All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Upper bout support
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:20 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi,

J45/dreadnought do you support the area circled in the picture.

Its on the j45 plans, but what purpose does it serve to put some thin plates there?

Tia

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Upper bout support
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:21 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Picture of areaImage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
Called a popsicle brace commonly.
Serves (mainly?) to stop the soundboard splitting at the fretboard edges due to humidity changes.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
While not historically accurate, I think that area of any acoustic guitar with otherwise standard X bracing and a standard neck block would benefit from a trapezoidal patch. Just search here on the OLF for the word trapezoidal and the discussions should pop up.

In order to accommodate a truss rod that adjusts through the soundhole, I build my trapezoidal patches in three pieces: one on each side of the space needed for the adjustment, both pieces a little thicker than the space I need for the adjustment wrench, and a 1/8” cap over both to close it in.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: cablepuller1 (Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:29 am)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:31 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

doncaparker wrote:
While not historically accurate, I think that area of any acoustic guitar with otherwise standard X bracing and a standard neck block would benefit from a trapezoidal patch. Just search here on the OLF for the word trapezoidal and the discussions should pop up.

In order to accommodate a truss rod that adjusts through the soundhole, I build my trapezoidal patches in three pieces: one on each side of the space needed for the adjustment, both pieces a little thicker than the space I need for the adjustment wrench, and a 1/8” cap over both to close it in.
Thanks, what are the benefits, does it structurally benefit the neck or is it just to protect an open area from potential cracks?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I use it for crack control. I just use an offcut from the top...

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: cablepuller1 (Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:50 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:37 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
the Popsicle is there to hold the top . the top will crack from the differential shrinkage rate between the spruce and fretboard. I have yet to see a guitar that I reset a neck that doesn't show signs of that crack.
Martins are the worst at this. Gibson's are pretty good but they also glue the extension differently. Martin glues the entire extension and Gibson often just places a good dollop of glue. The Popsice brace has a long history.
I do agree that a smaller trapezoidal brace would do the job more efficiently.

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post: cablepuller1 (Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:50 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I think the main problem the 'popsicle stick' brace was meant to address is cracks in the top along either side of the fingerboard. The ebony fingerboard shrinks for a long time, and will pull a crack in the top on either side where it runs along a grain line. This weakens the top in the area that is under the greatest stress. Without some sort of reinforcement the only thing keeping the neck from shifting inward is the glue line between the upper transverse brace and the top. Often it's not up to the job, especially if the guitar gets dropped or falls backward off a stand.

In theory the large glue surface of the popsicle stick brace should keep this from happening. In practice it's often not as effective as you'd like. Most of the 'modern' glues, such as Titebond, will 'cold creep' under a sustained shear load like that: I've seen guitars where the neck has shifted inward by 1/16" or more but the glue has not actually let go: it just flowed. White glue is notorious for that, and at least some manufacturers have used it. Hide glue doesn't creep, but it also has low shock resistance, so it will sometimes let go when the guitar is dropped.

The best solution is probably to use a brace of some sort to take the load in compression. Some folks use a 'flying buttress' between the neck block and the waist, sometimes of carbon fiber. Others have use a column between neck block and tail block. I've been using an 'A' brace setup for decades now. I'm pretty sure it's effective; I've had a few come back for visits that have been dropped or fallen in ways that should have caused the neck to shift in, without any sign of it. I use a couple of braces that are about 5/16" square in section, glued to the top, that would converge on the center line at the upper edge of the top, and run outside of the soundhole. They are inlet into the upper block for 1/2" or so to their full height, run through the notched UTB, and end at the upper arms of the X. I also use a doubler around the sound hole in the space between the UTB and the X, bounded on either side by the 'A' braces. The lower ends of the 'A' are taken down to the height of the doubler (usually about .100") and trimmed down to a low triangle that gets inlet into the X arms. In theory, if you fit it well, this should take up a lot of the compression load of the neck and distribute it around the hole, preventing the neck from ever shifting forward. We'll know for sure if it worked in 75 or a hundred years....

That does not address the issue of fingerboard shrinkage, though: you can still get cracks along the sides. For that, in part, I use an extended 'chin' on the neck block that runs most of the way down to the UTB. It's made 3" wide at the upper edge, and tapers down to 2-1/2" wide, about the width of the end of the fingerboard, at the lower end. This keeps the edge, which sticks out past the sides of the 'board, from running along a single grain line. It's still possible for the board to shrink and pull a surface crack in the top, but at least it should not weaken the area. To prevent that I usually only glue the fingerboard down to the top in the center.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post (total 2): Michael Lloyd (Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:17 pm) • cablepuller1 (Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:00 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:00 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Alan Carruth wrote:
I think the main problem the 'popsicle stick' brace was meant to address is cracks in the top along either side of the fingerboard. The ebony fingerboard shrinks for a long time, and will pull a crack in the top on either side where it runs along a grain line. This weakens the top in the area that is under the greatest stress. Without some sort of reinforcement the only thing keeping the neck from shifting inward is the glue line between the upper transverse brace and the top. Often it's not up to the job, especially if the guitar gets dropped or falls backward off a stand.

In theory the large glue surface of the popsicle stick brace should keep this from happening. In practice it's often not as effective as you'd like. Most of the 'modern' glues, such as Titebond, will 'cold creep' under a sustained shear load like that: I've seen guitars where the neck has shifted inward by 1/16" or more but the glue has not actually let go: it just flowed. White glue is notorious for that, and at least some manufacturers have used it. Hide glue doesn't creep, but it also has low shock resistance, so it will sometimes let go when the guitar is dropped.

The best solution is probably to use a brace of some sort to take the load in compression. Some folks use a 'flying buttress' between the neck block and the waist, sometimes of carbon fiber. Others have use a column between neck block and tail block. I've been using an 'A' brace setup for decades now. I'm pretty sure it's effective; I've had a few come back for visits that have been dropped or fallen in ways that should have caused the neck to shift in, without any sign of it. I use a couple of braces that are about 5/16" square in section, glued to the top, that would converge on the center line at the upper edge of the top, and run outside of the soundhole. They are inlet into the upper block for 1/2" or so to their full height, run through the notched UTB, and end at the upper arms of the X. I also use a doubler around the sound hole in the space between the UTB and the X, bounded on either side by the 'A' braces. The lower ends of the 'A' are taken down to the height of the doubler (usually about .100") and trimmed down to a low triangle that gets inlet into the X arms. In theory, if you fit it well, this should take up a lot of the compression load of the neck and distribute it around the hole, preventing the neck from ever shifting forward. We'll know for sure if it worked in 75 or a hundred years....

That does not address the issue of fingerboard shrinkage, though: you can still get cracks along the sides. For that, in part, I use an extended 'chin' on the neck block that runs most of the way down to the UTB. It's made 3" wide at the upper edge, and tapers down to 2-1/2" wide, about the width of the end of the fingerboard, at the lower end. This keeps the edge, which sticks out past the sides of the 'board, from running along a single grain line. It's still possible for the board to shrink and pull a surface crack in the top, but at least it should not weaken the area. To prevent that I usually only glue the fingerboard down to the top in the center.
Great info, thank you [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
The way John Arnold described the trapezoidal patch here on the OLF some time ago (where I got this info) is that you make the grain run the same direction as the top, and you make it fit snug between the neck block and the upper transverse brace. This helps counter the force of the neck pulling into the body once the strings are on. The sides of the patch are angled (same width as the neck block at that end, same width as the soundhole at that end) to both spread that force out a bit more, and avoid having the side of this patch run parallel to the grain lines of the top. This helps avoid cracks along grain lines. So, it winds up doing what the popsicle is supposed to do, and a bit more. I think it is a grand idea.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 2): cablepuller1 (Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:04 am) • bcombs510 (Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:35 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:31 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

If you are going to use a trapezoidal patch You might consider running the grain slightly askew of the grain of the top similar to how the braces run. That might keep any grain lines from lining up, but not create the stress cross grain gluing creates.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:04 am)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:31 am 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
I use 2 angled braces, the upper end butting the neck block, going under the A brace, (too late for you) angling beside the sound hole, butting the upper X legs. I have used this pattern for many years on all my guitars. I think it is the answer to upper bout deformation.
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5F8E033E

These users thanked the author David Newton for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:05 am)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

As Clay S. says, it's always a good idea to cut patches so that the grain of the patch is not exactly aligned with the top. This goes a long way toward eliminating future cracks. If the grain of the patch is angled about 3-4 degrees across the grain of the top there will not be enough difference in the shrinkage rate to introduce harmful stress, but the patch will run across the grain enough to greatly reduce cracking issues. This is common practice in the violin repair field.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post: cablepuller1 (Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:58 am)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:37 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Interesting looking, David. I like it! Of course it's just another lap joint for me to mess up, but it looks effective.

Going back to the popsicle that goes all the way across, that is normally installed perpendicular to the top grain, correct?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:34 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Alain
Last Name: Lambert
City: Trois-Rivieres
State: Quebec
This is what I do, kind of A bracing in the top and in the back.
The braces stop at the Upper transverse brace. I leave them fairly thick maybe 3/16- 1/4 at the UTB.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Alain Lambert for the post (total 2): Ernie Kleinman (Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:31 am) • cablepuller1 (Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:59 am)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:53 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

One complaint I've heard about making "tall" braces around the soundhole is that it makes some electronic systems difficult to fit ( I still generally use them).
The X brace system keeps the braces somewhat oblique to the grain of the top, and the X provides maximum support right below the soundhole - the area I've seen "fold up" when an old parlor guitar is strung with steel. That is probably why some of the early gut strung Martin's can survive light gauge steel stringing.The popsicle brace was a later addition to the system, and some people remove them. I don't think they have much effect either way.
I sometimes wonder about all the additional effort put into stiffening the upper bout, ostensibly to reduce the need for future neck resets. I think some resets become necessary because of the "bellying" of the lower bout area of the soundboard and the overall deformation of the body.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: cablepuller1 (Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:03 am)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Clay S. wrote:
One complaint I've heard about making "tall" braces around the soundhole is that it makes some electronic systems difficult to fit ( I still generally use them). .................

Yup, had that problem retrofitting LR Braggs Anthems, and now I'm using JJB pickups with the small volume wheel in the soundhole I'm moving to flat soundhole bracing.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:29 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: Orr
David Newton wrote:
I use 2 angled braces, the upper end butting the neck block, going under the A brace, (too late for you) angling beside the sound hole, butting the upper X legs. I have used this pattern for many years on all my guitars. I think it is the answer to upper bout deformation.
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5F8E033E

I use this pattern too but mortise the ends into the neck block.