! I respect you a lot and I learn something from every comment you do!
Again, thank you!

These users thanked the author Juergen for the post: Hesh (Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:30 am)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
Bunch of snowflakes.Joking but not really. We have a saying in construction.........don't be getting your panties in a bunch.

Anyhoot I always prescribe to if you don't like like it, scroll on by. But if you put it out there you'd like some answers or like to give answers then be prepared for the world online. It's not a big whoop.

Now we need to talk Lance into putting all of Hesh's Toots up on their own category so we can go back to learning from one another. Is Hesh a little hard on his approach at times? Not to me but I see Hesh and some other folks as being gracious enough to share their knowledge on the forum. As a student of luthiery it is not ,my place to be asking the teacher to be nicer to me in their delivery method lol

These users thanked the author dofthesea for the post (total 3): Robbie_McD (Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:25 am) • Bob Orr (Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:37 am) • Hesh (Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:30 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:36 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: Orr
[quote="Juergen"]Hello Hesh,

When I posted "000 steel string with spanish neck" and asked about how to set the neck angle, you did not answer my question but you condemned my project at once. Without knowing me, without knowing anything about my woodworking skills, my knowledge of guitarbuilding and at least not going straight into the project and its possible problems.

At some point in its life a steel string guitar is going to need a neck reset. This is nigh on impossible with a spanish heel. That is why he did not answer your question. Actually he did answer by explaining why it was a bad idea. Its not that he didn't answer your question, rather you didn't get the answer you wanted. Hesh has had more guitars over his work desk than most people have had hot dinners. Respect his experience and take his advice.

These users thanked the author Bob Orr for the post: Hesh (Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:39 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Hesh wrote:
If I have not offended you I'll just have to try harder :D

Lets have a "smack down" Your 65 , Im 62 so i can call you "OLD MAN" pfft pfft pfft laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: Hesh (Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:39 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:39 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

WudWerkr wrote:
Hesh wrote:

Lets have a "smack down" Your 65 , Im 62 so i can call you "OLD MAN" pfft pfft pfft laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

I'm a year older than Hesh. Can I call him Sonny Boy? bliss laughing6-hehe

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post (total 3): Bryan Bear (Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:09 pm) • Hesh (Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:40 am) • WudWerkr (Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:14 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Lawrence
State: Kansas
Zip/Postal Code: 66047
Clay S. wrote:
WudWerkr wrote:
Hesh wrote:

I'm a year older than Hesh. Can I call him Sonny Boy? bliss laughing6-hehe

Im 70,
YOU KIDS GET OFF MY YARD :twisted:

These users thanked the author Dave Rickard for the post: Hesh (Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:40 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

77 here children.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Hesh (Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:40 am)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:42 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
:) Thanks guys very much appreciated. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Hesh, you're just a spring chicken!

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Hesh (Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:17 am)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
If a forum post is enough to upset you then wait til you experience the continual, morale-depleting smackdowns that come when you try to actually build your first successful guitar :D

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Hesh (Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:57 am)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Well...I don't need anyone to "smack me down" nor would I tolerate it...

I am my own harshest critic-That's how I learn.

I generally walk around my shop muttering to myself that I can do better.

So if something isn't up to par, I do it over. That's the most important lesson I have learned in 50 years of doing this,not to accept something I know I can do better.
If I make a mistake It still bothers me, but only for a minute,then I get busy and make it right.

I work with a guy on the repair end of my business and we are honest with each other, but the most importantly we build each other up.

These users thanked the author Brad Goodman for the post (total 4): Gasawdust (Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:59 am) • Robbie_McD (Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:42 am) • joshnothing (Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:48 am) • Hesh (Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:58 am)