All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
About 5 years ago I picked up some ridiculously straight quarter sawn 4x4s. They've been air drying ever since so i was curious if a tone had experience using it as a wood for back/sides or a top?

And if you have. How was it bending wise?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
Focus: Build
Hi dan , I have only used d fir for tops , in a small baritone uke sized classical guitar,it has a good tone, as well as a tenor uke. I made the fir tops thinner than spruce wrc etc . due to the d. fir I had was heavy and dense . I have also used silver mtn fir . but it is a much lighter. an less dense wood. and I made that top thicker than spruce pine wc etc.. I try to balance out the tops I use, by testing for ring tone, deflection weight, grain lines per inch etc. Good luck with it

These users thanked the author Ernie Kleinman for the post: DanKirkland (Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:48 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've used a lot of Doug fir for soundboards over the years on dulcimers and other of instruments, but never on a guitar. I prefer something less dense. Doug tends to have high surface hardness, but it is often splitty. I've never tried bending it.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post: DanKirkland (Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:47 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Haney
City: Sugar Land (Houston)
State: Texas
Zip/Postal Code: 77479
Charts that I've seen showing Young's Modulus indicate that D. Fir is very stiff. I've never used it so I can't add more.

These users thanked the author Ed Haney for the post: DanKirkland (Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:47 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:40 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
I have built guitars with DF tops. I am currently building a classical with a DF top.

I set thickness by deflection test and these tops come in at the thin side of the normal range.

If you bend it you will need to take care as heat + water will likely cause dark blotches.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:46 am) • DanKirkland (Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:47 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

Alan Carruth wrote:
I've used a lot of Doug fir for soundboards over the years on dulcimers and other of instruments, but never on a guitar. I prefer something less dense. Doug tends to have high surface hardness, but it is often splitty. I've never tried bending it.

I tend to call the stuff North American Crackwood (especially when it's vertical grain)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:32 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Livermore
State: Minnesota
I have made some fantastic guitars with DF tops and braces.

Makes great sounding instruments.

These users thanked the author Dave Livermore for the post: DanKirkland (Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:22 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Dan, ironically I have just started a doug fir guitar. A few years ago I was given a bunch of lovely straight grained fir that came from the gymnasium of our local school. It hat been planed to 1/8. I'm bored and don't need another guitar but decided to make something out of this to see what happens.

I've decided on a classical - I built a '37 Hauser years ago and gave it to my son, I'll build the doug fir guitar and compare it. I'm throwing an additional challenge to myself - I'm going to do this without electricity - I want to do everything with hand tools. The classical has several advantages here - no truss rod slot, Spanish heel instead of M&T, bridge should be simpler, no inlay, shcllac...

So I faced the first obstacle today, I hand planed the sides to .080 and bent the first one. I figured if I couldn't bend a side I would stop right here. Darn thing bent over the pipe just fine and is cooling in the mold right now. Guess I'm committed.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: DanKirkland (Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:22 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:57 am 
Koa
Koa

Hello, I have resawn about 100 Tops of Douglas Fir, but not yet used one. Perhaps I need to resaw less and built more...
Anyhow I was realy positive surprised about the Tap Tone, very promising, clean, long, deep, wide range....everthing you are looking for
I did not have any problems with cracks or wrapping. Only sometimes a Gum pocket was ruining a top set.....

Unfortunately I do not yet have any pictures.

Cheers, Alex

These users thanked the author Herr Dalbergia for the post: DanKirkland (Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:22 am)