Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:03 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Aaron
Focus: Build
cablepuller1 wrote:
(apart from expensive long planer)

I got a 1903 Stanley #6 a few 10’s of dollars, and ordered a replacement knob. The most expensive part was a replacement Veritas blade. Modified the throat to fit the blade, and machined the sides to 90 degrees to the sole. Freaking awesome!

But, it’s not the plane, its the shooting board. Once I built my Rob Cosman shooting board, coupled with the plane, I can hand joint better than my jointer. I could actually use a short plane because of the design of the shooting board. You could actually use a sanding board if you design it to work with the shooting board ie: sandpaper doesn’t go to the bottom edge.

https://youtu.be/YyfvygylyJg

These users thanked the author Aaron O for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:03 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:51 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Thanks for sharing that video, Aaron. I think I will upgrade my shooting board!

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:03 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I don't use my shooting board to often. The only time I do is when the outter and inner edges of the plates are not parallel and there is not enough wood to saw them that way.

The way I do it is make the sides of the plates parallel on the table saw, removing as little as possible. Then I put a strip of sticky back sandpaper right on the table of the saw. Then slide the fence over the paper and use pressure to keep the plate against the fence (keeping the edge flush). After that all there is to do is very the down pressure on the plate as others have said, get them to candle properly, and glue 'em up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Joe Beaver wrote:
I don't use my shooting board to often. The only time I do is when the outter and inner edges of the plates are not parallel and there is not enough wood to saw them that way.

The way I do it is make the sides of the plates parallel on the table saw, removing as little as possible. Then I put a strip of sticky back sandpaper right on the table of the saw. Then slide the fence over the paper and use pressure to keep the plate against the fence (keeping the edge flush). After that all there is to do is very the down pressure on the plate as others have said, get them to candle properly, and glue 'em up.

I have about 5/6 shooting boards I use regularly for various purpoises, jointing plates, edging FBs, 15 and 10 degree angles for headplates, 22.5 for rosette segments, small 90 degrees for various, another medium one with large endstop for rib joints...
Handy things.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: cablepuller1 (Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:36 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

For various porpoises... I see! :lol:

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: cablepuller1 (Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:36 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
What was your sequence for buffing his forehead - turned out well

Ed

These users thanked the author Ruby50 for the post: cablepuller1 (Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:36 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Best looking waterborne finish I've seen in a long time.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: cablepuller1 (Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:36 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ruby50 wrote:
What was your sequence for buffing his forehead - turned out well

Ed

Ed, I just waved a can of tuna (line caught of course) at it, followed by a wet mackerel, and that was the result.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: cablepuller1 (Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:36 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:33 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
For wood that doesn’t like to plane nicely (like grabby Osage Orange), I bought an extra plane blade and sharpened it with the 30 degree microbevel on the back side effectively making the plane blade angle much steeper. It makes a big difference in jointing. It still has to be very sharp, but the back bevel really reduces that grabbing tendency that some woods have.

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post: cablepuller1 (Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:36 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

bobgramann wrote:
For wood that doesn’t like to plane nicely (like grabby Osage Orange), I bought an extra plane blade and sharpened it with the 30 degree microbevel on the back side effectively making the plane blade angle much steeper. It makes a big difference in jointing. It still has to be very sharp, but the back bevel really reduces that grabbing tendency that some woods have.

I keep a 20 degree back bevel on my no 5 plane blade for exactly the same purpose. May try 30 degree, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:05 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
I have one iron with a slight back bevel of about 7 degrees. I never would have thought of going as steep as 30 degrees that would give an effective cutting angle of 75 degrees. I guess I should feel free to go steeper.

I would thing this would be especially well suited for jointing plates since they are so narrow. The extra cutting angle wouldn't be too hard to push through such a narrow cut.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I use a very sharp, low angle Veritas jack plane, about 15" long on a shooting board that is set up to hold the tops/backs with one end slightly higher than the other (someone had published photos of one of these shooting boards here some years ago, Todd Stock?). My plane is set to take very thin shavings, just a few thousandths. Doesn't take much, before using the plane I prep the plates on my little Cutech spiral-head jointer. So far I haven't run into any problems with figured wood but for me, I think the key is taking very fine cuts.

Last edited by SteveSmith on Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post (total 2): Clinchriver (Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:42 pm) • cablepuller1 (Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:37 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Aaron O wrote:
cablepuller1 wrote:
(apart from expensive long planer)

I got a 1903 Stanley #6 a few 10’s of dollars, and ordered a replacement knob. The most expensive part was a replacement Veritas blade. Modified the throat to fit the blade, and machined the sides to 90 degrees to the sole. Freaking awesome!

But, it’s not the plane, its the shooting board. Once I built my Rob Cosman shooting board, coupled with the plane, I can hand joint better than my jointer. I could actually use a short plane because of the design of the shooting board. You could actually use a sanding board if you design it to work with the shooting board ie: sandpaper doesn’t go to the bottom edge.

https://youtu.be/YyfvygylyJg

Great video. I watched it a few days ago and have already built a shooting board similar to that. You can use it with the straight edge guide, for the edge of the plane, as Bob does, or just move the piece you are working over 1/4" and do it free hand without a guide. I also use the same shooting board with the 18" sanding beam from Stewmac. If I can't get a difficult edge straight with the plane, I can get it close with the plane and finish up with the sanding beam. If you want to use the straight edge guide on the shooting board to ride against the beam, just leave the paper off the lower edge of the beam.

These users thanked the author guitarjtb for the post: cablepuller1 (Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:37 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

As SteveSmith says, the key is to take fine cuts, and the key to that is a sharp plane.

One problem with using a very high cutting angle is that you're getting closer to scraping than shearing. Scraping tends to burnish the wood surface, compressing the fibers rather than simply cutting them off. It's a far better surface to glue to than a sanded one, but not nearly as good as one that was produced with a sharp plane. Not having the wherewithal to get a really close look at the surfaces produced by planes with different secondary bevel angles I can't say where the transition is; it's probably not a sharp divide at any rate.

I used a very small secondary bevel on my joiner plane iron, maybe at a 5-7 degree angle. I just do it by hand on the finest stone, so I can't be more exact. I also use that plane for most of my surfacing, and particularly on hardwoods, so it's always set up for hard, figured woods and a light cut. For joining I just touch up the iron to get it as sharp as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
And here is Bill Carter's (woodworker and plane maker extraordinaire) Blunt Chisel Technique. It's a 90° cutting edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re_bp5Lp0To

Handy for bridge's and other small items

Ed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:23 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Ruby50 wrote:
And here is Bill Carter's (woodworker and plane maker extraordinaire) Blunt Chisel Technique. It's a 90° cutting edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re_bp5Lp0To

Handy for bridge's and other small items

Ed
That is superb, going to try that

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk