Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: New HHG setup
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
Got a wax warmer to replace my old HHG setup which had too much temperature swing in use.
This works much better (<0.5 deg. C swing), and was less than $30.
Also there's 2 pots so I can prepare another batch while using the first.
So, back in HHG business!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

Post subject: Re: New HHG setup
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:27 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
Did you get it from e bay ?? What temp does it keep . I/ve been using a mini crock pot for 28 yrs, and yes temp varies 5 ti 20 deg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Temperature swings in the heat source are what led me to switch to student laboratory hot plates. Much more stable. I use the MusiCaravan glue pots, which are just double boilers for glue. I’m interested to hear how the wax warmer does for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yes, got it from Ebay, keeps 60 C (140 F) with negligible temperature swings easily when set about 50 on dial, set up as per image - Aluminium cover plate with holes and wide mouthed PET bottles with stainless nut in them.
I have some Stainless Steel 5 mesh/4000 micron Wire Mesh in the bottom of the pot to stop the plastic bottles actually touching the bottom.
Each pot is only 100 watts, and would be slow to heat a pot full of water, but I heat the water first in an electric kettle.
I've already used it, both to make up HHG, and then for working on an instrument for a several hours. (First tested just with water in glass jars for a 2/3 hours to get a feel for it)
When making the HHG batch (~6.5oz.) in an open jelly jar, I set the temp to 75 C with no cover and stirred the wet granules with a thermometer until they melted at 140 F., cooled it then cut into cubes and kept in freezer.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Ernie Kleinman (Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:40 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 am 
Koa
Koa

Thanks colin just ordered one from e bay..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:01 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Tai
Last Name: Fu
City: Taipei
Focus: Repair
I often used a plastic beaker with hot water inside to heat the glue. The glue is placed inside a plastic bottle and that is dunked in the hot water. No danger of overheating and the glue is good for at least 30 minutes before it becomes too cool. The bottle also makes it convenient to use.

Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoon-guitars.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Fine if that's what you want Tai.
I find it's more convenient to be able to keep glue at 58-60deg C all day, adding glue cubes or water as needed.
As you can see I have 2 bottes, one wide mouthed with a brush and one with a nozzle.
The other bath I'm keeping at 50deg for clean-up with small sponges and a cloth for my hands.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks for the heads up!
I ordered a single pot wax warmer. I keep the glue in small bottles and wanted a smaller footprint. I think the double pot was only a couple of bucks more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I'm always interested in how other folks work with hot hide glue. I used to make large batches of it, store it in small bottles, freeze it, and reheat a bottle as needed. Nowadays, I just make a fresh small batch every time I need it. More to the point, I don't use squeeze bottles for hot hide glue any more; I've gone fully to brushes dipped in the glue. If hot hide glue were more viscous (like Titebond), maybe I would find the bottles easier to work with, but with a normal batch of hot hide glue, I find it much easier to work with by dipping and brushing on, rather than squeezing out, then spreading around with a brush.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:09 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Sweet Colin.
Thanks
Can you provide the link.
I'd like to try this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Elman Concepcion wrote:
Sweet Colin.
Thanks
Can you provide the link.
I'd like to try this.

Be it on your own head laughing6-hehe
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1200ML-Double-Wax-Waxing-Pot-Heater-Warmer-Beauty-Salon-Hair-Removal-Depilatory/132978362552?epid=26019246158&hash=item1ef620c8b8:g:lUkAAOSwwcFcgB6v#rwid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

doncaparker wrote:
I'm always interested in how other folks work with hot hide glue. I used to make large batches of it, store it in small bottles, freeze it, and reheat a bottle as needed. Nowadays, I just make a fresh small batch every time I need it. More to the point, I don't use squeeze bottles for hot hide glue any more; I've gone fully to brushes dipped in the glue. If hot hide glue were more viscous (like Titebond), maybe I would find the bottles easier to work with, but with a normal batch of hot hide glue, I find it much easier to work with by dipping and brushing on, rather than squeezing out, then spreading around with a brush.

I'm relatively new to HHG for SS (only one classical previously) so I'm just feeling my way along, trying to remember all I've read about its use on the forum and other bits and pieces.
This build, I'm going to try for all HHG, just used it for kerfed linings today, so far so good (tape side re-enforcements yesterday)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

Colin , good evening in jolly old england. Got the 2 wax burner delivered very promptly. Giving it a road test . One dial was off so it needed to be tightened . Just want to check the water temp with a candy thermometer . Thanks for the heads up cheers ernie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

That was prompt delivery. Hope all is in order and it works out for you, let me know how it goes.
Oh, and "jolly old England" is actually Scotland (better scenery, worse weather) .but I don't take offence easily