Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:43 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Nathan
Last Name: Peirson
Focus: Build
"Is there a twist in the neck too? The other good thing about using nylon strings is that typically nylon string guitars have high action. So now you have an excuse to not reset the neck ;)
Does it look like the original bridge too?"

No twist in the neck and It is the original bridge.
I took the saddle out when I put new strings on it and there was a dark wood (ebony/rosewood?) shim under just the treble side. I took out the shim, gave the saddle a 180º and tuned to pitch. The G had real problems with buzzing. I replaced the shim. When I tuned to pitch the lower E buzzed. It was then I realized there was a very slight taper to the saddle. I reversed the saddle to the original position with the shim in place and things were OK. I also know that when I took out the shim the break angle on the strings became nearly flat. You can see that in the photo I posted previously. I know I could lengthen the "slot" a bit but I am really reluctant to start doing things like that. Oh, the bridge pins I think are also original. They are non slotted, I think ebony. If not original at least pretty old. The saddle appears to be bone and I will save it and make a new one (bone) so I can get rid of the shim.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ah ok yes I noticed the saddle and thought it was compensation for a twisted neck. Awesome if those are the original pins and if it's the original ivory then I would keep that in with the shim rather than making a bone saddle.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:49 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Nathan
Last Name: Peirson
Hard to tell about the saddle and not sure how to tell the difference between Ivory and bone. I definitely won't get rid of it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:58 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thomastic makes (or has made: I have not bought any in some time) an 'S' series classical string. They use very fine steel wire rope for the core, and the trebles are wrapped with flat nylon tape. They are designed to have the tension of standard nylon strings, but have more of the sound of steel.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:30 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Looking around the internet it seems that steel strings didn't come out big until the 1900's, and nylons not until the 1940's. Synthetic strings didn't go on violins until the 70's, and gut A;s were still the norm at that time: but everyone acts like that has been FOREVER. Steel strings are cheap. Nylon strings are cheap. Synthetic violin strings? Not always so cheap. Anyway, I wondered about the strings Alan mentioned here, and found a video of them on what looks like a smallish short scale guitar. It should giver some idea of how they would sound. Now I got the song in my head. It's not a terrible thing.

https://youtu.be/-FOcHnNFzbM