Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Focus: Build
J De Rocher wrote:
So glad to hear that you both recovered. If you got it in Spain, that would pre-date the first known case of COVID-19 in the U.S. by almost three weeks. I hope neither of you have any persisting effects.

We are all healthy. I was talking with an ICU doctor in Seattle and she said she suspects a lot of cases came into the country from Europe during Jan. The US did not test for it even if a patient was in the ICU with respiratory illness (a lot are anyway during flu season) The CDC rules were travel from Hubei Province or known contact with someone who had no one else got tested.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
johnparchem wrote:
oval soundhole wrote:
I arrived in Spain on March 1st to work in Stephen Hill's shop for a few months and build some classical guitars with Granada on the label. When I arrived there were some cases in Madrid but nothing in Malaga or Granada....

It looks like my daughter and I came back from Madrid Jan 3rd with the virus. We both got over it before we even knew to be afraid and there was no testing in the States. My daughter got very sick with the exact symptoms for just below critical, over 101 fever for 5 days, a very deep dry cough, she started to get shortness of breath and was worried about pneumonia when she got better. I was sick at the same time but with less severe symptoms. Now we may be getting tested as plasma donors for an immunoglobulin therapy test.

My family came back from Spain on the exact same day, Jan 3rd. We have yet to get sick, but I’ve brushed off questions of exposure in Spain. No way, I’ve said. We left Spain way before the virus made it Spain. Yikes!

So glad to hear your daughter made a full recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:19 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
johnparchem wrote:
J De Rocher wrote:
So glad to hear that you both recovered. If you got it in Spain, that would pre-date the first known case of COVID-19 in the U.S. by almost three weeks. I hope neither of you have any persisting effects.

We are all healthy. I was talking with an ICU doctor in Seattle and she said she suspects a lot of cases came into the country from Europe during Jan. The US did not test for it even if a patient was in the ICU with respiratory illness (a lot are anyway during flu season) The CDC rules were travel from Hubei Province or known contact with someone who had no one else got tested.

That hits seriously close to home...

Glad you two are ok!

Best, M

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

rlrhett wrote:
My family came back from Spain on the exact same day, Jan 3rd. We have yet to get sick, but I’ve brushed off questions of exposure in Spain. No way, I’ve said. We left Spain way before the virus made it Spain. Yikes!

So glad to hear your daughter made a full recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, we ended up stuck for a most of day in the Madrid international airport after a canceled flight. We were in many crowded situations as we worked through the flight cancelation. In some ways I am lucky that my daughter got well before we really knew what was going on or I would have been in a panic as the disease progressed. Until right before it turns critical for some. She is young, and most young people beat off the virus OK.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Glad to hear you and your daughter pulled through it Parchem .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:08 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Wow!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:13 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
John , glad to hear you made it out of spain , and that you and your daughter are healthy again. You may want to have yourselves tested to make sure you are free of the virus. Stay healthy !!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:20 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ernie Kleinman wrote:
John , glad to hear you made it out of spain , and that you and your daughter are healthy again. You may want to have yourselves tested to make sure you are free of the virus. Stay healthy !!

Thanks, There is a NIH funded researcher that is going to try to get us tested to see if we can be donors for immunoglobulin as part of a new trial treatment. THen we would find if we had it or if we are still positive. Otherwise I do not meet the testing criteria. I have been very careful in terms of isolation.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: Hesh (Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:07 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

johnparchem wrote:
J De Rocher wrote:

Probably came in from multiple sources. To give you an idea, there were 73 million overseas visits by Brits in 2017. 73 million! in a population of just 66 million, all in one single year. I personally know of 3 people who teach English abroad, one in UAE, in China and one in Thailand. International flight travel is now like popping on a bus.
Spanish flu, back in 1918, traveled across the globe. No international flights existed and the fastest means of transport was the train.

These users thanked the author Michael.N. for the post: Ernie Kleinman (Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:20 am)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7