Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
Used to be a time when everyone here used their actual name.... Not some BS screen name. What happened?

Are you ashamed to ask questions and have the world know you do not know everything? I ask questions everyday. The day I stop learning is the day I am done.

Do you just not want to be known in the case you give bad advice? Maybe you should ask more questions than you answer.....

Worried what your clients may think if you ask with your real name? They are typically more concerned with final results than how you got there or what help you needed along the way. Would you want a doctor who never consulted with other doctors on hard patients?

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

Post subject: Re: What happened?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:51 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Focus: Build
For me, it was a matter of being already registered in Tapatalk on another forum with my email address. It just wouldn’t let me register under an additional username with my email address. I just resorted to use the same username I had prior to joining here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:26 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
B. Howard wrote:
Used to be a time when everyone here used their actual name.... Not some BS screen name. What happened?

Are you ashamed to ask questions and have the world know you do not know everything? I ask questions everyday. The day I stop learning is the day I am done.

Do you just not want to be known in the case you give bad advice? Maybe you should ask more questions than you answer.....

Worried what your clients may think if you ask with your real name? They are typically more concerned with final results than how you got there or what help you needed along the way. Would you want a doctor who never consulted with other doctors on hard patients?

Thank You Brian!!!! This has been a sore spot with me for years.

I'll add that I know of at least three professional Luthiers who won't answer questions from folks using anything other than their real name. I'm often finding myself saying to myself stay out of it this person can't even respect the rest of us enough to use a real name.

Now I do understand the motivation at times and that this has not been pushed for a while. Regardless real name use should not harm anyone and you may find that the quality of the answers received is greatly elevated.

Thanks Brian for this!!!! Clearly this would improve the forum in a number of respects. I'll add that this is something that Lance has encouraged in the past too.

I used to rail against the fake name use using HeavyMetalVomitDude as my straw man. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:45 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
What do you guys think about my real first name and first initial of my last? I’m somewhat uncomfortable with the internet in general. Even after all the years with it.

These users thanked the author Glen H for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:10 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:04 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
For years I've gone as KenN on a violinmaker forum. I thought my blogs were as that too. But now I see that the blogs have my full name. Did I change my Google name? I don't know. I only did KenN because my wife is into privacy, more like Glen. She asked, "You're not using your full name, are you?" I could care less. But why cause division at home? The same with avatars. Then again, I rarely look at myself, even shaving and flossing, so it might come as a shock!

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:11 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:09 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
I see nothing wrong with using a nickname as long as your personal info (first and last name at a minimum) are posted in the sidebar on the left. I've been known as Loudspeakerboy for ever. I changed my handle to Michaeldc because of post similar to Brian's.

M

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:12 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:16 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I thought I remembered when signing up for this forum many years ago that you were required, or at least highly suggested to, use your real name. I can't say that I blame people for wanting to be anonymous on the Internet. My day job is in IT and security is a serious problem every freakin' day! Something bad happens in your life the first thing the lawyers do is scour the Internet for anything that you ever said to use against you. I'm not worried about a lawyers opinion about why I think fall away is unnecessary in acoustic guitars though :D

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:36 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:28 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tim
Last Name: Mullin
City: Shefford
State: QC
Zip/Postal Code: J2M 1R5
It’s not the first time this topic has been discussed. I happen to agree with Brian and Hesh, but I know there are others with strong feelings about protecting their anonymity.

As a twist on this, I found myself in trouble on another guitar forum because I use my real name. That forum is composed mostly of acoustic guitar enthusiasts, and some of the advice offered is quite appalling. By using my real name when posting, the forum moderators decided that I was advertising, and aggressively demanded that I “donate” a higher amount. I don’t post there any more, and very rarely visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Tim Mullin for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:12 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:35 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Snip

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

Last edited by Woodie G on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 3): Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:15 pm) • Mike_P (Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:23 am) • Michaeldc (Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:22 am)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:53 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Toonces
Last Name: the Cat
City: New Smyrna Beach
State: FL
Just the other day on the AGF, (where I use my name, I made a post on the Off-Topic section. It was a nice, well intentioned post that took about 5 minutes to make. Some guy takes it way out of context and puts words in my mouth that the post absolutely did not convey. His words put me in a bad light if I didn't respond and I did - I probably spent about 30 minutes making the post and carefully wording it so there'd be no confusion. I get a dik-response back and spent another 30 minutes to an hour settling the argument.

5 minute post -- over an hour of my time having to follow up because of some a..hole.

I've had the same experience here - that's why I use my handle. Don't agree with me and call my idea dumb -- well, I don't care at all since my "name" is not known. As a professional luthier, I don't want any drama associated with my name. Some post that shows up where I'm made to either look like I don't know what I'm talking about or that I'm saying something inappropriate -- all because some idiot doesn't know how to read and understand context.

I imagine other pros feel the same way. If everybody was civil and discussed things rationally and also weighed the advice of established pros a bit more than a complete novice, then things would be drama-free. But that just isn't the case. So I like to participate a bit and give advice and avoid all drama. Hence, my name is Toonces and I'm an incredible driver.

These users thanked the author Toonces for the post (total 3): Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:16 pm) • Bri (Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:38 am) • Michaeldc (Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:22 am)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
Ahem.... your driving has been suspect for many years!

Honestly, this forum has greatest amount respect for its members than any of the other forums I frequent.
I regularly read one travel related forum and refuse to post any more as every topic seems to degenerate into name calling and political divisiveness. I still read it but its a bit sad at times.

Thanks guys, for keeping this civil.

B

These users thanked the author Bri for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:17 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Again? Really? Sorry, but this is naive ... at best.

These users thanked the author George L for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:17 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:12 am 
Koa
Koa

Well my last name is Snow:) this the name :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author SnowManSnow for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:17 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:22 am 
Koa
Koa

those that have argued the points for anonymity have put it right...there are some real fekked up people out there these days using every bit of surveillance to harass and stalk those of differing opinions, and that fact should scare the pants off of anybody who believes in a just and fair world

my motto is if (((they))) can do it,(((they))) will do it, and that has proven pretty much correct over the years when it comes to abuse of digital technology

These users thanked the author Mike_P for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:18 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:24 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
As mentioned by others , lack of courtesy , rudeness, and ad hominem attacks by trolls living in their folks basement make me wonder. I have also been attacked numerous times for failing to be PC , by the word police . So I use my real name and grow a thicker skin or a badass attitude or both . But I certainly understand an respect those that do not want to post their real names.

These users thanked the author Ernie Kleinman for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:18 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

This is not a big deal for me. I could care less whether someone uses their real name or not.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:18 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:21 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Andy
Let's see ... my privacy and protection vs opening myself up in a public forum where others that hide can flail me, find me ... yeah I'm going to pick putting my full name out there for the betterment of the forum. Genius!

p.s. Read the short story, "True Names", by Vernor Vinge.

These users thanked the author AndyB for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:18 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I don't care what name other people choose to go by on this forum. People have their reasons for what they choose to do. I use my name here because most of the folks here are cool and civil most of the time. However, on another guitar forum, I don't because it has way too many forum members who score very high on the dik-o-meter.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 2): Ernie Kleinman (Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:52 pm) • Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:19 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Woodie G wrote:
Finally, I don't see many replies to this thread by authors that comply with the use of a real name (e.g., 'first name/last name' scheme), or indeed, any other unambiguous statement of actual identity.

I comply with the real name suggestion.

I’m not going to solve all of the problems that exist online, and I don’t criticize those who choose anonymity because of those problems. However, I do want to point something out: in my opinion, the level of civility exhibited in an online discussion forum has an inverse relationship with the level of anonymity on that forum. In other words, the more anonymity, the less civility. I am not naming names (real or fake), and I won’t give examples, but in general, I see this online. I find the OLF to mostly be civil, and I think it is driven, in part, by the lower number of anonymous posters than you would see on other online fora.

I already have a professional presence online with my real name (not luthier related). If somebody wants to find me and mess with me, my use of a fake name on the OLF is not going to deter them. So, I go ahead and tell people who I really am.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:20 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Toonces wrote:
Just the other day on the AGF.

What you describe is the very reason I have given up on the AGF. Too many narcissists and not enough realistic people. Plus it just tends to be the same thing over and over every day.

You know if you really don't want to use your real name, you can just use a random first and last name that isn't yours

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:47 am) • Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:20 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Toonces
Last Name: the Cat
City: New Smyrna Beach
State: FL
This is a GREAT forum with GREAT members. My issue is that I really just want to pipe in with an opinion and that's it - not really looking to debate. So the anonymity is useful. BTW, most know my name here -- Simon Fay. So the anonymity isn't real. And I'm okay with that because the anonymity for me is for marketing/brand reasons.

The AGF is problematic. Lots of nice folks but all it takes is one dude who woke up on the wrong side of the bed -- and it happens enough over there that it's an issue.

These users thanked the author Toonces for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:20 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:20 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I use an alias on AGF and definitely prefer it that way over there. There's one other forum that I used to frequent a lot more that I use most of my real name and it's bicycle related. Sometimes better safe then sorry. The Internet can get ugly.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:21 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:35 pm 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Some really good justifications have been made here by many folks that I have to admit are very valid and often pretty sad too that we have to think this defensively.

OK I'll modify my suggestion and that is that industry pros who have their name on the Internet already in association with their craft, business or location try if not evading a crazed ex :) to use a real name and in the profile is fine, just somewhere. This is a respectful request to be clear. When I read about someone's approach to building or a repair and it interests me I'm naturally curious to know who the heck the person is and what their experience level is.

Our forum tone wood pic and name such as Brazilian Rosewood was always a very poor indicator of one's chops. I know it was my idea to do the tone wood thing back in the day. What it does describe accurately is who has the biggest mouth. I was the very first ever old growth Brazilian rosewood... :).

Anyway If those who are already present... with a web presence and industry pro would use a real name (somewhere accessible perhaps only to members such as the profile) it would be an improvement in my view. If you are uncomfortable with this no problem don't do it.

Regarding some of the other forums. We've encountered being strong armed to pay fees monthly for membership and posting when others don't have to because we are professionals and in business. Dave specifically would help someone on a forum with excellent advice and because he's who he is he was told he has to purchase a sponsorship to continue to even post as a regular member. No mention of our business was ever made by him (unlike by me...). The saddest thing about this is the members would revolt if some of them knew that their access to some of the most experienced people out here was being restricted by someone's desire to make a buck.

Anyway I understand this is not for everyone and I completely do appreciate pretty much all off the reasons given above. Nonetheless forum advice is so very suspect in its very nature anyway anyone comfortable with coming into the light of day would be appreciated. Thank You and again thank You Brian for bringing this up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
I don’t mind using my Christian name, but I’m way too handsome to post my real picture.

These users thanked the author dzsmith for the post: Hesh (Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:37 am)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
My name is Brad Combs, you killed my father, prepare to die!

My name is Brad Combs and I approve this message.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 3): Hesh (Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:38 am) • Pmaj7 (Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:55 am) • Michaeldc (Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:07 pm)