It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Open pore sarin finish
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:17 pm 
Koa
Koa

Any favorite satin open pore finishes out there? Favorite oils and such?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

SnowManSnow wrote:

SATIN .... sorry I messed up the title I don’t know how to adjust it ha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:43 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Sarin finishes get on my last nerve...just saying.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

Post subject: Open pore sarin finish
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

Woodie G wrote:
Sarin finishes get on my last nerve...just saying.

better than Satan ones

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

Guess the correct term is semi-gloss:)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

I’m just looking for something I can do well at home. ... it’s so hard , yes I know not impossible, to get a high grade gloss w ALLLLL pores filled and NO contaminants :/
I’d like to do something cleaner and thinner.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Focus: Build
Have you tried shellac? I always struggle to get all pores fully filled with pumice, but I actually prefer the semi-filled look on most woods (curly mahogany is one exception where I prefer fully filled). Fully open is usually pretty ugly with sharply defined holes in a shiny surface, but a little bit of texture breaks up the reflection and looks more natural. After filling I scrape off any residual pumice slurry (this is a pain because pumice dulls the scraper very quickly, but it's still faster than sanding), wipe on shellac, let it sit overnight, sand with micromesh rust/green/black, and wipe on dilute shellac which will fill the remaining scratches and produce a slightly streaky gloss. Not quite as good as a proper French polish, but easier.

Necks are often good fully open, especially if you orient the grain so there's near-zero runout along the back of the neck. But usually I sand it and then slop shellac on without clearing the dust out of the pores to get a partial fill. Then fine sand (400 or 600 grit), clear the dust, and wipe on dilute shellac. My thumb sticks to gloss necks like a gecko, and satin has an icky scritchy feel when sliding along it. This is a good middle ground.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
SnowManSnow wrote:
SnowManSnow wrote:

SATIN .... sorry I messed up the title I don’t know how to adjust it ha

You can modify the title by going back and editing it in your original post.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: SnowManSnow (Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:21 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
This guitar-body octave mandolin was my first go with Ecopoxy. It was really quick and easy. The neck feels great, very fast and silky. https://www.ecopoxy.com/resin-and-hardener/ It’s a bit spendy. I think it was $115CA which is about $85US. I think the 1liter kit will easily do 3-4 instruments.

Cheers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Pmaj7 (Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:05 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

Michaeldc wrote:
This guitar-body octave mandolin was my first go with Ecopoxy. It was really quick and easy. The neck feels great, very fast and silky. https://www.ecopoxy.com/resin-and-hardener/ It’s a bit spendy. I think it was $115CA which is about $85US. I think the 1liter kit will easily do 3-4 instruments.

Cheers

So in your experience did it simply flow into pores better?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:54 pm 
Koa
Koa

SnowManSnow wrote:
Michaeldc wrote:

Cheers

So in your experience did it simply flow into pores better?

Each coat is applied with a clean, lint-free cloth, wiping as much of the finish/epoxy back off as possible. When the finish goes on too thick and cures, it’s a real bugger getting it leveled back out with out having to sand. A quick scuff between coats with 0000 steel wool. Rinse and repeat 4 or so times. Rub out with 0000 at the very end, and poof. Let cure for a minimum of 5hrs between passes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Michaeldc wrote:

Cheers

It would probably be better to use the clear or UVPoxy rather than the one you linked. I use that one for composites (which it is excellent for), and it turns very yellow after a year or so. I haven't actually tried the others though, so hopefully they have the same viscosity (much more fluid than most epoxies. Very nice to work with, and no bubbles).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

DennisK wrote:
Michaeldc wrote:

Cheers

It would probably be better to use the clear or UVPoxy rather than the one you linked. I use that one for composites (which it is excellent for), and it turns very yellow after a year or so. I haven't actually tried the others though, so hopefully they have the same viscosity (much more fluid than most epoxies. Very nice to work with, and no bubbles).

This was the exact product recommended to me by Dion Guitars. It went on exactly as advertised. It is described in some of the literature I’ve read to also be an excellent finish.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Michaeldc wrote:
This was the exact product recommended to me by Dion Guitars. It went on exactly as advertised. It is described in some of the literature I’ve read to also be an excellent finish.

Fair enough. Maybe it's not opaque enough for the yellow color to be noticeable against the warm colors of wood as opposed to fiberglass.

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post: Michaeldc (Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:01 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:29 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
For a satin finish Tru Oil works well and couldn't be easier - but it takes a while. Hand apply and then wipe off. Wait half a day and then do it again. Light sand with 400-600 grit every few coats. You need to do a lot of (thin) coats. More than a dozen, and then you will be getting there. Once you have built up enough layers you can smooth it out with 0000 steel wool and then wax and buff. There are plenty of YouTube videos to guide you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
I use Waterlox original on my necks. It builds faster than other oils, is fairly tough (holds up well) & is repairable.

They also make a gloss product that will rub out to a higher sheen but you have to start with the original.

Kevin Looker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:44 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Man you are totally on the FBI watch list now :D

Tru-Oil is a fine open pore finish imho.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:45 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I have used Tru oils with great results, although was never 100% happy as in certain light on dark wood I could see faint draw lines, this could however be my technique, but I did 5 guitars like it and was happy.

Recently I thought I would try nitro spray can (satin) and researched reviews and found North West guitars, sprayed my last guitar with this and am totally chuffed with the results. I bought 1 can of sanding sealer and 2 cans of satin nitro, I only buy 2 cans incase I mess up (takes the pressure of me)

The difference between the 2 in my findings was

Tru oil - looks great but very delicate finish with possible streaking

Nitro satin- more professional looking finish which is very strong and can be sanded flat easier
(However you will need a garage to spray it because of the fumes)

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author cablepuller1 for the post: SnowManSnow (Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:09 am)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:09 am 
Koa
Koa

I’ve sworn off of nitro for now. I did a few early guitars with it... but the fumes are too much especially w my family at home. I don’t want to be exposed to the stuff and I certainly don’t want my kids exposed to it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I spray nitro in a garage breeze way (basically outside) with a powerful fan blowing out while wearing an OSHA respirator mask. It's evil stuff for sure but can be done safely. I rarely use it myself anymore for those very reasons. But it still remains my favorite finish. Love/hate I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:31 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Tai
Last Name: Fu
City: Taipei
SnowManSnow wrote:

I finish as normal, grain fill, etc. but instead of polishing I just sand to 600 and steel wool it. Makes a nice satin finish. Some customers request satin finish.

Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoon-guitars.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Tai, how does grain filling, finishing as normal, then rubbing back with 600 grit and wire wool give you a satin open pore finish?

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:28 pm 
Koa
Koa

Colin North wrote:
Tai, how does grain filling, finishing as normal, then rubbing back with 600 grit and wire wool give you a satin open pore finish?

I think he just meant a non gloss finish. I get it . But yes I’m considering finishes that are open pore for this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Tai
Last Name: Fu
City: Taipei
The problem is if you didn't grain fill the gloss should show through where the grain is, so you would actually have to use satin finish as the last coat if you wanted to leave the grains open.

Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoon-guitars.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:28 pm 
Koa
Koa

Tai Fu wrote:
The problem is if you didn't grain fill the gloss should show through where the grain is, so you would actually have to use satin finish as the last coat if you wanted to leave the grains open.

Right;) my original post is asking about this exact thing:) open pore non gloss;)