All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Re: slot head tuners
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

TerrenceMitchell wrote:
This is totally wild to me. Are we really talking about getting tuners for a hand made guitar for under $20? Maybe skip a few coffee runs, or fast food lunches and buy something you feel great about.

Ha! Ain't that the truth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:14 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Tuners are something where you can get most of their value at a minimum of the cost. More expensive tuners are arguably better up to a point. A $12 set of tuners will give you 75% of the utility of a $60 set of tuners, which will give you 95% of the utility of a $600 set of tuners. I think watches and cell phones also fit this model.
Most of the guitars I build come in at around $100 for materials +the cost of tuners. Partly it is because I have accumulated materials over a long period of time and partly because I use unusual and scrounged stuff to build with.
A guitar I am presently making has a Formica type material for the back and sides and a $3 spruce soundboard. The end blocks are Baltic birch that was headed for a skip. The neck will be from some scrounged mahogany, the fretboard from a cutdown bass guitar fingerboard I paid $1 for (or $1 worth of Pau Ferro if I get more ambitious).Braces, linings, purflings, and miscellaneous bits were free or
nearly so. If I spend $12 for tuning machines it will be the single most expensive component of this guitar. Tuning machines usually are the single most expensive component of the guitars I build.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:08 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Terry
Focus: Build
Clay S. wrote:
Most of the guitars I build come in at around $100 for materials +the cost of tuners.

I can't imagine... good on ya!

Yesterday I spent $2k buying all the materials for two parlors... and they aren't getting pickups. Sounds like I'm paying about 10x more than I should be ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Well, the most expensive thing we put into just about every handmade acoustic guitar is labor, so I don’t try too hard to save every possible penny on materials. Having said that, $1,000 per guitar for materials seems like a lot. Does that include a bomb-proof case?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:52 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

doncaparker wrote:
Well, the most expensive thing we put into just about every handmade acoustic guitar is labor, so I don’t try too hard to save every possible penny on materials. Having said that, $1,000 per guitar for materials seems like a lot. Does that include a bomb-proof case?

Unfortunately, no. They are Koa bodies with $240 custom tuners, so there's over half the cost in those two parts alone...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:48 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

FRom what I've seen, all tuners work well when new these days. The gears and worms tend to be very nicely made by computer controlled machines. Better tuners have better bearings that are more solid and less likely to get out of line. That's one of the advantages to the Waverlys, the worm bearings are part of the base plate casting, rather than being riveted on in the usual way. Once the bearings get loose the gear and the worm start to chew each other up, and things go down hill fast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:03 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
From your post I was was expecting to see some kind of roller bearing on them. Even though the bearing surface is built in, it's till a wear point is it not?

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:02 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

TerrenceMitchell wrote:
Clay S. wrote:
Most of the guitars I build come in at around $100 for materials +the cost of tuners.

Yesterday I spent $2k buying all the materials for two parlors... and they aren't getting pickups. Sounds like I'm paying about 10x more than I should be ;-)

My post wasn't intended to be about how cheaply a person can build a guitar, or a criticism of those who spend more on high quality materials. Sorry if it came off that way. It is more about the fact that people have different goals in their work, and that not everyone is trying to build a "ne plus ultra" instrument every time. Many of us do this as a hobby, so we can afford to "play" and experiment as we please. If someone likes it enough to buy it, that's fine too, but perhaps not the primary reason we do it (addiction bliss ).
When Peter asked for some low cost tuner options I suggested the $12 Stew Mac offering because they work and have standard hole spacing and can be easily swapped out later if he so desires. Some of the cheap Chinese offerings do not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:35 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Clay S. wrote:
TerrenceMitchell wrote:
Clay S. wrote:

My post wasn't intended to be about how cheaply a person can build a guitar, or a criticism of those who spend more on high quality materials. Sorry if it came off that way. It is more about the fact that people have different goals in their work, and that not everyone is trying to build a "ne plus ultra" instrument every time. Many of us do this as a hobby, so we can afford to "play" and experiment as we please. If someone likes it enough to buy it, that's fine too, but perhaps not the primary reason we do it (addiction bliss ).
When Peter asked for some low cost tuner options I suggested the $12 Stew Mac offering because they work and have standard hole spacing and can be easily swapped out later if he so desires. Some of the cheap Chinese offerings do not.

Right on, I didn't take it that way at all. I know "hobby" means a lot of different things to different people. For example, I like to golf, but I'm a much better wood worker. Both hobbies, but my golf goals are nowhere near my guitar-building ones!

These users thanked the author TerrenceMitchell for the post: PatrickW (Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:10 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

[/quote]

Right on, I didn't take it that way at all. I know "hobby" means a lot of different things to different people. For example, I like to golf, but I'm a much better wood worker. Both hobbies, but my golf goals are nowhere near my guitar-building ones![/quote]

I finally broke down and got some contact lenses as I could see the ball fine for the first 250 yards and then it was just gone! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
None of the five scratchbuilt guitars I've made has cost as much as $200.00. They're all solid wood, all have Alaskan Sitka soundboards and bracing, rosewood fingerboards, some have ebony bridges, all have nitro finish. It's been a wonderful journey. My most recent build, a 12-string, is the sweetest-sounding 12-string I've ever heard, which my instructor has first refusal on (there is some karmic protection for idiots). Biggest economy: tuners. I'm delighted to be pointed towards $12.00 tuners that work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:09 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Darrel Friesen wrote:

Right on, I didn't take it that way at all. I know "hobby" means a lot of different things to different people. For example, I like to golf, but I'm a much better wood worker. Both hobbies, but my golf goals are nowhere near my guitar-building ones![/quote]

I finally broke down and got some contact lenses as I could see the ball fine for the first 250 yards and then it was just gone! :)[/quote]

Same here. I found that any sort of sport with glasses was giving me a distorted perception of where the ball/frisbee was and I had trouble catching and never really "knew" where the golfball was when I addressed the ball... Finally got some contacts that work for me on anything 4' or more and it was a game changer... no pun intended.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
TerrenceMitchell wrote:
This is totally wild to me. Are we really talking about getting tuners for a hand made guitar for under $20? Maybe skip a few coffee runs, or fast food lunches and buy something you feel great about.

I bought some cheep fake 510 Mini's off Ebay. I had to know. I used them on a guitar. I have to say they worked very well. The machining of the hole pattern was in perfect alignment of the genuine 510's I was waiting for to arrive from Japan. [:Y:] ;) :lol:

These users thanked the author DannyV for the post: TerrenceMitchell (Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:38 pm)