Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I have a lot of confusion about open back tuners by Gotoh. They list 3 models, SE700, SE770, and SE780 that have the shape/look that I want. The specifications, and button options on all 3 models are almost identical. The prices on the web are all over the map, so I can't get a feel whether one model is higher quality than the others.

I found a set that has an Antique Nickel finish on Allparts website, but that finish is not even listed on the Gotoh website, where button and finish options are listed. That set, on Allparts, is a good bit more expensive than the standard nickel finish.

Can anyone enlighten me?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tim
Last Name: Mullin
City: Shefford
State: QC
Zip/Postal Code: J2M 1R5
Focus: Build
All 3 bodies in the SE series are same quality. They vary only in the hole spacing and post location on the plate. If you’re building a new instrument, those differences are not likely important.

I’m guessing that the “Antique” finish referred to by Allparts is what Gotoh refers to as their X playing. They charge significantly more for it, and claim greater durability. It does have an “aged” look, but doesn’t discolour as fast as regular plating.

You can get everything Gotoh makes from http://japarts.ca/. If they don’t have it in stock, they will order direct from the factory and it will ship from Japan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Tim Mullin wrote:
All 3 bodies in the SE series are same quality. They vary only in the hole spacing and post location on the plate. If you’re building a new instrument, those differences are not likely important.

I’m guessing that the “Antique” finish referred to by Allparts is what Gotoh refers to as their X playing. They charge significantly more for it, and claim greater durability. It does have an “aged” look, but doesn’t discolour as fast as regular plating.

You can get everything Gotoh makes from http://japarts.ca/. If they don’t have it in stock, they will order direct from the factory and it will ship from Japan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That website explains it all very well. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:33 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
Allparts seems to have deals with various manufacturers of tuners to make things, or package them at least, just for them. I have bought Schaller tuners from them that are not directly available from Schaller and they always seem to come in special packaging different from what I would get when I order direct as in the cases where Allparts doesn't have the style/options wanted.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/